Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 6:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love, valuing, appreciating vs Submission
Love, valuing, appreciating vs Submission
Islam describes the religion of God to be submission to God. But why is that the case? Submission implies it's an act of accepting a duty required by God.

But why should this be the spirit of humans? Why not an act of valuing morality or God? Why not an act of love towards God or goodness or people. Why not of appreciation of God?

Why is the religion described to be submission? Why not love?

In the Bible it is reported the two laws are love of God with all the heart and love of each human like love of yourself.

That makes more sense as a religion and law, then submission. Submission implies people do it out of a sense of duty. But I don't think this an accurate description of how humans or even Muslims operate.

People act out of valuing, loving, appreciating...People connect to the Divine because God means something great to them.

Worship shouldn't be an act of submission, but an act of love.
RE: Love, valuing, appreciating vs Submission
Sorry all I could think of when I read the Title was BDSM.

Seriously, I think worship implies a kind of submission. That god asks for worship rather tha love, suggests something about the people imaging god.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Sorry all I could think of when I read the Title was BDSM.

Seriously, I think worship implies a kind of submission. That god asks for worship rather tha love, suggests something about the people imaging god.

Beat me to it. I thought the same. Then, I have a strange mind.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Sorry all I could think of when I read the Title was BDSM.

Worship is high adoration. It's the highest classification of adoration and honoring. That means it's love. If people worship God and act of adoration to him, that's an act of love.

Submission implies they do it out of a sense of duty.

Although we should love God, we shouldn't love God because we should love him, we should love him out of love for who he is and it shouldn't be out of a sense of duty.

Worship of God should be in the spirit of love.
(December 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Worship is high adoration. It's the highest classification of adoration and honoring. That means it's love. If people worship God and act of adoration to him, that's an act of love.

Although we should love God, we shouldn't love God because we should love him, we should love him out of love for who he is and it shouldn't be out of a sense of duty.

Yes but it's the love of a subordinate. It's the dog loving the hand that feeds it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 2, 2014 at 11:03 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(December 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Worship is high adoration. It's the highest classification of adoration and honoring. That means it's love. If people worship God and act of adoration to him, that's an act of love.

Yes but it's the love of a subordinate. It's the dog loving the hand that feeds it.

Although one of our relationships is that God sustains us, provides us spiritual nourishment to our souls, and created the world, I personally love God for more then that. I love God because I know it appreciates goodness, it honors compassion mercy and justice, and I know it values many paths, loves various types of relative paths of humans and non-humans alike, is ultimately peace, is the station of absolute dignity and honour, possess all goodness, is maximum love, is the most praiseworthy, has ultimate wisdom, and is the companion of the journey. I see creation as an act of love and I appreciate his love by love. His greatness has no bounds. I love him because there is nothing to be loved but that is found in his essence, and he is the all-beloved the all-value.
Try to ask this question publicly among your peers. I'm sure you'll learn submissiveness, rather than love.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I guess I'm not really that into the whole bondage sex thing. (Sorry ladies, now the truth comes out.)

When I read this I thought about how much and when we exercise executive control and when we bend to something else. Surely everyone has an outlet, a time or circumstance when they adopt a receptive mode instead. I've heard novelists describe how certain passages happen when they stop trying to figure out what they need to have characters say and simply record the dialogue they 'hear'. Surely something like that applies in any creative endeavor.

Something else I think about in connection to this is the idea of being free to choose what you like .. but not what it is you are disposed to like. At some point you don't .. can't .. choose everything. At some point you trust something and if that's nothing but what you can prove, that is one kind of defect. Taking no control over your life -giving it all over to 'god' or whatever- that would be another kind of defect.
(December 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm)whateverist Wrote: I guess I'm not really that into the whole bondage sex thing. (Sorry ladies, now the truth comes out.)

It's alright. There's only one man I've tied up for the last 20 years. Angel

(December 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm)whateverist Wrote: When I read this I thought about how much and when we exercise executive control and when we bend to something else. Surely everyone has an outlet, a time or circumstance when they adopt a receptive mode instead. I've heard novelists describe how certain passages happen when they stop trying to figure out what they need to have characters say and simply record the dialogue they 'hear'. Surely something like that applies in any creative endeavor.

Hmm. . . I think that what we are hearing when we do that is our sub-conscience. Good artistic things can come from there, though, and here's where I pick up the BDSM metaphor, riding your subconsciousness and being subservient to it are quite different.

(December 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm)whateverist Wrote: Something else I think about in connection to this is the idea of being free to choose what you like .. but not what it is you are disposed to like. At some point you don't .. can't .. choose everything. At some point you trust something and if that's nothing but what you can prove, that is one kind of defect. Taking no control over your life -giving it all over to 'god' or whatever- that would be another kind of defect.

Exactly. And we choose to love. Worship suggests trust and love chosen in defeat.
(December 2, 2014 at 11:12 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Although one of our relationships is that God sustains us, provides us spiritual nourishment to our souls,

Or maybe 'god' is sustained by us. If atheists are correct in their lack of belief, then it is definitely man that sustains the institution of 'god'.

(December 2, 2014 at 11:12 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I love God because I know it appreciates goodness, it honors compassion mercy and justice, and I know it values many paths, loves various types of relative paths of humans and non-humans alike, is ultimately peace, is the station of absolute dignity and honour, possess all goodness, is maximum love, is the most praiseworthy, has ultimate wisdom, and is the companion of the journey. I see creation as an act of love and I appreciate his love by love. His greatness has no bounds. I love him because there is nothing to be loved but that is found in his essence, and he is the all-beloved the all-value.

That is a whole lot of your assumptions. Yours to make of course but I'm not sure why you'd offer them as reasons for anything here.