Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquinas's Fifth Way
Aquinas's Fifth Way
A quick summary of Aquinas’s Fifth Way:

“…things that lack knowledge, such as natural bodies, act for an end, and this is evident from their acting, or nearly always, in the same way…watever lacks knowledge cannot move towards and end, unless it be directed by some being endowed with knowledge and intelligence…therefore some intelligent being exists by whom all natural things are ordered to their end.”

Without some background in neo-Scholastic philosophy this can argument seems arcane so, with no small measure of trepidation I have tried to put the argument forward using more modern nomenclature as follows:
Causes are linked to effects by conceptual necessity.

1: Things (composites of material and form) remain as they are and do not change unless an external influence or power within themselves acts, i.e. a cause or reason.

2: The regularity of efficient causation requires that causes be determined to particular effects; such that, when, in the absence of a countervailing influence, cause C is directed to effect E, then C tends to have E as a result.

3: An efficient cause is an actualizing event that tends toward a specific end, that is to say, cause C attains effect E by means of intentionality.

4: Intentionality is characteristic of intelligent agency.

5: Unthinking causes do not have within themselves the power to intend toward regular effects.

6: Therefore, some intelligent agent directs unthinking causes toward their effects.

I think that’s pretty good modern summary, but I’m open to suggestions.
RE: Aquinas's Fifth Way
He lived in the 13th century. By many historians it's considered the stupidest in human history. The fact that he was rather educated and had some original thoughts back then, doesn't change the fact, that he was a theologian, firmly based in christian belief and had no access to what science teaches us today.

Of course he believed in intelligent design, because first he was a christian clergy man and second, everybody did, since there was no alternative in a time when hardly anyone could even read.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: 1: Things (composites of material and form) remain as they are and do not change unless an external influence or power within themselves acts, i.e. a cause or reason.
Okay.
Quote:2: The regularity of efficient causation requires that causes be determined to particular effects; such that, when, in the absence of a countervailing influence, cause C is directed to effect E, then C tends to have E as a result.
Okay.
Quote:3: An efficient cause is an actualizing event that tends toward a specific end, that is to say, cause C attains effect E by means of intentionality.
Not okay. We're aware of many causes which require no intelligence for efficacy. Physics & chemistry are replete with them.
Quote:4: Intentionality is characteristic of intelligent agency.
Yes but not all effects are the result of intentional causes.
Quote:5: Unthinking causes do not have within themselves the power to intend toward regular effects.
Yes they do. I'll point you at physics & chemistry again. Not only are the effect of many unthinking causes regular, they're repeatable and reproducible.
Quote:6: Therefore, some intelligent agent directs unthinking causes toward their effects.
Consequently, this conclusion is wrong.
Sum ergo sum
It's number five in particular that blows the fifth way out of the water.

Unthinking causes, like gravity, do have regular effects. The assumption that an intelligent designer or creator is necessary for there the be predictable results is not warranted..
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
He's a clergy man from the 13th fucking century. Full stop. That's as biased as can be, considering the sad state of general education back then and what people actually knew about the world around them. In short, next to nothing.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 26, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Jenny A Wrote: It's number five in particular that blows the fifth way out of the water. Unthinking causes, like gravity, do have regular effects.
Yes but why are the effects regular? That's the point of the argument.
(November 26, 2014 at 6:19 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(November 26, 2014 at 6:14 pm)Jenny A Wrote: It's number five in particular that blows the fifth way out of the water. Unthinking causes, like gravity, do have regular effects.

There's no need to require a designer or outside controller of events for effects to be regular. It is natural that the same action produces the same results consistently. It is a result of the natural properties of the objects involved. Change the properties, change the results. But regardless, the results will be regular.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 26, 2014 at 6:19 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:

Why wouldn't they be? Why is it that you think that, absent an intelligent mind directing things, the same causes in the same context would create completely different effects?

We observe that cause A causes effect B, assuming that there isn't anything else to interfere with it. Aquinas' argument, that the only reason this is so is because of an intelligent agent directing it begs the question by not offering any justification for assuming that things would be otherwise without that interference. We have the same observation, that A causes B consistently, and no indication either of an intelligent agent being involved in the process, or that A even could cause something other than B to happen in identical circumstances. Hell, we don't even have a mechanism for how that could happen.

There's a burden of proof here that's not even being attempted.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
A skeptic sees regular laws of nature and says that's how things are, let find out how they work. A person attempting to prove god says that's how things are and there must be a reason things are the way they are, god is a good all purpose explanation, therefore god. Setting aside the question of whether regular laws require a god, the problem is that god himself would then require an explanation beyond that's how things are. Such an explanation is never forthcoming.
(November 26, 2014 at 6:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(November 26, 2014 at 6:19 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Yes but why are the effects regular? That's the point of the argument.

Why wouldn't they be? Why is it that you think that, absent an intelligent mind directing things, the same causes in the same context would create completely different effects?

We observe that cause A causes effect B, assuming that there isn't anything else to interfere with it. Aquinas' argument, that the only reason this is so is because of an intelligent agent directing it begs the question by not offering any justification for assuming that things would be otherwise without that interference. We have the same observation, that A causes B consistently, and no indication either of an intelligent agent being involved in the process, or that A even could cause something other than B to happen in identical circumstances. Hell, we don't even have a mechanism for how that could happen.

There's a burden of proof here that's not even being attempted.

Wooter's one single operating principle is

"If wooters can ask stupid questions or make stupid assertions faster- sometimes by the simple expedient repeating the same thing as if there were different - than intelligent people can be bothered to humor him by answering and rebutting, then ta da god".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fifth of the Five Ways LinuxGal 37 2174 January 6, 2023 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Fireball
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6794 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1341 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Tropes'R'us - do movie tropes influence our way of thinking Alex K 18 2749 February 14, 2017 at 7:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there a right way to romantically connect with others? Kernel Sohcahtoa 32 4339 September 14, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1152 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, and Metaphysics InevitableCheese 34 12765 September 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  what is a healthy way to deal with uncertainty? Jextin 12 4395 April 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is there any way to describe this belief? Adjusted Sanity 21 9896 April 10, 2012 at 5:36 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith