Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rules
The Rules
This is a thread about the rules...

Look guys, we staff are a group of volunteers who love the forum and want to see it run smoothly. Our efforts usually go largely awarded by the great discourse we generally have around the forum. Lately, however, there have been flaunters and trolls; mad reporting abuse and 30/30 breaches galore. We've been ripping our hair out- surprised by some of you, even. It's time for a little refresher.

These are the rules. Let's go over some of them carefully:

This one's a big "duh" but it seems a lot of you need to be reminded:

Quote:No Trolling
Trolling is where a person makes a deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response, and is not allowed. As discussions can at times get heated, not all provocative posts will get classed as trolling. However, if a member is found to be making multiple such posts, or appear to only be using the forum to provoke people, they will be in violation of this rule.

Trolling is not "oooo that guy hurt my feewings!" We get way too many reports accusing people of trolling just because an insult was thrown during conversation. Grow a thick skin, people.

Quote:30/30
In addition to the No Advertising rule, there is also the 30 days and 30 posts requirement. New users must accrue 30 posts and be a member for 30 days before they are allowed to post external content, such as links, images or videos. This is to ensure that advertising is not your sole purpose on this forum. Any posts where the sole intention is to link to external sites/videos may also be removed at the discretion of the staff. Once you have met the 30/30 requirements however these particular rules no longer apply.

Seriously, newbs. There is a very good reason we have this rule in place, and if you're ignoring the rules from your start here, you more than likely won't last long around here.

Quote:Ignore Lists
Members are not permitted to add any member of staff to their ignore list. Doing so will result in a warning and persistent offenders will be banned.

That's just a reminder. A couple of months ago, we realized quite a lot of you have some of us on ignore. If it happens again, the offender will receive at least an official warning, if not, a ban.

Quote:No Calling Out
Do not any create threads that call out a specific member. Calling out is whenever someone creates a thread that is aimed at a specific member in order to insult him, complain about him, and/or to put him in a awkward position such as by challenging his views or even by asking him questions. This type of attack is sometimes accompanied by a display of a member's username in the title of a thread as well, and that is not allowed either. Any such posts or titles will be edited by the staff as soon as they are brought to our attention.

I can't believe I have to remind some of you of the "No Calling Out" rule. Fucking hell.

Quote:Quoting Others Accurately
When using the quote function to quote other members, you may quote in whole or in part, but may not change the quoted text in any way. Breaking this rule may result in staff intervention. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the misquote(s), you may be warned, banned, or have your post edited to indicate the violation and / or amend the misquote. Adding to the quoted text for clarification (i.e. bolding, numbering, italics, etc.) is okay provided you indicate that the additions are yours and not the quoted member's, and provided it doesn't change the meaning of the quoted text. Use of textual alteration for the purpose of parody may be allowed, provided it is clear that the changes have been made to the original quote. In the case of ambiguity, staff will err on the side of preserving the author's original words rather than preserving your artistic license. If in doubt, include the phrase "Changes made to original quotation." at the top of your post. Staff reserve the right to consider misquotations on a case-by-case basis, weighing context and additional factors.

By gawds. If you change someone's quote, you must indicate your change. Misquoting someone without attributing it is, again, an official warning, if not a ban.

(bold mine)
(Fixed it for you)
(I think you're a dick, so I'm going to rephrase this to make you look like one)

Anything like that.

Quote:Quoting Large Posts.
Creating long posts is absolutely fine (as long as they are your own work), but when you are replying to one try to avoid the temptation to quote the whole thing. Instead, simply quote small sections that you are replying to, as otherwise it tends to make the thread quite difficult to read. An alternative might be to wrap up large sections using the hide tag.

We've had to clean up WAY too many threads lately, with no one even PMing one of us saying, "I screwed up my post, can you help?" This sucks because then posts get quoted and quoted and quoted, and we have a bunch of word soup we have to clean up off the floor. If you're unsure about formatting, just ask. It's not difficult, and once you understand it, you'll actually want to use it.

Now, just as an aside, the reporting system is getting heavily abused. If you're unsure whether to report something, just click "The Rules" link at the top right corner of your page and refresh yourself. We obviously appreciate you guys reporting appropriate posts, but if we get one more report of "so-and-so called me a poopyface, mommy," I'm gonna set my banhammer to automatic, I swear.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
RE: The Rules
Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzlt7IbTp6M
yeeeep. I never want to go back to that job.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(January 16, 2015 at 4:00 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: yeeeep. I never want to go back to that job.

Ssshhhh... You'll hurt our recruiting program.
You're doing a great job guys and I appreciate it. Sorry about all the extra hassle you've been getting lately. I hope this kick up the butt sets things straight!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well. Not everyone is as intolerant of stupidity as I am either. Carry on.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I have nothing really to add, just a couple of clarifications.

Regarding trolling, what m'colleague said is quite correct and precisely what we take into account when deliberating such reports. There is one more thing that trolling is not and that is someone disagreeing with you or correcting something, at face value anyway. To formally accuse someone of trolling under such circumstances is the equivalent of the youtube false DMCA claims a few years back and is an abuse of the report system. Expect a slap.

Regarding ignore lists, we've been cutting folk slack on the assumption that many cases stem from the days before new Staff members were Modified (ie I was on your list yesterday, today I got promoted to Mod, I'm still on your list because nobody has taken me off it). If that applies to you, then you're in the clear. In fact, it would be helpful if you revised your own ignore list accordingly; saves us having to do it ad hoc.

As for Quoting Large Posts, pretty please with sugar sprinkles get it right. For my sanity's sake if nothing else.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I did it recently for comedic effect, I hope that wasn't a nuisance.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have a question about calling out - If I find a user's post useful and wish to start a new thread about a different topic, can I quote it and use it to start the new thread, even if I don't mention the user's name or don't call him out directly?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

@Alex: Did what? Regardless, we always take context into account. Trust me, you'll know if you're being a nuisance. Angel
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5814 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can you figure out The Rules? Tiberius 0 950 April 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  New Rules Tiberius 20 5028 September 3, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Rules (Member Review) Tiberius 29 11170 September 3, 2015 at 2:11 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6808 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Announcement: Rules update Jackalope 1 1818 August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Introduction subforum rules and enforcement policy - you need to read this. Jackalope 21 6958 May 1, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  New Username Rules Tiberius 35 12245 January 24, 2014 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  An Update of the Rules Rayaan 8 4489 August 24, 2013 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  New Area 69 Rules Tiberius 22 10339 February 7, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman