Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Determinism, Free Will and Paradox
Determinism, Free Will and Paradox
We've talked much about determinism in the context of free will. If all the universe is a product of mechanical certainty, then there is no free will, at least as we'd normally think about it. But it seems to me we've taken a good philosophical idea and trivialized it as a kind of parlor trick to pull out of a hat for online discussions, ignoring that under the hat sits a universe-sized dragon to think about.

If we accept that everything that exists is connected, at least by Gravity, and perhaps by being entangled in a Big Bang event as well, then what does this mean? It means that all events, past, present and future, inevitably lead to my existence, and yours, and etc., like a multidemensional tapestry woven of a single thread. If you were to pull at that thread at any point in that tapestry, the entire picture would be transformed, perhaps subtly, or perhaps not so subtly. But perhaps we can't do that, can we, because we ourselves would then flicker out of existence. So free will, it seems, must be false. Right?

It also means that time doesn't matter to causality. Not only does every past event in the universe arrive at my existence, so is every single future event an absolute necessity: every death, every birth, every thought we all have-- they are all mutually co-dependent. Every neuron fired, every sperm that was #2 in the race to fertilize an egg, every movement of every particle in the universe, is co-dependent on every event that ever happened or will happen.

It seems to me that determinism implies yin-yang, the paradoxical separation of an individual life into the polar opposities of infinite power and infinitesimal importance: power, because each act I commit affects everything in the universe; and unimportance because those very actions are strictly determined by the position, momentum, spin, etc. of every particle in the universe. Therefore, determinism, if true, makes each of us the Alpha and the Omega-- both the beginning of all causality and its end. Paradoxically, however, it is exactly determinism which best allows for a real free will. I can choose to eat a Mars Bar, or to rape an entire nation, or to type in an internet forum, or to sit next to a river for 20 years, and in the end it all "works out," because the paradox of determinism means that everything I do is exactly what I am meant to do in order to keep the Universe chugging along toward the Big Crunch (or whatever).

The mistake in discarding free-will is this: that it favors only one expression of the paradox of existence. It favors the absolute effect OF the universe ON one's behavior, but ignores the equally absolute effect ON the universe OF one's behavior. If determinism is true, then free will must ALSO be true. That they are mutually exclusive means little-- only that we are not capable of accepting the paradoxical nature of reality.
RE: Determinism, Free Will and Paradox
Concerning your third paragraph: yes, from a maths point of view I'd say the whole history of the universe would be equivalent to the initial conditions plus the fundamental laws of physics. Deep philosophical question: does time even exist in this case? Smile

In any case, there currently aren't good reasons to think the universe is deterministic, so this discussion is interesting mainly as a thought experiment.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm)Alex K Wrote: Concerning your third paragraph: yes, from a maths point of view I'd say the whole history of the universe would be equivalent to the initial conditions plus the fundamental laws of physics. Deep philosophical question: does time even exist in this case? Smile
Saying that subsequent conditions are a product of initial conditions and the laws of physics seems to imply that time does exist. But I think the directionality is less clear-- given that all states, from beginning to end, are set in stone, then why wouldn't we argue that the initial conditions are a product OF subsequent events?

Quote:In any case, there currently aren't good reasons to think the universe is deterministic, so this discussion is interesting mainly as a thought experiment.
I've often agreed with you on this. However, how would one collect evidence on either side of this question?
Is this progression truly linear?
The laws are just explanations for everything around us that we know of so far, and thus are subject to change as we know more and more, so in a way we define these laws not the other way around. From our limited knowledge of quantum physics we have already seen that our observation and actions do effect the universe, so can we really claim that what we have is what it was meant to be? can we be certain that probabilities are only an illusion? Maybe all of us are the origins of our own universes having free will within the scope of that universe (translation: free-will is subjective, my opinion)!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

If our life is a true mechanical result why do we produce 50 million spermatozoon ?

Our live isn't a endpoint.

It's an hazard.

There is no destiny.

There is no goal.

Only mechanical chaos.
If God is the answer to your question, it means that you have asked the wrong question.
A good question always ask how never why.
(January 17, 2015 at 11:54 am)bennyboy Wrote: We've talked much about determinism in the context of free will. If all the universe is a product of mechanical certainty, then there is no free will, at least as we'd normally think about it.
No mind-as-unmoved mover, but I never thought about free will like that anyway. That's all that hard determinism takes off the table. Is that really such a problem? In and of itself, I mean, not a problem because it removes, in your mind...some other favored concept. An actual problem?
(you know my biggest gripe is that these threads always end up boiling down to "but if theres no free will then what about this other thing!" :Shrugs: What about it? Is it patently impossible to argue free will on it's own merits?)

Quote:But it seems to me we've taken a good philosophical idea and trivialized it as a kind of parlor trick to pull out of a hat for online discussions, ignoring that under the hat sits a universe-sized dragon to think about.
Are you claiming that there's a dragon in your garage, Mr Sagan? Show me. Wink

Quote:If we accept that everything that exists is connected, at least by Gravity, and perhaps by being entangled in a Big Bang event as well, then what does this mean? It means that all events, past, present and future, inevitably lead to my existence, and yours, and etc., like a multidemensional tapestry woven of a single thread.
I don't think we can make quite that big a leap just by removing/modifying "free will". Neither the present nor the future lead (in either tense) to you, inevitably or otherwise, unless we reject the notion and experience of asymmetry regarding time. Lets challenge one thing at a time, eh?

Quote:If you were to pull at that thread at any point in that tapestry, the entire picture would be transformed, perhaps subtly, or perhaps not so subtly. But perhaps we can't do that, can we, because we ourselves would then flicker out of existence.
If I removed your mother then I'd expect you to flicker, if I removed you then I would expect you to flicker (and in both cases I would expect to find no "future you"). If I removed your future self I wouldn't expect your present or past self to flicker, no. I wouldn't expect that, because we end people all the time and it doesn't seem to have that effect. So, no...I don't think that removing -just any- strand changes the -whole- picture. Some "threads in the tapestry", sure, but not all.

Quote:So free will, it seems, must be false. Right?
On the basis of the above....I'd say no, not at all. I think you've gone off on a tangent about time and whether or not it expresses itself asymmetrically. If it expresses itself symmetrically, then perhaps I could remove you in the future and this would somehow alter the past - but things don't seem to work that way, in our experience -regardless of whether or not we have "free will". Or maybe I'm misreading?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 17, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Rhythm Wrote: If I removed your mother then I'd expect you to flicker, if I removed you then I would expect you to flicker (and in both cases I would expect to find no "future you"). If I removed your future self I wouldn't expect your present or past self to flicker, no. I wouldn't expect that, because we end people all the time and it doesn't seem to have that effect. So, no...I don't think that removing -just any- strand changes the -whole- picture. Some "threads in the tapestry", sure, but not all.
Yeah, but gravity.
You're going to have to develop that thought a little further than that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 17, 2015 at 12:20 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(January 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm)Alex K Wrote: Concerning your third paragraph: yes, from a maths point of view I'd say the whole history of the universe would be equivalent to the initial conditions plus the fundamental laws of physics. Deep philosophical question: does time even exist in this case? Smile
Saying that subsequent conditions are a product of initial conditions and the laws of physics seems to imply that time does exist. But I think the directionality is less clear-- given that all states, from beginning to end, are set in stone, then why wouldn't we argue that the initial conditions are a product OF subsequent events?
Ohh, my favourite topic, about which I can go on for days. No, directionality in this case is not clear at all! The laws of classical (non quantum) physics are identical under time reversal. If you look at a simulation of several mass points attracting each other, there is no way to tell whether you are watching it forward or backwards, save for one thing: if you're watching it forward, one tends to, statistically, observe less likely configurations to go towards more likely ones. If one has many many particles, this becomes the second law of thermodynamics. If, on the other extreme, you have just two particles, there is no notion of direction of time in principle.

In ypur deterministic pet universe, one could identify regions in time evolution where one can use entropy to assign a direction, and this would coincide with our subjective notion of an arrow of time. Towards heat death, this becomes less and less pronounced.
Quote:
Quote:In any case, there currently aren't good reasons to think the universe is deterministic, so this discussion is interesting mainly as a thought experiment.
I've often agreed with you on this. However, how would one collect evidence on either side of this question?

Quantum measurements look perfectly random, and if there are hidden variables which guide this observed randomness in a deterministic way, we do not have evidence for them. This to me is evidence against determinism - we can discuss how strong. If there is a many worlds multiverse, it is deterministic as a whole, but the subjective path through it for any observer is truly random if the observer we follow is chosen randomly.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

-except that QM is probabalistic, not "random". Isn't actually all that relevant to the discussion, since we're talking about creatures of a particular size at a particular level of interaction that is decidely -not- best modeled by reference to QM. Whatevers happening "down there" the picture is different "up here".

The minute someone says "but QM" I check out, bullshittery will follow. No offense, truly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newcomb's Paradox GrandizerII 23 2304 July 12, 2023 at 10:32 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Determinism vs Education Foxaèr 17 1068 October 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"? Porcupine 4 480 July 17, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism? mcc1789 44 5372 June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  The Paradox of tolerance and current events TaraJo 16 4927 August 19, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4237 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  WLC, Free Will, and God's divine foreknowledge SuperSentient 15 2718 April 1, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4546 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  The Definitive Post On The Free Will v. Determinism Debate BrianSoddingBoru4 17 3207 September 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1150 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus