Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple challenge for atheists
A simple challenge for atheists
Imagine an alternate universe which contains a single hydrogen atom. (Lets not include dark matter or other forces in the discussion for the purpose of simplicity.) You could replace the atom with a proton, a neutron, a sub-atomic particle, or a string. The point is, it's real. It can be measured.

Now where did this hydrogen atom come from?
Was it just always there?
Did it spontaneously appear, ie. magically?
Did someone create it?

How did it come into being?
RE: A simple challenge for atheists
No idea.

Do I win a prize?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Not a clue.

You might get more responses if you make an introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.
Oh noes. The big bad christer's gonna do science and prove gawd with it and then we'll all have to start going to church! Panic

Good luck with that.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(January 9, 2015 at 7:33 pm)bob96 Wrote: How did it come into being?

Same way as Hawking radiation.

If you can make up an answer, so can I.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
If I knew the answer to that, I'd stop making guitars for a living and split my free time between dusting off my multiple Nobel Prizes and enjoying the feel of my solid rhodium toilet seat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 9, 2015 at 7:33 pm)bob96 Wrote: Imagine an alternate universe which contains a single hydrogen atom. (Lets not include dark matter or other forces in the discussion for the purpose of simplicity.) You could replace the atom with a proton, a neutron, a sub-atomic particle, or a string. The point is, it's real. It can be measured.

Now where did this hydrogen atom come from?
Was it just always there?
Did it spontaneously appear, ie. magically?
Did someone create it?

How did it come into being?

I don't know.

Neither do you.

Jerkoff
(January 9, 2015 at 7:39 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Oh noes. The big bad christer's gonna do science and prove gawd with it and then we'll all have to start going to church! Panic

Good luck with that.

That's a long winded no, it would have been simpler to say no, right.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 9, 2015 at 7:36 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Not a clue.

You might get more responses if you make an introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

I was raised a Christian. I've struggled with issues of faith on and off over the years. It's always interesting to hear peoples view as to why they believe or don't believe in God.

I'm married with 2 boys that keep me pretty busy, and I live in Victoria Australia. 2014 was the hottest year on record (again) for Australia for three years running, yet it's the middle of Summer, and we've got the heater on because it's currently 9 degrees! (Celsius).

I admit using the word "challenge" was pretty arrogant. I should have used the word question. I'm just wondering how people can believe it possible that "something" came from "nothing" or "was always just there".
(January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm)bob96 Wrote:
(January 9, 2015 at 7:36 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Not a clue.

I was raised a Christian. I've struggled with issues of faith on and off over the years. It's always interesting to hear peoples view as to why they believe or don't believe in God.

I'm married with 2 boys that keep me pretty busy, and I live in Victoria Australia. 2014 was the hottest year on record (again) for Australia for three years running, yet it's the middle of Summer, and we've got the heater on because it's currently 9 degrees! (Celsius).

I admit using the word "challenge" was pretty arrogant. I should have used the word question. I'm just wondering how people can believe it possible that "something" came from "nothing" or "was always just there".

Do you believe that God 'was always just there'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion: Simple Lies for Simple People Minimalist 3 524 September 16, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4193 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A challenge to anyone I guess! Mystic 27 5073 June 10, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20772 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 5343 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12333 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  I was wrong about the simple choice. Mystic 42 4901 January 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  It's a simple choice: Mystic 72 6097 December 31, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 14476 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3258 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne