Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TDS - Discriminatory Dinner Discounts
TDS - Discriminatory Dinner Discounts
This was a (funny as hell) piece by Jordan Klepper on The Daily Show last night.

Discriminatory Dinner Discounts

This, to me, is an example of stupidity on the part of FFRF. (This guy should be fired as a spokesperson of any sort, either way.) It completely undermines the serious civil liberty and church/state separation battles that FFRF does. This makes FFRF (and to a smaller extent atheists) look stupid.

Thoughts?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: TDS - Discriminatory Dinner Discounts
Some people like to get carried away... oh well...
America, you so silly!
Meh.

I understand the principle, and I might agree somewhat, but in practice this doesn't seem discriminatory. It's just the restaraunt didn't market it well, and the FFRF didn't look into it close enough.
(December 10, 2014 at 12:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: This was a (funny as hell) piece by Jordan Klepper on The Daily Show last night.

Discriminatory Dinner Discounts

This, to me, is an example of stupidity on the part of FFRF. (This guy should be fired as a spokesperson of any sort, either way.) It completely undermines the serious civil liberty and church/state separation battles that FFRF does. This makes FFRF (and to a smaller extent atheists) look stupid.

Thoughts?

Why is it stupid to inform someone when they're breaking the law?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
My favorite part was when the dude jumped to genocide (I guess in an attempt to make an analogy), and Jordan says "That's my point." Pick your battles FFRF.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Why is it stupid to inform someone when they're breaking the law?

Are they really breaking the law?
(December 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Why is it stupid to inform someone when they're breaking the law?

Because perception becomes reality, and this further tarnishes the perception of atheism. Because this is petty. Because they never even visited the restaurant. Because they never even tested how this discrimination was carried out or even verified that anyone ever had been discriminated against.

The owner herself said that the 'prayer' discount would be given out for a 'moment' of reflection.' Come on. It's not against the law to offer an incentive for a particular group of people based on ideology or principle. Military discounts, senior citizen discounts, local resident discounts, there's even a restaurant near where I live that has a discount for gay couples. You get a discount for fulfilling a requirement. No one is being discriminated against. Everyone can still eat there, no one is being turned away.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Right idea, wrong application.

Also, I was really disappointed with Dan Barker. My perception of him was of someone that had a better grasp on his opinions and perspectives.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6564 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheistic dinner "prayer" Eric9001 11 4888 July 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  So I had dinner at my grandparents... athoughtfulman 15 4087 April 20, 2009 at 10:16 am
Last Post: athoughtfulman