Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gradually non-religious
Gradually non-religious
Hello all!

I am posting here to contribute to the list of stories of those who have had a life similar to mine. It is important to understand that we are not alone nor strange.

My experience of Christianity started from my birth. My mother converted during her early 20's, and my father "converted" somewhat later. Just to be clear, they were both Christian when they married. My mother views her religion more seriously than my father, but neither ever expressed any religious doubt at all (nor are there any hints of doubt).

Growing up with both people being of the same religious conviction (and sub-convictions such as faith-healing and such) yet having one be more generally sedate about it was a bit confusing. Another strange thing was that their relationship is not at all a sane person would say is good. There was consistent (and occasionally constant) bickering (not religious). The bickering commonly led to one-hour long (and sometimes longer) confrontations. So, again, two people, same religion, yet not a speck of happiness with one another.

I was indoctrinated much like many others. Bible study, Bible stories (you know, the ones for kids, such as a flood where thousands of adults and children drowned and the one about the eternal torture of hell fo rnon-believers), "Jesus loves you," no religious questioning or open-mindedness whatsoever, literal Bible interpretation, no speech about the origins of Christianity, the whole, dumb deal.

I did believe quite fervently up until about the age of 17. My faith and lack of critical, scientific, world-conscious thinking increased steadily. Quite humorously, the atheistic posts on a site called FunnyJunk started the change. I slowly researched more about topics relevant to Christianity, evolution, the origin of the universe, Judaism (which, I discovered, if it is wrong, Christianity is wrong as well), the infallability and God-origin of the Bible, and so on. I recently (from 19 to the present day) started listening to podcasts about the atheistic perspective on Christianity, which encouraged me in letting go of my faith.

Also, knowledge of human biology, cultures, and psychology helped me realize that all people are naturally prone to create religious and supernatural explanations for things in order to make ourselves feel better. Pretty significant, right?

I will continue this post when I get more time.

I welcome your comments and similar experiences!
RE: Gradually non-religious
Welcome unno, your story is very interesting thank you Smile You're right, people seem to have real trouble dealing with the unknown, so prefer to have a one-size-fits-all answer to everything, even if blatantly doesn't actually address the questions. However I think things are slowly getting better, in several countries anyhow.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
...aaaannnnd you are welcome Smile
Welcome! Smile
Don't know if you posted an intro but this will suffice.

Welcome aboard.

(Guess your mom wasn't big on the part of xtianity that tells women to STFU and do what they are told? Good for her.)
Welcome unno! Great to have you here with us!
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome

Quote:Also, knowledge of human biology, cultures, and psychology helped me realize that all people are naturally prone to create religious and supernatural explanations for things in order to make ourselves feel better. Pretty significant, right?
Yep.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Welcome unno Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1756 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  Lone non-believer Just another girl 13 2510 May 22, 2013 at 3:14 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  How I became a non-believer SleepingDemon 7 2701 April 18, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: fr0d0