Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits of atheism and theism
Benefits of atheism and theism
In my opinion, being an atheist or a theist is not a choice. It's a state of mind. You either have found a god proposition that you are convinced by, or you have not. You can't choose to become convinced or unconvinced of something at will, not without severe measures anyway. At least, I've only heard one person ever claim to be able to do this and I'm not sure I believe them. Of course further evidence, and deep thought, can lead to you changing your mind. So this is not meant to be a list of incentives to try and sway anyone either way, but just a study of my observations. These are not meant to be judgements either, this isn't a contest.

That being said, I thought it would be interesting to analyze what the benefits are of each position. For simplicity, I'm going to look at what seems to me to be the main two positions: a member of a popular religion, or a sceptic atheist. I realize this does not cover everyone, but that doesn't matter for this purpose. The lists would change for those who don't fit into either category, depending on their particular beliefs or thinking. Feel free to suggest what your own list is, or how yours differs from mine even if you're in one of my main two categories. I'm not saying that items on either list are definitely going to be the case, or are exclusive to that list, but they represent what I think to be an important factor.

I'm looking at this from the point of view of a theist who truly believes in their religion. I am fully aware that there are a significant number of people who go along with religion for convenience, or other reasons, but still call themselves religious. For those people, not all of the list will apply. Also, items on my list would usually be seen as benefits by the theist, but not necessarily by an atheist observer. And I am talking in very general terms about the kind of thing that happens in religions.

From the atheist point of view, I'm talking about someone who values critical thinking and has come to atheism primarily for that reason. I think it's fairly unlikely a theist would pretend to be an atheist (except to troll on forums).

Feedback welcome! I'll be interested to see if I have managed to sum up the benefits of religion at all accurately, given I've never been a part of one.

Benefits of being a member of a popular religion

Benefits of being a sceptic atheist

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Benefits of atheism and theism
I get to keep 100% of my earnings and not 90%

(Excluding uncle sam's cut Sad
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Big Grin atheism is best world view.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I think you summed it up well but there is no 'Freedom to have orgies or eat babies' under the atheism tab.
(January 13, 2015 at 9:05 am)dyresand Wrote: Big Grin atheism is best world view.

Not in Saudi Arabia it isn't.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
And since when is atheism a worldview?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 13, 2015 at 9:16 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: And since when is atheism a worldview?
Since it's a conception of the world that has no place for Father Zeus and his Olympian hall, or any other adolescent supreme being myths?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(January 13, 2015 at 9:40 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(January 13, 2015 at 9:16 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: And since when is atheism a worldview?
Since it's a conception of the world that has no place for Father Zeus and his Olympian hall, or any other adolescent supreme being myths?

But it's a single stance on a single issue. That's like saying that not believing in homeopathy is a worldview or disbelief in unicorns is a worldview. I'd stick it under "secular", which has a set of ideas and a method in which to address the world, but I consider atheism as the result of a worldview, not one in and of itself.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 13, 2015 at 9:42 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 13, 2015 at 9:40 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Since it's a conception of the world that has no place for Father Zeus and his Olympian hall, or any other adolescent supreme being myths?

But it's a single stance on a single issue. That's like saying that not believing in homeopathy is a worldview or disbelief in unicorns is a worldview. I'd stick it under "secular", which has a set of ideas and a method in which to address the world, but I consider atheism as the result of a worldview, not one in and of itself.
That's valid.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Yeah... It's tricky. I wouldn't call it a worldview either, but I can almost see how it could be classed as one since 80% of the planet believe in fairy stories. But it doesn't actually tell you anything else about a person at all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 33581 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 5918 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 3947 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5229 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15368 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1539 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3357 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheism and Theism Comparison The Joker 86 11925 November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Do you see any benefits to religious faith? Mudhammam 228 30082 September 22, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Does fasting actually have health benefits? ReptilianPeon 26 4891 June 22, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: brewer