Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I hate the word "miracle".
I hate the word "miracle".
RationalPoet..............Every time I hear a story of survival and a reporter uses the word "miracle" it makes me want to puke as if there is some government mandated law to turn the mundane into magic and if you don't use that word you will get fired. It makes me want to go on a (metaphorical killing spree(strangle the bad logic)..........

A 7 year old girl managed to survive a plane crash on a small turbo prop plane. Everyone else on that small plane died but she managed to crawl out of the plane and walk almost a mile to get help. Fine, and great, but the word "miracle" is a bullshit word. How about the family members who did not make it? There was no magic to her survival anymore than there was magic to those who died. It was a result of the countless factors and conditions and physics. Magic and god do not explain shit. She lost family members so if one wants to claim a god, then that god is a fucking dick because she on top of suffering the trauma of the accident will live the rest of her life with the pain of the loss of her loved ones.

http://news.yahoo.com/-brave-little-girl...44849.html
RE: I hate the word "miracle".
I hate that word too. It speaks of total ignorance, gullibility and a desperation to see "God" everywhere, even in the midst of horrible disasters.

It's a fucking stupid word, an unfalsifiable and pointless claim made by people not grounded in reality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"It speaks of total ignorance, gullibility and a desperation to see "God" everywhere, even in cheese sandwiches."

Fixed that for you. Cool Shades
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Yeh but put "miracle" on anything and it sells faster, and "little girl survives due to probabilities" won't have the same ring to it.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It really is a word stemming from nothing more than our species flawed perceptions in selection bias and sample rate error.
Seems to be a crutch word for journalists when they need to describe an unlikely event or outcome. But it smacks of sensationalism.

I would think that describing the number of times this has ever happened or the odds of it happening would be more compelling, but that would require work on their part.

Surely they were taught to report the facts and leave it up to the reader to attribute divine intervention? Maybe they weren't...
Why don't they make the entire plane out of that kid?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(January 3, 2015 at 3:44 pm)Radco Wrote: Seems to be a crutch word for journalists when they need to describe an unlikely event or outcome. But it smacks of sensationalism.

I would think that describing the number of times this has ever happened or the odds of it happening would be more compelling, but that would require work on their part.

Surely they were taught to report the facts and leave it up to the reader to attribute divine intervention? Maybe they weren't...

I can understand the emotion of wanting someone to survive. It is within our species to have empathy for others. I simply hate the idea that because you survived that magic was involved.

I am happy for that 7 year old that she did not die. But everyone else on the plane died.
Stupid people need "miracles."
(January 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Stupid people need "miracles."

Exactly. If air travel is to become safer for small planes like this, you don't chalk it up to luck. You insist on better pilot training and better technology. God is a term with the same placebo value as a rabbit's foot.

(January 3, 2015 at 2:42 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Yeh but put "miracle" on anything and it sells faster, and "little girl survives due to probabilities" won't have the same ring to it.

BINGO. Humans have a very selfish need to sex up reality with fantasy and delusion. Yes, for that individual girl any compassionate person would be happy she survived, but there was no magic or divine hand involved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian hate-preacher calls for the execution of ‘every single homosexual’. Jehanne 63 4360 June 28, 2022 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  I hate these kind of headlines. onlinebiker 50 2029 December 8, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  frees speech, hate speech or a comedy routine? ignoramus 16 582 May 26, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Covid and the word "segregation". OP/ED Brian37 2 309 May 22, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Jets and the word "miracle". Brian37 28 1372 February 22, 2021 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 469 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  This thing, called bum, I kinda hate it.... Brian37 16 1924 May 8, 2020 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The bird is the word! Brian37 4 429 November 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Free speech or Hate speech? ignoramus 20 1898 June 25, 2019 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Losty
  Here's Another Judge For The Orange Turdfuhrer to Hate Minimalist 1 471 November 23, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Angrboda