Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
common sense
common sense
What does it mean?
What do the (American) conservatives mean by it?

What's with all of the talk about elitists, arrogance and ivory towels?
RE: common sense
What do you mean by it? Are you American? My first guess is is your discussing the right wing's "war on the intelligent"
From my experience, "common sense" in republispeak /Fox news means to oversimplify a problem and its solutions to such an extent that the person on the street understands it immediately. Example: "Drugs are bad. We therefore need to fight drugs with a war on drugs. Then we win and the problem is solved". See? A simple, common sense solution to a simple problem. Contrast this with taking into account all the sociological, medical and political subtleties which would quickly bore and confuse the audience and make it difficult to find a simple slogan.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Corporal punishment? ??
(November 24, 2014 at 7:57 am)DramaQueen Wrote: Corporal punishment? ??

Me no understand...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Is it common sense ??
At one time 'common sense' was a useful concept in the US. Everyone could assume that everyone else shared a minimum set of core competencies.

Like coffee is hot, ladders are dangerous, jumping on a cactus is stupid, don't face into the wind when vomiting from a moving car, and never tugging on Superman's cape.

Experience has shown, however, that common sense is far from a universal attribute.
The more people I've encountered...I've come to realize that common sense isn't all that ...common.
Thinking
(November 24, 2014 at 7:40 am)DramaQueen Wrote: What does it mean?

Be bloody difficult to dry yourself with an ivory towel...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 24, 2014 at 4:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 24, 2014 at 7:40 am)DramaQueen Wrote: What does it mean?

Be bloody difficult to dry yourself with an ivory towel...

Boru

It would even more difficult with the elephant still attached.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Joshua James Duggar's sentence make sense? Jehanne 6 672 August 26, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1149 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  September is the most common birth month. Losty 4 812 June 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2239 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Common places you're a regular at. c172 47 4039 March 14, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Common places of business you've never graced with your patronage? Foxaèr 45 3203 March 9, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: c172
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3678 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  25 Common Myths Minimalist 1 453 April 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Common Suburb names ignoramus 8 1428 July 7, 2016 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Christians have a sense of humor Kingpin 36 6131 January 14, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady