Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist paradise
Atheist paradise
A place where there are only a few theists, a place where the majority population is atheist/non-religious.

Sweden.

I came across a vid on it so I thought I'd post it here.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxsjGQP99A

Big Grin

Oh, just thought I'd post this one too. Because I like it.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a-6b18mEEY...re=related
Go sweden!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Atheist paradise
Gotta love Sweden
Isn't it cold there? Is there a warm, tropical Sweden, where people speak English and have American cable television?
In Sweden a vast majority of their citizens speak English, it is mandatory in school. Can't help you on the temperature though, although I got used to it when I was there some years ago.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Here in the UK were are also very non-religious thankfully. I can't think of a single person I know that would consider themselves religious.
[Image: Title1.gif]
(November 17, 2008 at 9:18 am)Gregori Wrote: Here in the UK were are also very non-religious thankfully. I can't think of a single person I know that would consider themselves religious.

Which is curious and I don't disagree with you, I only know a few people who are religious, they're not close and all of my friends are atheist (or don't give a sh**) ... yet in the Census (2004 wasn't it?) 72% of us claimed to be Christian.

Kyu
Meh, most people at my uni are theists, and I've found the same in a few universities.
(November 17, 2008 at 1:46 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Meh, most people at my uni are theists, and I've found the same in a few universities.

This thread interests me on a variety of levels.

Why would the Atheist paradise have a few theist; other than that Ace had Sweden already in mind (I'm half sweedish, by the way)?

Infidel's post was somewhat more amusingly practical. From the midwestern US around November I could tolerate either if it were warm and beautiful. Sod the cable TV, though, that is a waste of time.

The most interesting thing about this thread though is that most of y'all (American for you all) are already from a place where atheist outnumber the theist and yet you spend time here complaining about the theist. Most militant atheists time is spent doing that on boards like this with the odd references to science, Darwin, Dawkins, Maher, Lewis Black, George Carlin etc.

To me the militant atheist is just pissed that politically the religious nuts have the upper hand.

Adrian - you said at university there are more theists than atheist which is interesting. Do you find that at university the powers that be tend to want to surpress theists. The mere mention of anything related to theism or just an awareness that someone is leaning towards theism is grounds for dismissal and predjudice? That is the way it used to be and I think still is.
(November 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm)Daystar Wrote: The most interesting thing about this thread though is that most of y'all (American for you all) are already from a place where atheist outnumber the theist and yet you spend time here complaining about the theist.
Daystar, that runs contrary to everything I've ever heard about America being a Christian majority. Can you provide a reference or source for your assertion that America is predominantly atheist?
I was able to find the below from Wikipedia:

Religion Survey

Quote:The American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) 2001 was based on a random digit-dialed telephone survey of over 50,000 American residential households in the 48 continental states of U.S.A. over a span of approximately four months. Respondents were asked to describe themselves in terms of religion with an open-ended question. Interviewers did not prompt or offer a suggested list of potential answers. The primary question of the interview was: "What is your religion, if any?". The religion of the spouse/partner was also asked. If the initial answer was 'Protestant' or 'Christian' further questions were asked to probe which particular denomination.[37]
Plurality religion by state, 2001. Data is unavailable for Alaska and Hawaii.
Religious affiliation within each state that has the largest deviation compared to the national average, 2001.
Percentage of state populations that identify with a religion rather than "no religion", 2001.

===Self-described religious identification of U.S. adult population: 1990 and 2001===[38]

All figures after adjusting for refusals to reply, which jumped from 2.3% in 1990 to 5.4% in 2001

↓ 1990 ↓ 2001 ↓ Change in % point ↓ Numerical growth in % terms ↓

Total Christian 88.3% 79.8% -8.5% +5.3%
Catholic 26.8% 25.9% -0.9% +10.6%
Baptist 19.8% 17.2% -2.6% -0.4%
Methodist 8.3% 7.2% -1.1% -0.2%
Christian - no denomination reported 4.7% 7.2% +2.5% +75.3%
Lutheran 5.3% 4.9% -0.4% +5.2%
Presbyterian 2.9% 2.8% -0.1% +12.3%
Protestant - no denomination reported 10.0% 2.4% -7.7% -73.0%
Pentecostal/Charismatic 1.9% 2.2% +0.4% +38.1%
Episcopalian/Anglican 1.8% 1.8% -- +13.4%
Mormon/Latter Day Saints 1.5% 1.4% -0.1% +12.1%
Churches of Christ 1.0% 1.3% +0.3% +46.6%
Congregational/United Church of Christ 0.3% 0.7% +0.4% +130.1%
Jehovah's Witnesses 0.8% 0.7% -0.1% -3.6%
Assemblies of God 0.4% 0.6% +0.2% +67.6%
Evangelical 0.1% 0.5% +0.4% +326.4%
Church of God [disambiguation needed] 0.3% 0.5% +0.2% +77.8%
Seventh Day Adventist 0.4% 0.4% -- +8.4%
Eastern Orthodox 0.3% 0.3% -- +28.5%
Other Christian (less than 0.3% each) 1.6% 1.9% +0.3% +40.2%
Total other religions 3.5% 5.2% +1.7% +69.1%
Jewish 1.8% 1.4% -0.4% -8.1%
Non-denominational 0.1% 1.3% +1.2% +1,176.4%
Muslim 0.3% 0.6% +0.3% +109.5%
Buddhist 0.2% 0.5% +0.3% +169.8%
Hindu 0.1% 0.4% +0.3% +237.4%
Unitarian Universalist 0.3% 0.3% -- +25.3%
Others (less than 0.07% each) 0.6% 0.7% +0.1% +25.4%
No Religion/Atheist/Agnostic 8.4% 15.0% +6.6% +105.7%
You'll notice that the 2001 figure for religiosity shows Christianity claimed by 88.3% of those questioned, while 8.4% claimed to be atheists. Are you asserting that in 7 short years these figures have been reversed? That would be an extraordinary claim!

(November 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm)Daystar Wrote: To me the militant atheist is just pissed that politically the religious nuts have the upper hand.
Are you saying that atheists have no grounds for being pissed? That seems to be the implication behind your statement here. If you could clarify what you meant, that would be great Smile
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(November 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm)Daystar Wrote: The most interesting thing about this thread though is that most of y'all (American for you all) are already from a place where atheist outnumber the theist and yet you spend time here complaining about the theist.
Well in my case its because I care about the world we live in as a whole. And other countries and how they effect other countries. For example in Britain's case (I am from the UK) , how Blair often followed Bush. I mean just one example is how America has such a big effect on the rest of the world.
And as I said I care about the world as a whole. Just as how I care about whether species of animals become extinct or not; even if they don't live in Britain - where I come from and where I still live.
And most of all I care about what's true.
And obviously America is not an atheist country. I think I have even heard that something like over 90% of Americans believe in a God or gods.