Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need help choosing Greek/Roman authors
Need help choosing Greek/Roman authors
So, for a while now I have wanted to go through some of the monumental voices of ancient Western civilization. I just ordered Homer's Iliad and Odyssey (translated by Robert Fagles) and I own Virgil's Aeneid (trans. by W.F. Jackson), which I haven't yet read, and Lucretius' The Nature of Things (trans. by Alicia Stallings), which I have read. I'm looking for the following (please recommend translation if you have preference):

1 pre-Socratic philosopher and 1 historian.
1 book by Plato, not including the Republic (which I plan on buying already).
2 books by Aristotle
1 or 2 other Greek philosophers and/or historians
2 or 3 Roman philosophers and/or historians
1 book by Cicero.

I think that should be a good entry collection. Thanks for your help.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Need help choosing Greek/Roman authors
IIRC most of the books Cicero that survive are about rhetoric.

His letters are fascinating glimpses into life in the first century. As an enemy of Caesar's they give a whole other line of refutation to the jesus freak morons who insist that we have more evidence for their godboy than we do for Caesar. Even Caesar's enemies tell us he was real.

Otherwise, among other writers, Titus Livy is one of the foremost historians. Much of his work survives and we have brief sketches of many of the missing books. Pliny the Elder's Natural History is another famed one.

Then there is Sallust (Gaius Sallustius Crispus) who is the earliest Roman historian whose work has survived. This site may help.

http://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/sallust/
I worked my way through translations of the illiad and the republic. Have fun! So many people dying in such detailed fashion, good stuff. Usually you even learn what kind of crops the victim's in-laws plant alongside the description of the killings.
lI must admit that I kind of lost stamina towards the second half of the republic Smile

Does plato have further works in as long a form as the republic? The other dialogues I know are a relatively quick read, euthyphro is a must I guess, and symposion is a classic(*), and sometimes funny, I remember being amused .

(*) duh.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It would be fun (to me) if you'd occasionally let us know your thoughts while you tackle some of these works, btw.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Oh god not sallust. I hate him, so damn much.

If you got time for some fun, Catullus is your guy. He's a poet I like quite a bit. Ovid too, for some raunchy poems and some rumors that says he was a bit too intimate with Augustus' daughter.
His name really is Crispus? Big Grin

(December 30, 2014 at 4:20 pm)Natachan Wrote: Oh god not sallust. I hate him, so damn much.

If you got time for some fun, Catullus is your guy. He's a poet I like quite a bit. Ovid too, for some raunchy poems and some rumors that says he was a bit too intimate with Augustus' daughter.

Sallust has one of the greatest quotes ever.

Quote:Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master.

And the Roman cognomen "Crispus" means, basically "curly."
For your historian, I strongly recommend Caesar's 'The Gallic Wars'. It is virtually unique among histories as it was written 'on the fly'. It is almost a news account running to seven volumes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Oh jees I completely forgot about that one from 12th grade. Gallia est omnia divisa in partes tres... and that's about all I remember.

Sallust might be a great historian, I just hate him because I had to translate it. He had this passage about an uprising against the senate where everyone just went home after they realized that not enough people had showed up. He went the whole damn page without verbs. I happen to like verbs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek cosmology SeniorCitizen 4 482 November 20, 2023 at 3:43 am
Last Post: no one
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1265 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Would you vote for a Roman Catholic? TrueChristian 56 7734 January 6, 2016 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: TrueChristian
Wink Hey, need some help on a "story" Jesus_Fucking_Christ 13 2985 November 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Jesus_Fucking_Christ
  What better explains choosing religion of parents. Mystic 11 1635 July 27, 2014 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Help me to help the world Mazotu 3 849 June 19, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Need Help Deciphering This FallentoReason 6 1651 March 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason