Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hinduism strength itself is its Humility
Hinduism strength itself is its Humility
I take a great interest in Hindu literature due to its beautiful poetic nature.

Something left me wondering. Christianity with 200 years of ruling, and Islam with more than 400 years of ruling could not penetrate India and Hinduism in particular.

Both these religions (In-spite of Christ's teaching on humility) are egoistic religions.

I will appreciate the resident Christians and Muslims response on this.
RE: Hinduism strength itself is its Humility
(December 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm)Forsaken Wrote: I take a great interest in Hindu literature due to its beautiful poetic nature.

Something left me wondering. Christianity with 200 years of ruling, and Islam with more than 400 years of ruling could not penetrate India and Hinduism in particular.

Both these religions (In-spite of Christ's teaching on humility) are egoistic religions.

ALL religions are egoistic. Christianity in particular is egoistic not in spite of the teachings of Christ, but because of them.

Christians and Muslims together make up about 16% of India's population. Not bad.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hinduism strength itself is its Humility
(December 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm)Forsaken Wrote: I take a great interest in Hindu literature due to its beautiful poetic nature.

East India Co. policy was to actively prohibit missionary activity in India and refused to grant passage to missionaries on Indiamen.
Indiamen themselves were designed and built to a tonnage of 499 tons so as to avoid a regulation that vessels of 500 tons and over having to carry a preacher, Indiamen did not grow in size until after this regulation was repealed.
As such christain missionaries did not appear in significant numbers until D'isreali's hostile takeover of Co. assets in 1856.

As an aside it would be folly to assume that Hinduism is automatically resistant to intrusion by monotheism as the ruins of Java show that the previous Hindu civilisation was destroyed and replaced by the Muslim society that now inhabits the island.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On Tuesday, the LDS (Mormon) church gave its support to recent pro-LGBTQ legislation HankMoody316 21 2496 December 3, 2022 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Nazism = Hinduism for Europe theyear12013 29 14932 February 8, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hinduism - Millions of Gods Forsaken 56 24379 September 19, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What did Emerson, Thoreau and others read to learn about Hinduism? nishanth 1 1339 October 29, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Zack
  Scinetific Hinduism genkaus 5 1616 October 22, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13