Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans and the silly way we use language.
Humans and the silly way we use language.
Not to sure about other countries but America has lots of lawyer ads selling services if you are affected by an accident or bad product. Ok, yea fine.

But sometimes they put language in it that gives me a a chuckle "If you or your family member has died", Yea, I guess that is where the "if" is important. But still, if you die, how the hell are you going to benefit, you will be dead?

I think it should be "If you have been injured or had a family member die". Doesn't matter who dies, if you are dead, the only thing a suit helps are the survivors.

I am all for medicine, and doctors too, but still, when they put medication adds on then go through the list of side effects that seem deadly compared to what it is supposed to cure. Thats another one that gives me pause.

Pedantic, admittedly.
RE: Humans and the silly way we use language.
Germany does not have that to such an extent.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Couple of years ago I had a doctor's appointment, well more psychologist actually. It was at Sam's doctor's surgery instead of mine. Anyway, I had to go up to the first floor. There was a notice in reception instructing visitors, very helpfully, to "please use lift or stairs".

I had planned on scaling the outside wall and forcing a window, but that sort of buggered it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I have a New Holland front end loader and it has a caution sticker of a guy falling out of the seat and getting his head crushed by the bucket in a circle with a line through it. Under that it says "AVOID DEATH". -_- In my head, I read it like Norm MacDonald.

This reminds me of the M18A1 Claymore mines: Face Towards Enemy.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Yes, every time I see those cautions -- "Do not use this toaster in the bathtub" -- I know I'm seeing the fingerprints of a lawsuit.

(November 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Yes, every time I see those cautions -- "Do not use this toaster in the bathtub" -- I know I'm seeing the fingerprints of a lawsuit.

And at least one moron.
(November 26, 2014 at 11:11 am)Stimbo Wrote: Couple of years ago I had a doctor's appointment, well more psychologist actually. It was at Sam's doctor's surgery instead of mine. Anyway, I had to go up to the first floor. There was a notice in reception instructing visitors, very helpfully, to "please use lift or stairs".

I had planned on scaling the outside wall and forcing a window, but that sort of buggered it.

That was for spiderman.

Wink Shades

(November 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Yes, every time I see those cautions -- "Do not use this toaster in the bathtub" -- I know I'm seeing the fingerprints of a lawsuit.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere but I remember seeing an advertisement years ago for a Fairy-Queen Barbie or something like that which had wings and showed a little girl moving it through the air as though it was flying.

It came with a verbal warning, "Caution, doll does not fly on her own" or some such.

Even as a kid I knew these things!
Dying to live, living to die.
I was once prescribed meds which had the warning, 'Ask your doctor if you have been to a region where tuberculosis is common.' Why should I ask my doctor where I've been? How the hell is HE supposed to know?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 26, 2014 at 4:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I was once prescribed meds which had the warning, 'Ask your doctor if you have been to a region where tuberculosis is common.' Why should I ask my doctor where I've been? How the hell is HE supposed to know?

Boru

Doctors are all wise and all-knowing.

All hail doctors.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(November 26, 2014 at 11:11 am)Stimbo Wrote: Couple of years ago I had a doctor's appointment, well more psychologist actually. It was at Sam's doctor's surgery instead of mine. Anyway, I had to go up to the first floor. There was a notice in reception instructing visitors, very helpfully, to "please use lift or stairs".

That was for spiderman.

Perhaps. Have you considered.... alternative explanations?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 904 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4677 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Some silly trivia questions arewethereyet 7 603 March 29, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1167 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1104 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Question regarding language Macoleco 4 576 June 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 623 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1055 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  Things you buy and never really use Theswordismyleopard 28 1830 September 1, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Inovio tests new COVID-19 vaccine on humans Megabullshit 0 194 April 7, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit