Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Really Hate The Concept Of Free Will
I Really Hate The Concept Of Free Will
When I was a Christian, I thought that freewill was a lovely concept. Of course, the god that I worshiped didn't want his followers to be robots! As I got older, I began to follow some of my ideas to their logical conclusion.

Most Christians will say that their god gave humans free will so that they would freely decide to worship and love him. Awww....who could be upset with that
However, the same free will is responsible for humans doing sometimes unimaginably horrible things to one another.

For a time, I was happy with the answer that a perfect god does not allow evil but that human's free will is the cause of cruelty. Then one day I made the connection. We have free will, according to Christians, because god wants love. That means that babies are raped because god wants love. That is really sick.

After that, I could not believe in the Christian concept of god and that was one of the many things that started my slow movement away from faith.

I was just curious if any of you had considered how twisted the idea of free will and its consequences are?
RE: I Really Hate The Concept Of Free Will
(November 22, 2014 at 4:25 pm)Nope Wrote: Most Christians will say that their god gave humans free will so that they would freely decide to worship and love him. Awww....who could be upset with that
However, the same free will is responsible for humans doing sometimes unimaginably horrible things to one another.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for a god that supposedly created humans with free will for this purpose, the god of the old testament, the one closest to that original creation, wasn't so passionate about the concept.

The Old Testament god's first act against Adam and Eve when they exercised their free will was immediate, forcible punishment. Where's the respect for their free will? All they did was choose not to obey god's commands, the same thing that modern christians claim free will is for in the first place. When Lot's wife looked back at the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, god immediately turned her into a pillar of salt. Same deal, she should be covered under free will, but she wasn't.

The Amalekites? Dead. Human race too sinful? Death by flood. The binding of Isaac? No care for free will, just do as god says. And these are all examples from the original god's behavior. It's clear that free will wasn't god's original intention, it was an excuse added later when the problem of evil became less tolerable to people, as we got more humane to one another. It's an ad hoc rationalization, not something present in the original text.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 22, 2014 at 4:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 22, 2014 at 4:25 pm)Nope Wrote: Most Christians will say that their god gave humans free will so that they would freely decide to worship and love him. Awww....who could be upset with that

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for a god that supposedly created humans with free will for this purpose, the god of the old testament, the one closest to that original creation, wasn't so passionate about the concept.

The Old Testament god's first act against Adam and Eve when they exercised their free will was immediate, forcible punishment. Where's the respect for their free will? All they did was choose not to obey god's commands, the same thing that modern christians claim free will is for in the first place. When Lot's wife looked back at the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, god immediately turned her into a pillar of salt. Same deal, she should be covered under free will, but she wasn't.

The Amalekites? Dead. Human race too sinful? Death by flood. The binding of Isaac? No care for free will, just do as god says. And these are all examples from the original god's behavior. It's clear that free will wasn't god's original intention, it was an excuse added later when the problem of evil became less tolerable to people, as we got more humane to one another. It's an ad hoc rationalization, not something present in the original text.

Those are pretty good points that I had never considered. I often wondered why free will means that god can't show himself to humans today but he could visit with Noah and other Old Testament people.

It also makes no sense that Satan could rebel. If the reason behind free will is for humans to be able to decide freely to love god, why do angels who live in heaven and supposedly see god daily also get free will? If angels don't have free will, how could the Lucifer rebel?
What I hate about the Christians concept of free will, is that you really don't have free will. The Christians free will is a one way street, if through free will we don't want to worship god then we are going to suffer forever in the flames of burning hell, so we have no choice but to worship this maniac.
Why give people free will if you're going to punish them for actually using it? Including things that really don't harm other people, like two people of the same sex falling in love and wanting to be together.

If everything is going to go to crap as soon as sin/disobedience to Yahweh enters the world, why bother including it? It's hard to believe he doesn't want a bunch of robots, when he commands people to do what he wants and any deviation is ground for torture and death.

The only way to make sense of this is that free will was actually an accident. He either didn't mean to give us free will, or misunderstood what giving us free will would actually do.

Some people want to point out all the evil that humans commit? What have we done that Yahweh hasn't also done, or ordered people to do? I know people think he has every right to do whatever he wants, because he made us, but that's not how human society works. We're not going to get rid of child protective services, and put up a law that says parents can do whatever they want with their children, because they made those children.

The problem with free will is one of the oldest problems with the Abrahamic religions, and is not easily concluded. It's just one of many, really.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 22, 2014 at 6:08 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Why give people free will if you're going to punish them for actually using it?
Not all choices are between good and evil. You can also choose between various goods. Plus your concept of hell seems to be based on the false idea that people get sent their against their will. And the types of love that free will allows includes mutual love between people. A universe without free will is a universe without voluntary love of any kind.
It's simply another "yeah, but!" thing, like faith. Impossible to prove, so they consider it a win.
"Free will principle" is just an excuse for a deitie's lack of competence.
(November 22, 2014 at 6:39 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Plus your concept of hell seems to be based on the false idea that people get sent their against their will.

I don't want to go to hell, and I'm an atheist. Am I going, or not?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Re OP:

Do you have the free will to hate the concept of free will, or do you only think you are free to hate it?

... Now I have a headache.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The concept of atonement Foxaèr 11 1475 November 26, 2022 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 943 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  hate WinterHold 11 1397 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10543 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long Violeta-1998 51 6857 November 21, 2016 at 10:23 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25206 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1607 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Why They Hate Us brewer 1 811 June 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4098 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Hate me, for I deserved to be hated Foxaèr 20 3669 September 3, 2015 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Nope