Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moms not taking my atheism well.
Moms not taking my atheism well.
I came out to her about my new lack of a belief in a God or gods, and she's treating it as if I have died. She's not saying I'm dead to her, but she is mourning my loss of faith as if I had died. She asked if this means I wouldn't be singing any Christian songs anymore, and my best answer was "I'm sorry." She started crying.

I know it meant so much to her that I stayed Christian, and sing Christian songs, and such, and after coming out to her, I now feel as though I killed her inside and I feel guilty inside. How do I handle this? I'm worried that she may blame herself.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Moms not taking my atheism well.
if she does blame herself its not your fault.
its all on her.
What would you do if you saw your mom distressed about something beyond your control?
Comfort her, help her accept reality.
Put no blame on anyone... things are as they are.
(January 15, 2015 at 11:38 am)IanHulett Wrote: I came out to her about my new lack of a belief in a God or gods, and she's treating it as if I have died. She's not saying I'm dead to her, but she is mourning my loss of faith as if I had died. She asked if this means I wouldn't be singing any Christian songs anymore, and my best answer was "I'm sorry." She started crying.

I know it meant so much to her that I stayed Christian, and sing Christian songs, and such, and after coming out to her, I now feel as though I killed her inside and I feel guilty inside. How do I handle this? I'm worried that she may blame herself.

I'm very sorry, really. I just hope that she'll find out that it's not as bad as she maybe thinks at first - you're still the same person. Her grief is certainly real, and she will have to go through these phases of grief and work it out for herself, I don't think there's much you can change about that, except showing her that you still love her and nothing about you has really changed.

You said that you're only the last in a row of siblings to leave the faith. Viewed from the outside, you as the remaining "good son" among the "fallen ones" was not a very healthy family constellation anyways, if you ask me. Did she blame herself for the others? Does she have a relationship with them? Maybe it will improve if you join them? Pure speculation of course.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It's not your fault Ian. I'm very sorry to hear she took it so hard. We don't have a choice in these matters, when our brains are no longer convinced by something, we can't decide to just become convinced again through choice. So it's not like you've even made a conscious decision to not believe, it's just what happens.

My advice is to focus on the difference between religious faith and your personal relationship with each other. They are entirely different things, but people can so often get that blurred when religion is really important to them. You could reassure her that you feel no differently about her, and that you are still the same person. She should be able to see who you are through your actions, more so than going through religious rituals that anyone can do.

I would recommend reinforcing that it's the religion, not her, that you can no longer believe in. And if it would help, you could give rational reasons, such as there is no evidence. That's a judgement call depending on what your mother is like.

Again I'm really sorry to hear this, and I hope you can both work it out. A lot of people find the best thing is to agree not to talk about religious matters, and just enjoy each other's company, talking about anything and everything else.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Also, I'm as atheist as they get, and I've spend a significant time singing Christian music...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Try to be understanding.
She is frightened because you have chosen to leave the tribe.
It's a jungle out there and she is worried about your well being.
Mothers worry about their kids. It's natural.
It is hard to show her that her fear for her loved one is superstitious and unfounded and exactly like the fears of a young child afraid of the dark. And the difficulty is for a very good reason. Her fears are not unfounded. It's a jungle out there.
Over time, the child grows out of the fear of the dark as they become more competent and able to handle the dangers they face. Sometimes the adult grows out of the fear of the unknown.
Sometimes not.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Sorry to hear about this. I can understand where you're coming from though. I know for a fact that my parents would have an equal, if not worse, reaction if I came out to them.

You're the same person you were before you came out to her, and I think that she will see that after some time has passed. Hopefully, she'll accept you for who you are, despite what you choose to believe in or not to believe in.

It's tough to offer meaningful advice in these cases. Sad I hope all goes well for you and that you guys come to an understanding.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, color me smeckledorfed! no one 4 652 December 31, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 953 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3513 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2336 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Well, Stormy...He IS An Old Sack of Shit Minimalist 11 1365 August 28, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Guest shots that might not go so well... Gawdzilla Sama 33 2635 August 22, 2018 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 282 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4172 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Well, then... Foxaèr 6 766 March 17, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Well, I've finally lost it. Gawdzilla Sama 0 613 January 27, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama