Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resurrection - makes no sense
Resurrection - makes no sense
I actually watched the premiere of the first season when it first came out, but I stopped watching it at the time in favor of another show.

I recently started watching it again.

Resurrection

http://youtu.be/RGtNrz8dhV4

The setting is the small town of Arcadia. (Interesting tidbit of information regarding the name of the town: Arcadia was celebrated as an unspoiled, harmonious wilderness.

People who have been dead for years are suddenly returning. The townspeople are becoming understandably concerned, wondering what is going on. They allow their fear of this supernatural event to make them view the newly resurrected people as something other than human.

What makes no sense to me is that these are townspeople who believe in god, the supernatural already. Why would actually witnessing something supernatural turn them into skeptics when they should be thinking it's a gift from god?

Why is it that these god-believing townspeople are skeptical of a miracle they are witnessing firsthand while being unwilling to see the hypocrisy of believing in a god that they cannot experience in any tangible way?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Resurrection - makes no sense
I think it's because deep down people know their beliefs are bullshit, and are used to "seeing" the supernatural in the natural.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Unless the pastor approves of it, it is the devils work.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If one pastor said it was the work of Jesus, and one said it was the devil's handy work, what would they believe?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Whoever said it in CAPS.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 25, 2014 at 5:06 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: If one pastor said it was the work of Jesus, and one said it was the devil's handy work, what would they believe?

Oh no, Euthyphro all over again...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 25, 2014 at 5:06 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: If one pastor said it was the work of Jesus, and one said it was the devil's handy work, what would they believe?

Remember the mayhem between the pastors in Needful Things? That's what would happen.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 25, 2014 at 3:21 am)Sionnach Wrote: I actually watched the premiere of the first season when it first came out, but I stopped watching it at the time in favor of another show.

I recently started watching it again.

Resurrection

http://youtu.be/RGtNrz8dhV4

The setting is the small town of Arcadia. (Interesting tidbit of information regarding the name of the town: Arcadia was celebrated as an unspoiled, harmonious wilderness.

People who have been dead for years are suddenly returning. The townspeople are becoming understandably concerned, wondering what is going on. They allow their fear of this supernatural event to make them view the newly resurrected people as something other than human.

What makes no sense to me is that these are townspeople who believe in god, the supernatural already. Why would actually witnessing something supernatural turn them into skeptics when they should be thinking it's a gift from god?

Why is it that these god-believing townspeople are skeptical of a miracle they are witnessing firsthand while being unwilling to see the hypocrisy of believing in a god that they cannot experience in any tangible way?

This sounds like a remake of The Returned a French series from a few years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unintended improvisation that makes the final cut. Brian37 8 460 June 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  This is my fave cartoon, always makes me cry Brian37 6 796 January 14, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What makes you get up and leave? Gawdzilla Sama 48 3685 December 14, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  No Sense WinterHold 2 342 January 8, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5303 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Galactic Common Sense: The Rebel Question bladevalant546 1 887 October 25, 2013 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Owlix
  Alien Resurrection (1997) Darwinian 1 1193 May 9, 2010 at 6:46 am
Last Post: fr0d0