Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Commandments
10 Commandments
I'm sure by whatever "X-tians" version of the Bible they follow, this list, will be a little differently worded....

1. Thou Shalt have other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother

6. Thou shalt not kill

7. Thy shalt not commit adultery

8. Thou shalt not steal

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor

10. Thou shalt not covet

Of course people who think for themselves already know the 1st four are bullshit and are only truly recognized in some form by the followers.....

I could go into a "LONG" drawn out historical account for 6, 7, and 8..

But I wanted to know the hypocritical and ridiculous reasoning's and thought process behind 9 and 10 (Considering they are closely related and the entire Capitalism market of the U.S. (Industrial Country) can be sanctioned to "Coveting" in some form, but of course, the U.S. is supposedly founded on "Christianity"... (BS)....

And last, but not least, the 5th commandment deems you should honor your mother and father....But then you have verses like this:

Luke 14: 25Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

(Don't be a disciple)....lol

Of course there a hundred other verses throughout the Bible that depicts a "Grey area" if you will, of how "Honored" a father and mother should be viewed as.....(There are limitations and circumstances that need to be accounted for before "Truly" abiding by this rule)...

Just as I've stated in the past...."Free Will" is not Free, but circumstantial.....That is, by a Christians def....
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: 10 Commandments
@Samson,just a couple of niggles, hardly worth mentioning really but---

The Ten Commandments (which,coincidentally,are not numbered) make up a tiny part of Mosaic law. The laws are known collectively ad 'the mitzvot' and there are 613.

I mention this because :

(1) Jesus specifically admonished his followers to obey the law. It was Saul who de-Jewified Christianity to make it easy for Gentiles to join what had been an exclusively Jewish sect. IE to join you either had to be Jewish or convert,which included being circumcised and obeying the strict dietary laws.

(2) Many Christians just love to cherry pick the Mitzvot, citing the Torah to support a prejudice, such as homophobia, (Leviticus I think) and up to quite recently, slavery. ("the curse of Ham, actually a misreading introduced into common usage during the Middle Ages and persisting [in the US South] until after the Civil War)

Quote:The 613 Mitzvot (Hebrew: תרי"ג מצוות‎: Taryag Mitzvot, "613 commandments") are statements and principles of law and ethics contained in the Torah or Five Books of Moses. These principles of Biblical law are sometimes called commandments (mitzvot) or collectively as the "Law of Moses" (Torat Moshe, תורת משה), "Mosaic Law", or simply "the Law" (though these terms are ambiguous and also applied to the Torah itself).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_Mitzvot
When I have some time and energy I'd be more than happy to divulge the ins and outs of my opinions
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
rules to live by. And why not?

Did people in history kill and maim and rape and steal? Sure. Were they Christian? Sure. Does that have any validity to the objective moral judgment of these rules? Not really. Is thou shalt not kill a good rule? Sure, in almost all cases... Have people killed other people before? Sure. Does that have any bearing on whether or not the rule is valid or helpful or constructive? No. The past is the past.

If people want to live by rules, and are willing to wear it on their sleeve, why care? If I announce that I will never hurt anyone, steal from anyone, treat anyone poorly... If I insist that I will give everything I have to give to anyone who asks, why would you try to stop me? Why argue that I am wrong? What business is it of yours if (and only if) I am causing no harm to anyone? And not whether other people who say they follow similar rules to mine have or have not followed their rules in the past, that has no bearing on my responsibility or ability to follow my own rules in the present...

Blah.
Quote:Why argue that I am wrong?

I doubt that anyone is saying that you are wrong. What we are asking you to do is keep your religion in your homes and churches and out of our courthouses and science classes. Is that so hard?
(February 18, 2010 at 7:47 am)tackattack Wrote: When I have some time and energy I'd be more than happy to divulge the ins and outs of my opinions

I wont hold my breathe.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

I doubt that anyone is saying that you are wrong. What we are asking you to do is keep your religion in your homes and churches and out of our courthouses and science classes. Is that so hard?

This is a place of learning. Talking snakes need not apply. Smile
(February 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm)tavarish Wrote:
(February 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

This is a place of learning. Talking snakes need not apply. Smile

But in a court room preferred.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

padraic...I've stated that history lesson on more than one occasion....But it just does not seem to sink in to the point of;

1. The Jews did not come up with these laws 1st.. and the Xtians Bible sure as hell did not...

2. The morality in the 4 of killing, stealing, cheating, coveting, etc. was a secular type reasoning throughout human history...Just as you can see it happening in the Animal kingdom (Especially Apes)...

It's not that I have a problem with the choice few commandments. My problem is the others and the fact that it has nothing to do with any type of morality.

Just as Min said, keep the babble out of my children's schools and Government....
(February 18, 2010 at 7:47 am)tackattack Wrote: When I have some time and energy I'd be more than happy to divulge the ins and outs of my opinions

Np, take your time.....Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
I've heard an argument somewhat related to the expounding of the law, which claims Jesus advised to follow Mosaic Law, but strictly in a pacifist, do-no-harm way.

I don't have scripture to back that up, and I don't really understand how that works. It's a Seventh Day Adventist thing...
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 514 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  are there different versions of the 10 commandments ? yampampuza 31 10224 April 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The New 10 Commandments Nihilist Virus 32 6699 June 28, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Remove Ten Commandments IATIA 28 6607 September 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Ten Commandments Mudhammam 22 5353 August 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Blow the 10 Commandments Out Your Ass.... Minimalist 44 8957 August 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christian bigots sell out their own moral commandments in order to preach to gays. Esquilax 22 4799 July 13, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: John V
  Richard Dawkins obliterates the 10 Commandments. Creed of Heresy 118 60630 June 24, 2013 at 9:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proposed Revisal of the Ten Commandments RonaldReagansGhost666 11 3337 January 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property Skylar 12 5329 September 8, 2012 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Angrboda