Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing myself
Introducing myself
Hello all! This is "Fortruth" I am new but feeling at home as I have received a few welcomes already. It great to be able to express my views. I am a Christian, who works in an environment that is multi-cultural (International) I work in a large humanitarian organization and hence, know of the terrible realities of the world close up- can put names and faces to people exposed to some crisis situation. its a hard world out here.

However, my belief in God has grown stronger despite that. I just can not not believe in God. He is as real to me as the keyboard I am typing on. Over the years I've been interested to know the views of atheists and what makes them not believe in God. So I found your forum and would love to engage in discussions with you all. I work full time so I can't be online for too long but I plan to commit to discussions and to try and prove my points as best as I can.

Thanks for those who have responded to my posts so far and I will respond to questions posed to me soon.

Again, happy to be here and looking forward to hate-fee, open discussions.

Cheers,

Fortruth
RE: Introducing myself
Welcome, if you're looking for discussion you'll find a ton here, especially as a theist. Good to hear you're doing some humanitarian work, that's really cool. Which organization are you involved with?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
That sounds all very interesting, welcome, looking forward to hate free discussions Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

ThanksSmile was glad to hear of sound arguments so far and was able to see my self and attitude a bit too. I work for an organization focused on emergency food aid. We do our bit on development centered activities too. Do not want to disclose the name yet...
(November 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm)Fortruth Wrote: However, my belief in God has grown stronger despite that. I just can not not believe in God. He is as real to me as the keyboard I am typing on. Over the years I've been interested to know the views of atheists and what makes them not believe in God.

Well hello there, to answer your bolded question, the complete lack of anything that can be classed as evidence is why I have never believed in god.
There is more but the introduction thread is not the place.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm)Fortruth Wrote: ThanksSmile was glad to hear of sound arguments so far and was able to see my self and attitude a bit too. I work for an organization focused on emergency food aid. We do our bit on development centered activities too. Do not want to disclose the name yet...

That's cool. Is it mostly a national organization or does it extend to other countries as well?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Thanks for telling me your reason. I can see from the out set that this evidence thing is going to pose some challenges to discussions. As you've said this is not the place to discuss this so am really looking forward to go into this is depth.
Welcome

Here's to hoping you're one of the good ones!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Fat and Faithless: Its international, so extends to other countries, across continents even...
(November 19, 2014 at 2:09 pm)Fortruth Wrote: I can see from the out set that this evidence thing is going to pose some challenges to discussions. As you've said this is not the place to discuss this so am really looking forward to go into this is depth.

It always does pose challenges to the believer; not so much to the atheist.

In any case, welcome OP! Beware of the beasts lurking within though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1033 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3685 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2164 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1582 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  New member introducing herself HHK 24 4436 July 18, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: brewer
  Introducing Meee! Panatheist 15 2578 March 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3335 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3856 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
Smile Introducing myself thedouglenz 9 2831 June 9, 2014 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut