Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
girlish girls, manly men.
girlish girls, manly men.
Alright, just another random thought and this is as good a place as any to type it out since I feel like doing and seeing if anyone else can relate to what I'm on about.

I like girlish girls.
BUT
at the same time I hate some typical girlish things girls do.

At the top of the list, because it's what inspired this thread to begin with, is the use of motivational sentimental quotes.

Time and time again on any basically any computer or phone thing where statuses can be typed out (whatsapp, camfrog, blackberry messenger) I see girls with over sentimental, sickening, corny messages like the following

Quote:I miss you. Not in some cheesy, let's hold hands and be together forever way. I just miss you. Plain and simple. I miss your presence in my life. I miss you always being there

And

Quote:if someone wants to be a part of you're life they'll make an effort to be in it. So don't reserve a place for people who don't want to stay

I just had to wipe the bits of sick off my keyboard after searching and copying and pasting those.

But at the same time I'm kind of torn apart, because I love that type of girlish behavior in a way, it's so much the opposite of how I am.

Also when a girl is being so indecisive, I've encountered it sometimes where I'm not even sure if it's a girls way of flirting and acting overly girlish. Part of me hates it because I'm thinking "WHAT THE FUCK JUST DECIDE!!!!!!" but more of me loves it because it's a bit like she's doing it in order to let me decide.

I don't know if I'm describing this aswell as I could be doing or if anyone will really get what I mean.
I'd be interested to know if there's any women that feel this way about men, like you hate a typical manly trait, but at the same time you like it.

Anyway I need to make a big disclaimer. Before anyone says anything I'm not saying being indecisive and sickeningly sentimental is always a female trait.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: girlish girls, manly men.
I don't really think of such broad traits being feminine or masculine. People are just people, and some do annoying and/or endearing things.
There are women who dislike these "girlish" traits as well. Fortunately, I count my SO among them Smile. That being said, I didn't find the first one so terrible, and in the second one my brain shut off at the "you're life". Zzzzzt, refuse to parse.
The worst prevalent trait in american women though is the zomg like totally annoying I was like, like duh she talks like a caricature of a sooo embarassing totally valley girl like and I was like O.M.G. There is the male equivalent of that of course.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have to agree, the occasional carefully chosen inspirational message can be nice, but hundreds a day just makes you either sick or develop blinkers to them.

The trait I like least in men is being "macho". I could elaborate, but I think most people will know what I mean. The trait I like least in women is tarring all men with the same brush. I'm of course not saying all men or all women exhibit these traits, they don't. So I'm not trying to tar women with the tar brushing brush Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This entire thread makes me want to eat a whole carton of ice cream and watch 'The Bridges of Madison County' while wearing my Hello Kitty pajamas.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 16, 2014 at 4:02 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This entire thread makes me want to eat a whole carton of ice cream and watch 'The Bridges of Madison County' while wearing my Hello Kitty pajamas.

Boru

Pics or it didn't.... then again, some things cannot be unseen

(December 16, 2014 at 3:50 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't really think of such broad traits being feminine or masculine. People are just people, and some do annoying and/or endearing things.

true, though you can classify which traits are m or f according to how our society constructs gender. You don't have to buy into the idea that these are somehow absolute or hardwired to sexes, though I admit it often is implicitely assumed which could lead to misunderstandings..
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 16, 2014 at 3:50 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: I don't really think of such broad traits being feminine or masculine. People are just people, and some do annoying and/or endearing things.

Wise words have been spoken, everything else is useless.

Masculinity and femininity contribute to a culture of gender roles and create the idea of heteronormativity - Excluding homosexuals and transgender people
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Entirely true that any person can exhibit any trait. The two I listed are ones I have observed much more commonly, but not exclusively, in the given genders.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I agree that most gender traits are socially constructed.

The reason why some women might seem indecisive is that they have been taught that being otherwise makes them a bitch. I do not know how to overcome that teaching as it is very ingrained in some women. Once the person gets to know and trust you more, they might feel more comfortable in making a decision. If making a decision is too threatening for the person, perhaps, you could come up with several movies that you would like to see and they can pick from among them. That way, the person doesn't have to worry about making a decision that you won't like. I know it is silly but sometimes taking a little pressure off someone can help them make decisions.
(December 16, 2014 at 3:46 am)paulpablo Wrote: Also when a girl is being so indecisive, I've encountered it sometimes where I'm not even sure if it's a girls way of flirting and acting overly girlish. Part of me hates it because I'm thinking "WHAT THE FUCK JUST DECIDE!!!!!!"

Decisiveness is decidedly over rated. I think of W Bush .. the great decider. Leading with his gut, never afraid to make the tough call with bravado and a sneer.

I don't know about indecisiveness as flirtatiousness but I'm all for it as an alternative to rushing in half-cocked. Sometimes it is much better to do nothing than to fuck with things randomly. Understanding the problem is an important step.

That's my decision which I've made decisively.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 1871 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 12643 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7068 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5217 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 5389 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  International Women and girls in Science Day! Divinity 9 941 February 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Who says drunk girls in a club aren't fun brewer 30 5226 November 6, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3030 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  men and women with tattoos, hot or not? orthodox-man 110 20935 April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question for the heterosexual men of AF Catholic_Lady 242 26495 April 18, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady