Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impoveing Thread Titles with Details
Impoveing Thread Titles with Details
Recently there has been a rash of “Questions for…” thread titles. Please if it is possible could people be more descriptive about the subject or issues they wish to discuss. Not only do descriptive thread titles help people decide in what threads to participate, but they also help others to follow multiple conversations and locate their own posts.

For example if someone wants to know how various Christians think about the biblical flood story “Question for Theists” is not the best title. Something like “Biblical Flood Question” would, I think, be more appropriate. Likewise a short title like “Just Venting” could be improved by adding “…about High Gas Prices”
Thank you in advance.
RE: Impoveing Thread Titles with Details
You should be reading every tread anyway. The more you read here the quicker you can be enlightened by the truth and shed your theistic nonsense.
(November 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Recently there has been a rash of “Questions for…” thread titles. Please if it is possible could people be more descriptive about the subject or issues they wish to discuss. Not only do descriptive thread titles help people decide in what threads to participate, but they also help others to follow multiple conversations and locate their own posts.

For example if someone wants to know how various Christians think about the biblical flood story “Question for Theists” is not the best title. Something like “Biblical Flood Question” would, I think, be more appropriate. Likewise a short title like “Just Venting” could be improved by adding “…about High Gas Prices”
Thank you in advance.

"Questions for..." threads are usually broad for a reason.
I would honestly like to see people stop making thread titles with spelling errors.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
"impoveing"

My head....I....I just dunno....

I however agree that adding more detail (without being OTT about it - I don't want an essay in the title) would be agreeable.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I agree to a point. I personally dislike seeing threads titled with a person's name and nothing else, for instance. I usually don't know who they are or why I should give a crap - it's worse on mobile, since there isn't even the name of the thread starter for a clue. On the other hand, titles are meant to be hooks to draw attention, so a little creative ambiguity can be a bonus.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
As much as I agree with the premise of this thread, it makes me want to start a thread called "Improving Thread Titles with Proper Spelling".
1. I agree.

2. Spelling is real.

3. What Rex said Tongue

Seriously, though, I agree. I hate titles like "What do you guys think about. . . ?"

I also dislike it when people post threads in the wrong section. For example, I like talking about philosophy, so it annoys me when people come into that section with threads about whatever shit just came into their heads. Philosophy does NOT mean "unsupported bullshit that you personally think is real deep." Or here's one: "Logic vs. Evidence" posted in the atheism thread, with no comment at all about what this supposed debate has to do with atheism. There's also another "atheist" thread about diet and vegetarianism.

Makes me wonder what "atheism" means to some people, because I'm not getting the connection.
(November 25, 2014 at 1:55 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: As much as I agree with the premise of this thread, it makes me want to start a thread called "Improving Thread Titles with Proper Spelling".

Great Minds...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(November 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Recently there has been a rash of “Questions for…” thread titles. Please if it is possible could people be more descriptive about the subject or issues they wish to discuss.

Point taken. Guilty here on my last offering in the Christian sub forum. But honestly, I'm not sure how could have narrowed it. The questions were regarding some seeming logical inconsistency in the attributes/intentions of the Christian god. My best attempt at narrowing that one would have gotten pretty wordy. Any suggestion?
Oh, and I agree, such vague titles really do impoverish thread titles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remove Vulgar Thread Titles Neo-Scholastic 191 17701 March 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Demand More Fucking Vulgarity In Thread Titles BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1623 March 16, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Spelling in thread titles Diablo 98 11702 August 11, 2014 at 9:13 am
Last Post: pocaracas