Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Voudu a Christian Religion, or How to Classify Religions
Is Voudu a Christian Religion, or How to Classify Religions
Once upon a time (actually around the Haiti earthquake) Voudu came up in a discussion, and I said something about it being a Christian sect, which the local Christian got testy about. I pointed out that the vast majority of Haitian Vouduns are Catholic and attend Mass regularly. That was rejected....but here's the point, should religions be group by phylogeny? Thus Voudu is both West African and Christian, as it developed from those.

Alternately, you use the internal guidelines for what is or is not included - like when Muslims decide what branches of Sufism are still okay, or why the Kurdish religions unbelievers. Christians generally quote the bit where Jesus said "the only way to the Father is through me" (BTW, the vast majority of religious scholars attest that he did NOT say that and it was added later), so anyone who accepts Jesus is a Christian? Which doesn't explain why Voudun aren't Christians.

Yeah, I know, it's silly. Don't need to say that. Go vent somewhere else.

Just a random aside, I'm working on a setting for FRPG where the Caribbean and SAmerica get cut off from this world right around the Haitian rebellion, and thus Voudu actually becomes the state religion of the Empire of Nef Guineé.
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu
RE: Is Voudu a Christian Religion, or How to Classify Religions
If you worship Jesus, and put Yahweh before anything else, you're a christian. The friction comes in if you don't follow other commandments. Although Jesus didn't say if you break a commandment you'll go to hell. He said you'd be called least in heaven. This is how you can still have homosexual christians, despite some people saying homosexuality is a fast track to hell. Can these guys be christian? Sure. Seems a bit witchcrafty, though, and there is that verse about never suffering a witch to live.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

VooDoo or Voudu is the worship and invocation of many spirits and sub-order gods. So no they are not Christian as the primary Command is to worship and love the One God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou
Christians are really spotty about enforcing franchise agreements. (and we won't even talk about how high I set the bar for claimants)

I'd think one would be more likely to see a Voudun handling serpents and/or drinking poison (the Haitian water would qualify, BTW) and that is in fact listed in Scripture as a way we could ID a believer.

So Drich is incorrect.
Anyone can make a sect for christianity all they keep the the only 2 important things god and jesus after that they could make up any back story they want.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I also infer, Drich is referring to one of the 10 Commandments in his post, and I must also point out Matthew (one of the 4 gospels since there seems at times to be limited familiarity here with the gospels*) fails to record Jesus endorsing that commandment, instead, He is noted as pruning the list to 5 or so. This would be another insuperable difficulty with Drich's claim the Vouduns aren't Christian.

*case in point
(January 12, 2015 at 10:46 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I also infer, Drich is referring to one of the 10 Commandments in his post, and I must also point out Matthew (one of the 4 gospels since there seems at times to be limited familiarity here with the gospels*) fails to record Jesus endorsing that commandment, instead, He is noted as pruning the list to 5 or so. This would be another insuperable difficulty with Drich's claim the Vouduns aren't Christian.

*case in point

10 Commandments were destroyed by moses...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Wiki notes the existence of snake charmers in Haiti, and I would suspect that implies indigenous poisonous serpents, as the excitement of watching a snake charmer is considerably reduced if the serpent is nontoxic.

So we have deadly serpent handling in Haiti too.

I'm pretty satisfied, as I trust most everyone else here is, that Drich is incorrect.
(January 12, 2015 at 10:40 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Christians are really spotty about enforcing franchise agreements. (and we won't even talk about how high I set the bar for claimants)

I'd think one would be more likely to see a Voudun handling serpents and/or drinking poison (the Haitian water would qualify, BTW) and that is in fact listed in Scripture as a way we could ID a believer.

So Drich is incorrect.

ROFLOL
We all agree on the greatest commands. That's what makes us Christian. Worshiping the one God is the highest of the high commands it is the quintessential requirement for Christianity. If you can not limit your dealings with the one God then you are not Christian.

Christ's own words:
Mat 22:36 He said, “Teacher, which command in the law is the most important?”

37 Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and most important command. 39 And the second command is like the first: ‘Love your neighbor[b] the same as you love yourself.’[c] 40 All of the law and the writings of the prophets take their meaning from these two commands.”

(January 12, 2015 at 10:46 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I also infer, Drich is referring to one of the 10 Commandments in his post, and I must also point out Matthew (one of the 4 gospels since there seems at times to be limited familiarity here with the gospels*) fails to record Jesus endorsing that commandment, instead, He is noted as pruning the list to 5 or so. This would be another insuperable difficulty with Drich's claim the Vouduns aren't Christian.

*case in point

ROFLOL
I love it when you guys put on your exegitical hats!
Nice try but again In the passage above Christ Himself outlines our greatest command.

(January 12, 2015 at 10:53 am)dyresand Wrote:

*case in point
:

10 Commandments were destroyed by moses...

:Facepalm:

(January 12, 2015 at 10:54 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Wiki notes the existence of snake charmers in Haiti, and I would suspect that implies indigenous poisonous serpents, as the excitement of watching a snake charmer is considerably reduced if the serpent is nontoxic.

So we have deadly serpent handling in Haiti too.

I'm pretty satisfied, as I trust most everyone else here is, that Drich is incorrect.

ROFLOLROFLOLMaybe if you keep saying Drich is incorrect the rest of the sheep will follow suit? Is that your line of reasoning?
No, it's just an additional belief-set held by some christians who sometimes borrow thematic elements (though, obviously, being christian is not a requirement for holding that belief-set) .
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1815 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2700 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3441 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 10935 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3692 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10543 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12772 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 596 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 10917 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22643 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares