Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Platitudes That Help Christians Retain Their Faith
Platitudes That Help Christians Retain Their Faith
There are a number of phrases that Christians use that stop them from questioning their faith. These used to drive me crazy when I was trying desperately to retain my faith because I wasn't getting answers to my questions. Maybe you all can think of a few more.

1. It is part of god's plan.
2. We will understand when we die
3. Your human understanding can not comprehend god's greatness.
4.God doesn’t give you more than you can handle.
5. You need the faith of a little child(So stop asking questions)
6.God won't give you more than you can handle

7. Your problem is not with me but god
8. If you were a real/true Christian....

Once you hear phrases like these then the conversation for the Christian is over.
RE: Platitudes That Help Christians Retain Their Faith
Most people want and need platitudes in order to maintain belief in things which boost selfesteem, but have no fundamental reasons to be true.

If your SO asked you how she looks, you would know.
I will pray for you

Really? Am I that fucked up that I need your fake concern, or do you want to hear more gossip so you can "contribute" to the prayer list?
(November 25, 2014 at 10:19 am)Chuck Wrote: If your SO asked you how she looks, you would know.

My SO has a penis. Big Grin I'd probably go into shock if 'she' asked me how she looked.

(November 25, 2014 at 10:59 am)polar bear Wrote: I will pray for you

Really? Am I that fucked up that I need your fake concern, or do you want to hear more gossip so you can "contribute" to the prayer list?

Sometimes, I will pray for you also means, fuck you.
(November 25, 2014 at 10:59 am)polar bear Wrote: I will pray for you

Improving your attitude toward prayer is something about which I feel the need prayer for you. :-)
As far as I'm concerned, the conversation is basically over the moment anything from this list of common xtian clichés appears.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
God is always at your side, guiding you. Yeah right...

When it comes to retaining your faith, don't forget the anti-atheist platitudes! Apparently, there are none in Fox holes for one thing, so they are really someone to look down to - nothing you would want to become.

Not sure whether it qualifies as a platitude, maybe a cliche, but if you're a preacher and the kid from sunday school tells you they are not sure about what's with God, you have to answer - "everyone has doubts, even me. Jesus had doubts too, that's a normal part of growing in your faith. It's best to ask God, you'll find Him in your heart."
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yeah, "the Lord works in mysterious ways" is a very common one, that is similar to many of the ones from your OP. It's nothing but a hand wave to "answer" the hard questions in a way that doesn't actually answer anything.

This is why parody religions are so great. You talk about the FSM, and when they call it stupid, you go on about your faith in his mysterious ways.
"You couldn't have been a true Christian."

"I'm here because I want to save you from evil."

"God didn't create pain and disease and suffering, we did through our sin."

These and others are said to avoid sticky philosophical questions that might arise. Because sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalala!" makes the bad facts go away.
(November 25, 2014 at 10:06 am)Nope Wrote: There are a number of phrases that Christians use that stop them from questioning their faith. These used to drive me crazy when I was trying desperately to retain my faith because I wasn't getting answers to my questions. Maybe you all can think of a few more.

1. It is part of god's plan.
2. We will understand when we die
3. Your human understanding can not comprehend god's greatness.
4.God doesn’t give you more than you can handle.
5. You need the faith of a little child(So stop asking questions)
6.God won't give you more than you can handle

7. Your problem is not with me but god
8. If you were a real/true Christian....

Once you hear phrases like these then the conversation for the Christian is over.

to break these
1. It is part of god's plan. - logic ]if he exists were just some pawn and some game to him.
2. We will understand when we die - logic we won't yet one day we will.
3. Your human understanding can not comprehend god's greatness. - logic and reasoning and basic human intelligence and a will to learn god is simple if he existed. Also easy to figure out his motives the being is evil.
4.God doesn’t give you more than you can handle. - logic bullshit he gives everyone way to much if he existed
5. You need the faith of a little child(So stop asking questions) - logic and reasoning and a the will to question is powerful do not hinder it because it hinders learning.
6.God won't give you more than you can handle <- refer to 4
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1012 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13074 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11433 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58420 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4410 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6134 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4367 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1754 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7803 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 880 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist