Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:58 am

Poll: 'Waiting for Godot' is a significant philosophical work of 20th Century?
This poll is closed.
I agree
0%
0 0%
I don't agree
25.00%
1 25.00%
I've never seen/read it but I'd quite like to
25.00%
1 25.00%
Don't know, don't care
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work?
Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work?
Question - Is Samuel Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot' one of the most significant Philosophical works of the 20th Century?

1. I agree

2. I don't agree

3. I've not seen or read it but I'd quite like to

4. Don't know, don't care

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work?
(January 15, 2015 at 8:10 am)ManMachine Wrote: Question - Is Samuel Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot' one of the most significant Philosophical works of the 20th Century?

1. I agree

2. I don't agree

MM

It's a little odd that you give agree/disagree as choices to a yes/no question.Thinking
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 15, 2015 at 9:02 am)Chas Wrote: It's a little odd that you give agree/disagree as choices to a yes/no question.Thinking

Absurd wording in keeping with the subject?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 15, 2015 at 9:02 am)Chas Wrote:
(January 15, 2015 at 8:10 am)ManMachine Wrote: Question - Is Samuel Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot' one of the most significant Philosophical works of the 20th Century?

1. I agree

2. I don't agree

MM

It's a little odd that you give agree/disagree as choices to a yes/no question.Thinking

Ah, no excuses, I just didn't check my phrasing.

I wrote the question down on my notepad along with the options I was going to use. I left it and came back a little later and re-phrased the question but didn't go back over the answer options.

Take the questions as "I propose that 'Waiting for Godot' is one of the most significant works of Philosophy in the 20th Century."

I'd never considered Waiting for Godot as a serious philosophical work until I read an article on Philosophical Viewpoints which posed some of the following questions (author not identified, the items in square brackets are my additions)

" - Lucky is the only character in Waiting for Godot whose actions are rational, rather than absurd.
- Beckett espouses the Existentialist tenet that the world is without meaning, but disagrees with the belief that one can give the world meaning and purpose through action.
- The barren setting of Waiting for Godot is proof that Vladimir and Estragon will never be able to break their cycle of inactive waiting; it negates the possibility of life or creation.
- Suffering is a necessary and constant state for all men in the world of Waiting for Godot.
- Pozzo chooses to go blind because he has lost his watch [a reference to timepieces used in Philosophical arguments by Cicero, Voltaire, Descartes and famously Paley's blind watchmaker. This, for me, leaves no doubt that Beckett intended a philosophical subtext to his play].
- Waiting for Godot operates on one damning, principal contradiction: the men can only be saved if their personal god, Godot, were to appear. However, since a commonly accepted interpretation of God is that he is without extension (meaning he doesn’t occupy space), Godot’s presence would mean that he is not God. This renders Vladimir and Estragon’s waiting absurdly futile.
- Because Lucky and Pozzo understand and accept the nature of their positions as slave and master, they have a healthier relationship than Vladimir and Estragon.
- Lucky’s position is the most enviable in Waiting for Godot since he has the security of being told what to do.
- Vladimir and Estragon are slaves to their concept of Godot just as Lucky is a slave to Pozzo.
- Vladimir and Estragon suffer not for lack of happiness, but for lack of certainty. It is worse to not know whether or not they are miserable than to be certain of their anguish.
- Estragon and Vladimir put the label of "waiting for Godot" on what is really just a systematic waiting for death."

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I keep reading Estragon as Estrogen Undecided
(January 15, 2015 at 11:40 am)LostLocke Wrote: I keep reading Estragon as Estrogen Undecided

Estragon is a mustard brand where I live.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Read it a long time ago.
Don't remember plot. I don't feel too guilty about that if it was absurdist.
I do remember the plot of the National Lampoon version, Godot showed up about 10 seconds in and everybody said 'hi' and left.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
This is not really a hot topic in philosophy is it? What, did you just read it in a college lit class or something? Tongue
(January 15, 2015 at 1:02 pm)bennyboy Wrote: This is not really a hot topic in philosophy is it? What, did you just read it in a college lit class or something? Tongue

What isn't a hot topic, Beckett as a philosopher or his perceived absurdism?

MM

Uh... I don't remember the plot details enough to say. I didn't really get much out of it at the time. That said, maybe I wasn't trying hard enough to decipher the meaning. The problem I have with digging deep to find meaning, though, is that if you dig deep enough into anything you can find hidden meaning that isn't actually there!
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 1302 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1061 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 1731 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 302 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15457 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1747 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1609 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2105 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12582 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? BrianSoddingBoru4 146 16249 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet