Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why worship?
Why worship?
This is something that's been bothering me lately. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to worship anyone or anything? If Yahweh was real, I wouldn't worship him because he's a dick. But even if he wasn't, even if he was the most kind and loving God ever, why would I worship him?

I can be thankful, have admiration and respect, offer friendship, whatever. But what do either of us get out of worship?

The only real reason I can think of to worship anything is because you want to receive better treatment. Either in the form of gifts, or out of fear to avoid punishment. In other words, you're begging for stuff. The only other possible, and ludicrous reason would be that the God or whatever literally could not exist without this worship. Ironically, that is kind of true, but I doubt theists would even claim this.

So why worship anything other than for personal gain? Why not just say thank you? It's fucking creepy.

No matter what I did for someone, I would never expect nor want worship. Why would I?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Why worship?
I believe the bible's opinion is simply: "He deserves it".

But you bring up a fair point.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Thanks Smile Yeah, why does he deserve it? Because he says he deserves it? Clearly he's just an egomaniac then. I mean, he's demanding it backed up with threat of torture/annihilation. Is that someone worthy of worship other than out of fear?

What would an all powerful God get out of it, and why is making the universe such a big deal? It would have been literally no effort or expense to him. Neither was moving a bit of himself around a bit, then back up to heaven.

No one even worships the brave folks who died in the world wars, making a real sacrifice for a real difference. They are far more worthy of worship, but even then, profuse thanks and rememberence is more appropriate.

I guess it's this twisted idea that he's just better than us, so we can only communicate by throwing ourselves down and declaring ourselves worthless. Bullshit.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(January 7, 2015 at 10:20 am)robvalue Wrote: Thanks Smile Yeah, why does he deserve it? Because he says he deserves it? Clearly he's just an egomaniac then. I mean, he's demanding it backed up with threat of torture/annihilation. Is that someone worthy of worship other than out of fear?

What would an all powerful God get out of it, and why is making the universe such a big deal? It would have been literally no effort or expense to him. Neither was moving a bit of himself around a bit, then back up to heaven.

No one even worships the brave folks who died in the world wars, making a real sacrifice for a real difference. They are far more worthy of worship, but even then, profuse thanks and rememberence is more appropriate.

I guess it's this twisted idea that he's just better than us, so we can only communicate by throwing ourselves down and declaring ourselves worthless. Bullshit.

You are correct, Jesus isn't the only one who died for us. The difference is many have met a soldier. I'm sure some theists will soon answer and give us heathens some fun thoughts on the subject.
I'm sure they will. I didn't expect any atheist would think worshipping was a rational thing, but you never know! I don't want to generalize atheists like all theists do.

I don't think there's a good enough reason anyone could possibly tell me. But I'm all ears, if someone has one other than toadying/fear.

Index of my best videos
It's a good point. Christians don't live considerably better lives as a whole. if they did, it would be a nice piece of evidence for their religion. A christian minority in a mostly islamic country is going to face much the same problems that the atheist minority in a mostly christian country faces. So it's not like Jesus is doing a whole lot of favors for them in this life.

Also why would a truly benevolent deity demand worship anyway? He makes it clear that the most important thing is to love him, despite the fact that you can't command someone to love you anyway.

The most christians can tell you is that it matters in the next life. Not that they can prove that their god, or the next life, even exists. You'll know when you get there, and it will be too late. Too late for what? Too late for the religious leaders to control your life, and profit from your efforts.

We're supposed to thank him so much for something that took so little effort, because all he had to do was will it to happen. And then he cursed the world after being disobeyed once, and repeatedly failed to fix it via mass murder. So he can make something by talking, but he doesn't know how to maintain it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yeah, and I would consider worshipping in order to get to heaven to be toadying and/or begging out of fear. You're bowing down to a tyrant who has shown himself (in the make believe Xian world) to be a liar, and the most immoral piece of shit you could imagine. This is not worship, it's obedience out of fear.

I mean, I can understand the pragmatic need to pretend to worship some maniac who kidnaps you and keeps you at gunpoint, demanding it of you. You do it until you can get away. But I doubt theists would see this as the same, or admit this is what they are essentially doing.

Index of my best videos
Define 'worship'.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Bowing down to someone, praising everything they do and overlooking every action they take that would make you wretch if it was anyone else doing it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I think cats are more worthy of worship than the Christian god. I know they exist, and they ocassionally offer something in return.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worship and Emotion Astreja 32 8167 July 1, 2017 at 3:41 am
Last Post: KerimF
  Feminism: why am I supposed to worship women's feet again? WinterHold 168 26251 April 12, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  How do people justify the worship of Yahweh? Celestine 13 4622 August 22, 2015 at 8:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could a omnipotent God want with the worship of humans? Lemonvariable72 58 10745 November 24, 2014 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  State schools 'not providing group worship' frankiej 18 3571 October 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: bozo
  Campaign Against Worship in Schools frankiej 4 2029 June 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Thiests - Assuming God exists, why should we worship him? Loki_999 70 24130 December 11, 2010 at 9:49 am
Last Post: tackattack
  No Reason To Worship GrayAreas 44 16193 October 15, 2009 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Photo Worship This infidel666 0 1882 November 5, 2008 at 12:36 am
Last Post: infidel666