Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay so I bought this stupid antique...
Okay so I bought this stupid antique...
With the intention of using it, but I don't have an office!

[Image: 4MK8xwK.jpg]

I think it was made in 1927, it's from Old Parliament House, it's a replica of EB's desk which itself is at the National Archives (I'll have to go there and get a picture of it).

It's currently sitting in my shed until I find a genuine use for it! I paid $1500, and I've already been offered a buyer that will take it for 7,000 if I want to sell it (which I don't!) Note that it's already been restored, so I don't need to spend a cent on it fixing anything, aside from of course chasing down more authentic handles.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Okay so I bought this stupid antique...
I like it, what material is the desk top made of? And who is EB?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 14, 2015 at 9:39 am)Alex K Wrote: And who is EB?

Making a guess:

Sir Edmund Barton, first PM of Australia.
Ah. Of course, Australia, I forgot!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Edmund Barton, correct.

Here's another replica (I actually took this photo more than a year ago):

[Image: 4HsMPB0.jpg]

There are a few differences between it and mine, the main thing of course of interest is the handles which I believe are the original handles for that desk (and probably the same as EB's desk, but once I go see it and take a photo I can tell you for sure). I will try and go and see that desk (above), assuming I can get the address of the person who bought it.

Material - I don't know timbers very well. It was certainly made in Melbourne so it's probably Victorian Ash, but I can't say for certain. It'd be the same timber as EB's desk though.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
If you have the space for it, I say keep it until you do have an office.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
If they hadn't refinished it it would be worth at least $100,000.

(how many times have I heard that on Antiques Roadshow ??)
Oh I thought the (green?) Top was some other material

Could your garage become your office?

Just a corner of it?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 14, 2015 at 9:50 am)Cato Wrote:
(January 14, 2015 at 9:39 am)Alex K Wrote: And who is EB?

Making a guess:

Sir Edmund Barton, first PM of Australia.

Do you suppose he had room to hump his secretary on top of it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Stupid Cousin question of the day. Gawdzilla Sama 4 446 December 12, 2020 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Alex K: I Hope He's Okay Rhondazvous 33 3521 November 17, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1527 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 718 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  Stupid shit you've seen. Gawdzilla Sama 44 5602 December 26, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupid Sayings brewer 52 2855 October 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2170 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Stupid Spell Check. Brian37 19 2120 March 25, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4093 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2098 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet