Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chaos When Our Grid Goes Down - Bill Whittle
The Chaos When Our Grid Goes Down - Bill Whittle
The power grid could be fried by: solar flares, overhead nuke detonation, cyber attack, sabotage, etc.

But don't worry, it'll "never happen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdCaV3ELvsM
RE: The Chaos When Our Grid Goes Down - Bill Whittle
The sky is falling.

https://archive.org/download/Y2K_USA1999/Y2K_512kb.mp4

I bet my bicycle will still work.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
I always hear about the impending doom from supposed solar flares and sunspots but nothing ever fucking happens how about one remote blackout, for even just a minute, occurs due too sun activity, then I might care
There is always someone selling doom and the American public is too willing to buy.
I'd rather worry about things I can control personally.
(December 21, 2014 at 3:30 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'd rather worry about things I can control personally.
I find your fatalism disturbing.
(December 21, 2014 at 3:58 am)mralstoner Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 3:30 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'd rather worry about things I can control personally.
I find your fatalism disturbing.

It's hardly fatalism. Can I prevent a nuclear strike? Or a solar flare? How about harden infrastructure from same?

I can do those things about as well as I can prevent earth from being struck by a life I extinguishing asteroid.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. However, I do believe in disaster preparedness, and that's something I am empowered to do.
Whenever I look at so called American documentary channels, there's always something on like "killers from outer space". Some meteortie or comet is going to get us, or solar flares are destroying our infrastructure. Seems to me, these programs like to spread fear and panic for a living, regardless of how remote the possibility of something like this happening. The sad thing about it, people like to gobble up bullshit.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 21, 2014 at 12:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: However, I do believe in disaster preparedness, and that's something I am empowered to do.

^Yes, this.^

I'm amazed how many people I have known over the years who refuse to heed the simple, common-sense advice to have an adequate emergency supply of water, non-perishable food, fuel/power sources that don't rely on the grid or gas stations, battery-powered radios/transmitters, and a basic supply of tools (including weapons/ammo for self defense) in the event of a major disaster. You don't have to be some survivalist nut job to understand that, sophisticated as our technological society is, it hangs by a proverbial thread and can be severely disrupted by forces entirely beyond our control.

Take care to make adequate preparations, and then don't lose sleep over it.
(December 21, 2014 at 12:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 21, 2014 at 3:58 am)mralstoner Wrote: I find your fatalism disturbing.

It's hardly fatalism. Can I prevent a nuclear strike? Or a solar flare? How about harden infrastructure from same?

I can do those things about as well as I can prevent earth from being struck by a life I extinguishing asteroid.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. However, I do believe in disaster preparedness, and that's something I am empowered to do.

That was probably his point. You do what you can, not nothing.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 342 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2085 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2596 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3335 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1554 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4480 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4633 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 794 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 865 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1565 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda