Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pressies?
Best Pressies?
In the spirit of this season of orgiastic gift-giving, what is the best gift you've ever gotten and/or given?

The best, absolute BEST gift I ever got was a pair of stuffed owls. We had an expression when I was growing up: 'I need that about as much as I need a stuffed owl'. I still use the expression sometimes - it is the equivalent of 'I need that like I need a hole in the head.' A girl I was seeing at uni gave me two stuffed tawny owls for our one Christmas together. I've still got them (Stan and Ollie).

The best gift I ever gave, based on the effort I put into it and the reaction I got, was when I gave my wife a sheaf of director's notes from 'The Gold Rush' with margin notes in Charlie Chaplin's handwriting (she's a huge Chaplin fan).

So...any gifts that stick in your mind as being unique or special?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Best Pressies?
My sister got me trapeze lessons one year. That fuckin' rocked!

I'm shit at giving gifts, but a few years ago my sister and I took my mom and stepdad to an all-inclusive on the Yucatan Peninsula for their birthdays. It was my sister's idea, though, so it probably doesn't count. Oooo! I gave my sister a Kindle for Christmas... and then she gave it back to me because her company gave her an iPad and she preferred it. Oh wait! I gave my boyfriend at the time the big-screen TV he wanted... but he cheated on me and we broke up the day after Christmas, so I kept it.

Yeah. I suck.
Many years ago, a company I worked for had cards you could sign and send back to HR if you didn't want the standard company issue frozen turkey they gave out before Christmas. I lived alone then, and didn't want to be eating turkey for 2 months, so I signed the card, without reading the small print, and sent it in.

A few days after the company christmas/new years shutdown was over, I had an interdepartmental mail envelope pop up in my in basket, and when I opened it, there was a handwritten thank you note from the family the food pantry had sent a declined turkey too.

I hadn't been in 12 steppers very long at that point, (IOW, I wasn't real stable emotionally yet) and the card really hit me hard. I thought declining the turkey saved the company whatever the turkey cost, I didn't note the turkey would actually go to a needy family. The company I worked for then is a defense contractor, I can assure you, the most uncool thing you could possibly do there was to get caught crying at your desk. I made it to the restroom without anyone noticing.

Anyhow, as you may have already figured out, any actual christmas gift ever sent my way ever; sweaters, gadgets, music, movies, books, curios have all SUCKED big time.

Glad I got the card though . . .

Happy Holidays everyone!
The best gift I've ever received, my salvation.
The best gift I have given would probably be the cherry double door bookcase I made for Mom and Dad, Mom told me Dad said, that boy can build anything, made me especially proud to be their son.

Merry Christmas everyone and a health and prosperous New Year.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Skis, lessons, tickets, and a bus to the slopes.

---- Not the same question as the best thing that ever happened to me. . . just the best gift for someone.

(December 13, 2014 at 12:49 am)Godschild Wrote: The best gift I've ever received, my salvation.
The best gift I have given would probably be the cherry double door bookcase I made for Mom and Dad, Mom told me Dad said, that boy can build anything, made me especially proud to be their son.

GC

Tell me about it after you've died risen and confirmed it's real. Wink
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 13, 2014 at 1:14 am)Jenny A Wrote:
(December 13, 2014 at 12:49 am)Godschild Wrote: The best gift I've ever received, my salvation.

GC

Tell me about it after you've died risen and confirmed it's real. Wink

Want be able to if you decide not to accept Christ, God will keep us separated, but then I want have to will I and I really think that's sad.Undecided

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Let's get this back on track.

Best present I ever received: Knowing that I was something of a Brony (more as a joke than seriously. but holy cow I heart me some flash animation), for a Secret Santa gift exchange, my friend bought a Twilight Sparkle stuffed animal and modified it by giving it an artificial home-made vagina.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(December 12, 2014 at 11:39 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: My sister got me trapeze lessons one year. That fuckin' rocked!

I'm shit at giving gifts, but a few years ago my sister and I took my mom and stepdad to an all-inclusive on the Yucatan Peninsula for their birthdays. It was my sister's idea, though, so it probably doesn't count. Oooo! I gave my sister a Kindle for Christmas... and then she gave it back to me because her company gave her an iPad and she preferred it. Oh wait! I gave my boyfriend at the time the big-screen TV he wanted... but he cheated on me and we broke up the day after Christmas, so I kept it.

Yeah. I suck.

From where I stand, you got a kindle and a nice big screen tv! And isn't that what christmas is all about?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd rather give gifts than receive them. The best gift I ever received was from the medical team that saved my life last year.

The best gift I ever gave was when I took Kitty to Mexico. Not the first time, not the second time - despite both trips being nearly perfect. Not the third when I was recovering from pneumonia and she took such awesome care of me, but the last time last January, when we took a bus adventure all over Jalisco, despite the fact that neither of us speaks much Spanish, and despite being sick for the last week. It was still a grand adventure neither of us will ever forget.
(December 12, 2014 at 10:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In the spirit of this season of orgiastic gift-giving, what is the best gift you've ever gotten and/or given?

The best, absolute BEST gift I ever got was a pair of stuffed owls. We had an expression when I was growing up: 'I need that about as much as I need a stuffed owl'. I still use the expression sometimes - it is the equivalent of 'I need that like I need a hole in the head.' A girl I was seeing at uni gave me two stuffed tawny owls for our one Christmas together. I've still got them (Stan and Ollie).

The best gift I ever gave, based on the effort I put into it and the reaction I got, was when I gave my wife a sheaf of director's notes from 'The Gold Rush' with margin notes in Charlie Chaplin's handwriting (she's a huge Chaplin fan).

So...any gifts that stick in your mind as being unique or special?

Boru

I gave my partner one of the production used prosthetic masks worn by the actor who played 'Gentleman 1' in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode 'Hush'. She's a huge 'Buffy' Fan.

Best pressie I ever got was my signed copy of The Winter of our Discontent by Steinbeck.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)