Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scams
Scams
What's the most money you have been scammed out of? Or even almost scammed out of? What did you do?

I just bought a car recently, nearly new. And although I only feel slightly scammed (The car is good but I am getting half of it on a finance deal, but that isn't too uncommon) I am pissed off at the attitude of the people at the place I bought it from. They keep forgetting to call me when they're supposed to.

It just got me thinking what would I do if I had been scammed? I don't know, some sort of vigilante retribution?

On a general day to day basis I don't make big purchases often, and I avoid people who even approach me first with any sort of offer even when they say they're definitely not selling anything.

This is probably the first big purchase I've made in my life. My family went a bit crazy when they found out how much I'd spent but I can assure you it's not that much in general car terms but my family doesn't have loads of money so it is a lot to us.
The way I see it is that I do save up like a maniac and at least I don't spend my money on drink, drugs or gambling like a hell of a lot of my friends do.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Scams
Oh you know, just the entirety of my bank account - a house, 2 cars, and a continuing few hundred dollars a week - oh, and the small item of one tiny human female.
(also- pride, dignity, self respect, confidence, general trust in anything with a tits and a decent ass.......or blue eyes)

Quote:I don't spend my money on drink, drugs or gambling
We can't be friends. Angry
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Oh you know, just the entirety of my bank account - a house, 2 cars, and a continuing few hundred dollars a week - oh, and the small item of one tiny human female.
(also- pride, dignity, self respect, confidence, general trust in anything with a tits and a decent ass.......or blue eyes)

Quote:I don't spend my money on drink, drugs or gambling
We can't be friends. Angry

This scares me about marriage Tongue
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
Na, shit man, the best part about marriage is divorce. I'd recommend it (but only once...lol). Not, mind you..if the girls from Tampa though...just run.....it;s not worth losing your life. Jinetera bro....cut you in your sleep....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's funny that I should come to AF and see this thread when the following just happened:

I got a call from a place called Surace-Smith about my résumé they saw on whatever site. I just applied at a place yesterday, so I thought it might be some branch of this place. I googled the phone number to find out any information I could as the caller was unintelligible (Shri sith??). What I found was the very vague yet professional looking website of Surace-Smith, but I still had no idea what they do or what I'd be doing.

I googled the company name "Surace-Smith" and google suggested "Surace-Smith complaints". I clicked that and read this guys story:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaint...60519.html

Little research and I dodged a bullet.

Edit: "read this woman's story"
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
HAHA, yeah no!

I know I have way too much to lose. Gold Diggers are a plenty here.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I've never been scammed. I've certainly spent money unwisely, but that was due to my own poor judgment, not unethical behavior on the part of the salesman.

I have a paid up life insurance policy that I spent many years trying to get accurately and truthfully explained to me. I eventually succeeded, but it was amazing (to me at least) how pervasive lying is (was?) in the life insurance world.

I have paperwork and verbal assurances indicating the value of the policy is over $100,000. It is ACTUALLY worth slightly over $50,000. A large part of my frustration with those idiots was their determined propensity to LIE about things I would find out about while I was STILL ALIVE. Get a clue, bastards, lie about shit that won't arise till after I am dead. Is that such a fucking difficult concept to wrap your withered brain around ?!?!?!?!?!?

FUCKING ASSHOLES !!!
Financially, no.

Scammed by someone who pretended to be a friend for years and then backstabbed me.
Dying to live, living to die.
Nope, unless you count stuff like religion.
I've never been in a situation where i might get scammed. I'm an eighteen years who doesn't own much (my room can't get messy, it looks newish. Some westerners will say it lacks personality)