Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
YouTube can, and has, done wonders for the atheist community. It gave free thinkers a place to post videos to help educate the world on the likes of science and dangers of religion. It was YouTubers like CultOfDusty, who I originally subscribed to for his political videos, that helped me come to my senses and denounce my former religion.

But over the past year or so, there's been a trend among popular atheist YouTubers: anti-feminism.

I will admit right now that there are many extreme feminists who I don't agree with. In fact, a lot of the things "anti-feminists" critique, I agree with. But not to the extent that I would ever title myself as an anti-feminist. No, I am not against the movement that fights the Republicans' attempts to limit my reproductive rights, or the movement that points out double standards that still exist (for women and men). I am not against the movement that is working to make gender identification and sexuality and orientation normal things. Why any forward-thinking, self-identifying atheist would be against this movement is beyond me.

I understand these anti-feminists usually support the efforts of feminists in the past, and even the present. After all, TheAmazingAtheist paints his fingernails...if it wasn't for modern feminism, that would be unacceptable. I know that these anti-feminists just get their panties in a knot when they watch videos by extremists like Anita Sarkeesian, you know, that woman that no one likes, save for her following of maybe...40,000 people? Maybe? If that?

Point being, all these extreme feminists are a joke. They don't have power in politics. They have a minimal influence over culture and the population. The only people they're reaching are misandrous cat ladies who would be just as misandrous and just as cat lady with or without a weekly subscription to FemFreq.

But regardless, we all have our opinions and things we're passionate about. I can understand why people, including atheist YouTubers, would want to respond to some of the ridiculous things the extreme feminists spew. But like...why respond to that meaningless bullshit every week? If these extreme feminists are gaining any momentum at all, it's because the anti-feminists are guiding them to their videos!

Tj, TheAmazingAtheist, arguably has the largest following of his peers. That said, he has some considerable power over people, and probably much more so than the big, mean, scary Anita Sarkeesian! Why is he, and so many other YouTubers, wasting that power on beating a dead horse again on a weekly basis?

I get it. It's the Internet and people can do what they want. If making videos mocking these feminists is fun for them, they can do it! But should they?

As an anti-religion atheist, I don't think so.

If atheists want to gain acceptance, see religious laws get removed, and someday live in a world where dogma doesn't exist, we need power. And power comes in number.

Feminists (not the extremists) are a heftily sized group of people that atheists should be working to attract, not piss off. A lot of feminists are areligious because they know that many gender roles and oppression stem from the Bible and Qu'ran and other pieces of religious paraphernalia. I formerly identified more as a feminist until I "went back to being" an atheist. I see religion as the root of several problems in the world, including the problems feminists fight. While I am still a feminist, I tend to talk and get more passionate about the atheists' cause because I think it more or less encompasses all of my beliefs, so to speak. What I'm trying to say is, there are a lot of women out there, who call themselves feminist, that we as atheists should try to "convert".

When even female atheist YouTubers like JaclynGlenn label themselves "anti-feminist", it deters a lot of queer people, trans people, and women in general. How are these people supposed to feel welcome in the atheist community when it's largely composed of men and some women--men and women who say they are against feminism?!

I unsubscribed from TheAmazingAtheist and seldom tune in to JaclynGlenn because I got tired of seeing their anti-feminist videos so often. And they're not the only ones.

Maybe I'm just being the kind of overly-sensitive bitch that Tj and Jaclyn rant and rave about, but I just honestly think their efforts could be put to better use making more videos criticizing the religious bigots in politics and media instead of a handful of ladies crying about cat calls.

I know this post will probably go unread or unanswered both because I'm new, and because I hold a very unpopular opinion. I just have been wanting to get this off my chest for a long time, and I didn't really have a place for it until now. But I'd love to further discus!
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
If you are for equal rights and equality, you're a feminist. That's all it really takes to be one. There are extremist in all stances.
(January 2, 2015 at 12:21 am)MysticKnight Wrote: If you are for equal rights, you're a feminist. That's all it really takes to be one. There are extremist in all stances.

I agree completely. Unfortunately, a lot of people fail to understand the basic definition of feminism (gender equality) and instead write off the entire movement.
(January 1, 2015 at 11:47 pm)ketameankitty Wrote: What I'm trying to say is, there are a lot of women out there, who call themselves feminist, that we as atheists should try to "convert".

Atheism is just a personal stance one takes because their experience doesn't lead them to believe that God exists. Why do you take a step further to that others can't be with a justified reason to believe God exists so that they should leave faith in God?

Why are you in the business of wanting to convert others?
Egalitarianism is defined as gender equality not feminism. Feminism focus is womens right which are being infringed on. Ido support feminist causes but don't classify myself as a feminist. This is because of the extremist who are small but very vocal.
I don't care for radical feminism. I think making accusations of "rape culture" and "gender genocide" undermines the laudable goal of gender equality. I suspect radical feminists don't really care about gender equality, and that means they will not get my support, and I certainly don't care, as an atheist, to be associated with their message.

Quite frankly, I'd much rather we atheists take up the civil rights fight with the LGBT community at our sides. They're more numerous, more organized, and not apt to split any campaign based on gender lines.

OK people who believe in equals right but are not feminists, are just people who say they want equality but aren't for defending equality where it's taken away? Did I get that straight.

And again, what's with people wanting to win people to Atheism.
I find myself distrustful of fanatics, in general.
(January 2, 2015 at 1:01 am)Minimalist Wrote: I find myself distrustful of fanatics, in general.

Are feminists fanatics? What would you do with all inequality of woman in the world...just have no one stand up for the rights of women?
(January 2, 2015 at 12:57 am)MysticKnight Wrote: OK people who believe in equals right but are not feminists, are just people who say they want equality but aren't for defending equality where it's taken away? Did I get that straight.

No you didn't get it at all. I said I support feminism causes like access to birth control, abortion, equal pay, etc... I support them because I'm an egalitarian. Because I'm an egalitarian, I suport LGBT rights, anti-racist, anti-nationalist, etc...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 4999 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2193 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1993 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2269 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6980 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4629 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18565 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3486 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6174 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1100 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89