Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about the lifespan of scientific theories.
A question about the lifespan of scientific theories.
A quick question to all of the people holding the facts out there:
I'm personally an Atheist, and was recently in a discussion with my Christian friend about God, evolution and so forth.
A thing that bugged me a bit was one of her "facts," which i could not really comment upon since i didn't have the knowledge about it.
Her argument was, that religion had lasted for thousands of years, and apparently (according to her "facts"), scientific theories have an average "lifespan" of about 30 years. Now i know for a fact that it's because science constantly discovers new things to replace the old theories, which i told her, but is this actually a fact, that theories have an average lifespan of 30 years?
RE: A question about the lifespan of scientific theories.
Never heard of it. It's your friend's claim - if they can't back it up, you're perfectly justified in rejecting in.

Furthermore, religion hasn't "lasted for thousands of years" unchanged.
(January 11, 2015 at 8:12 pm)Hammod1612 Wrote: A quick question to all of the people holding the facts out there:
I'm personally an Atheist, and was recently in a discussion with my Christian friend about God, evolution and so forth.
A thing that bugged me a bit was one of her "facts," which i could not really comment upon since i didn't have the knowledge about it.
Her argument was, that religion had lasted for thousands of years, and apparently (according to her "facts"), scientific theories have an average "lifespan" of about 30 years. Now i know for a fact that it's because science constantly discovers new things to replace the old theories, which i told her, but is this actually a fact, that theories have an average lifespan of 30 years?

No idea. But if they do, it is a very good thing. The shorter the time a scientific theory last, the faster we are accumulating new knowledge and understanding more about the world around us.

Tell your friend that a belief lasting thousands of years doesn't make that belief correct, it is simply the calcification of wrongness.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Your friend sounds like an idiot.
(January 11, 2015 at 8:12 pm)Hammod1612 Wrote: A quick question to all of the people holding the facts out there:
\

If your friend is LDS, boy oh boy, could I pop her balloon.

BTW, Newton's theory of gravity (hundreds of years old) is still accurate enough to guide spacecraft to planets billions of miles away to an accuracy of just some tens of miles.
(January 11, 2015 at 8:12 pm)Hammod1612 Wrote: Her argument was, that religion had lasted for thousands of years, and apparently (according to her "facts"), scientific theories have an average "lifespan" of about 30 years.

That's because science is about learning and religion is about ignorance. Whenever some new facts come up, scientists are ready to revise their theories or build on existing ones.

So what your friend says is an argument from ignorance.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
It's not clear when one would declare one theory to end and a new one to begin. Usually, there are continuous amendments because new knowledge is gained. That doesn't mean that all previous theory is discarded. The 30 years sound completely made up. Newtonian physics was uncontested for hundreds of years and even today is valid as a limiting case of relativity and quantum mechanics, say. Darwinian evolution has been put in a context of the neodarwinian synthesis, what, 80 years later or so, and also here one can speak of a refinement, and some removal of baggage, not replacement. I'm willing to bet my gravestone that the core tenets of darwinian evolution will still hold in 1000 years time. The ptolomaian model of the solar system was used for 1400 years. Even copernicus after that was more like a reinterpretation (a change of viewpoint, and some technicalities like using some epicycles instead of equants) than a complete replacement.

Now, religion simply has no quality standards at all, it allegedly lasting thousands of years means nothing. Changing it was often forbidden by the ruling class and through most of history you'd be killed for trying - and it has still changed. So even there, if you apply similar standards of comparison to e.g. Christianity , which you use to to get your fantasy 30 years lifespan of theories, you'd find that Christianity did *not* last even close to a thousand years. The religion which, according to christians, was conceived by jesus, was for jews only and is not the same one that was spread among the gentiles a few centuries later. It couldn't have been because it before was -according to christian literature- an apocalyptic cult which assumed that the end times were immanent. Protestantism is a child of the 16th century, and so on. Even here, people continue making up a new religion and just keep the name for marketing purposes. So even that is an obvious lie. I would even go so far and say thay fundamentalist christianity is a newly invented religion and not the same one the pilgrims took with them to America, for example.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Let's just take Christianity.

There are something like 34,000 (yes, that's correct thirty-four thousand) different denominations of Christianity.

Christianity today is nothing like Christianity of 500 CE or earlier

The simple fact that your female friend is able to express an opinion at all is evidence that Christianity has changed, a lot.

If we are going to be so broad in our definitions then all you need to say is the science of combustion (making fire) has been around longer than her religion (2000 years or so), so she needs to stop listening to that old bullshine she is being fed by her religious sources and try using her own brain for a bit.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(January 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: [quote='Hammod1612' pid='842752' dateline='1421021520']
A quick question to all of the people holding the facts out there:

Scientific theories have rarely been over turned. Perhaps they confused hypothesizes with theories.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
@ManMachine

exactly
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6621 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2556 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 59434 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 45399 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67453 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 17703 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12452 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism sswhateverlove 315 44544 September 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A Scientific Response to Creationist on: Kinds Duke Guilmon 28 8228 April 27, 2014 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  Scientific Morality! It's about time! Magnum 58 22906 August 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda