Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do believers say when you ask or tell them..
What do believers say when you ask or tell them..
1. What happens if the religion you're believing in is wrong? Since there are more than the one God you're believing in. Don't you think it's a waste of time praying when you have no idea what might be the truth?
2. Don't you think heaven would be extremely boring after 5 billion years of being there, and still having forever left? It may be paradise but everything gets boring in the long run.
3. Who created God?
4. Why does God let bad things happen to good people?
5. The reason you don't commit horrible crimes, is it because you're afraid to be smited by God or because you think it's morally wrong?
6. If no one created God, why can't we say no one created the world?

I can guess what believers would answer to a few of these questions but I'd like to hear others opinions. And obviously some are more extreme than others.
Post more statements/questions if you have any Smile.
RE: What do believers say when you ask or tell them..
Welcome to the forums Don Quixote! I feel I should warn you that those windmills are unassailable. Good points if you don't believe but the human mind is great at rationalization. Cue fr0d0's response in 3... 2... 1...
I have no idea what believers say in answer to those questions.

The reasons:

I've never bothered to ask.

I really,truly don't care about the personal beliefs of others.

'What if you're wrong?" is a question Christians often ask atheists. The South Park clip below is Dawkins verbatim reply.

http://www.atheistmedia.com/2010/03/rich...wrong.html

I no longer even bother reading Christian apologist responses to the other questions. There are a limited number of answers,which become really boring after you've heard them 20 or 30 times.
(March 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Cue fr0d0's response in 3... 2... 1...

Woohoo! Big Grin Hungry

Welcome Soyouz Smile

(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 1. What happens if the religion you're believing in is wrong? Since there are more than the one God you're believing in. Don't you think it's a waste of time praying when you have no idea what might be the truth?

I only believe in 1 God. If you believe it you do it. If you don't believe it you don't.

(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 2. Don't you think heaven would be extremely boring after 5 billion years of being there, and still having forever left? It may be paradise but everything gets boring in the long run.

I don't suppose to know, but it's not beyond my imagination to envisage something amazing.

(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 3. Who created God?

No one. God just 'is' Big Grin

(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 4. Why does God let bad things happen to good people?

That's nature. How do you know they are really good? Maybe what you perceive as good is really very bad. Can bad things produce good things? From a wider perspective, what's good and bad?

(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 5. The reason you don't commit horrible crimes, is it because you're afraid to be smited by God or because you think it's morally wrong?

Because I'm afraid of getting caught. Because I reason that doing nice stuff is more beneficial to myself ultimately. That's what I get from exploring my faith as well as life experience. In my mind the fear you speak of is guilt from knowingly doing what you know inside is actually destructive to yourself.
I just think that religion is extremely odd, it makes no sense what so ever. A book with fairy tales written by mankind as entertainment, a spark of truth in some of the tales but everytime the tale has been told the speaker spices it up to make it more exciting. I think that people will in the not so far distant future start realising religion is wrong and will sit at the dinner table laughing over how silly people were when we believed in the religions we have today. The same as we look back at how people could believe in Thor, Trolls etc.

The only reason I can see why people believe is because they're brought up with it. But even in that case.. you have a choice.

It really really boggles my mind how people can believe in such absolute crap (in my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone). So tell me what's the reason for people believing in it except for being brought up with religion?

fr0d0 What do you think about Darwins theory?

Oh, thanks for the welcomes =).
(March 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Soyouz Wrote: 4. Why does God let bad things happen to good people?

(March 6, 2010 at 7:17 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: That's nature. How do you know they are really good? Maybe what you perceive as good is really very bad. Can bad things produce good things? From a wider perspective, what's good and bad?

Ok, so how do you know praying is good? How mad would you be if you found out you'd be in hell after you died?

How come there has never been any evidence of any miracle ever?
Why hasn't an arm or leg grown out? Why is it always something that might've gotten better anyway?
Quote:1. What happens if the religion you're believing in is wrong? Since there are more than the one God you're believing in. Don't you think it's a waste of time praying when you have no idea what might be the truth?
2. Don't you think heaven would be extremely boring after 5 billion years of being there, and still having forever left? It may be paradise but everything gets boring in the long run.
3. Who created God?
4. Why does God let bad things happen to good people?
5. The reason you don't commit horrible crimes, is it because you're afraid to be smited by God or because you think it's morally wrong?
Hey,

Greetings. I like answering questions. These are very standard, easy to get through.
1.if the religion we beleive is wrong, than we are wrong. I am not religious, but do believe strongly in god. If I am wrong, then I have been quite mistaken with reality as I saw it. I know that the existance of god is truth, just like most of you all know that the non0existance of god is truth. It dosn't seem silly to me, because it seems true.

2.The main characteristic of heaven is that it exists outside of space and time. If you went to heaven, you wouldn't be able to judge 5 billion years. There is no time, you're just there for a while. If it is really heaven, we think you would not get tired of it, but some of us thing you might get to come back here.

3. No one. This is the most common misunderstanding about the causal argument. I read a article on Alternet yesterday where the woman went on and on about this confusion. In the first cause argument, there are two options. Either the reality exists as a literally infinite chain of cause and effect, or it has a beginning. To have a beginning means there is something that was an effect without itself being caused. The 'unmoved mover'. If there is an un-caused effect, it could be god. If something made the something that made this reality, than it automatically becomes the first, and is upgraded to god. In the first cause argument, there is no room for 'what made god'.

4. The only issue more common than the flawed first cause, the 'why does bad things gotta happen?' line. God lets bad things happen (theoretically) because god made this beautiful machine, why would she fuck with it. Things have to die, bacteria have a right to live, pain is necessary. Usually people that argue god dosn't exist because they broke their leg once are misunderstanding the relationship between the world and god. God made the world. She made it the way it has to be. Why would she break the rules of the way things have to be for little old you? If the people that came before you didn't die and get out of the way, you wouldn't be here (or at least be more crowded). So when it's your turn, die and don't hate on god for it's inevitability. I just think that is a very weak argument. How come god lets people suffer? God gave people free will, so we can choose to suffer. We can hurt or be hurt. That is an example of her giving us freedom of action, do you want her to take it back?

5. Not smite, just right. I don't commit horrible crimes because I am a soldier in the army of Light. All morality, no fear.
I hope not to offend, but I love questions. The third and fourth points are very, very common and I feel like they need to be addressed.
"How come there has never been any evidence of any miracle ever?"
But if the weight of the proton was 1/4 of 1% larger or smaller, no start, no planets no life. That is a miracle. Small ponds and lakes lift off the ground and float around in the sky! Miracle. There are miracles everywhere. Every cell in your body has about 230 billion base pairs of DNA. Miracle. You can see art and hear music. Miracle... It's all in how you look at it.

Thank you.
-Pip
Welcome to the forums.

EvF
(March 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm)Soyouz Wrote: Ok, so how do you know praying is good?

Coz it makes you feel good. It's something selfless. Whatever happens as a result you're reliant on what God wants, and not you.

(March 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm)Soyouz Wrote: How mad would you be if you found out you'd be in hell after you died?

Personally I wouldn't be mad at all because for me it's all about the here and now. If my faith didn't enrich my life now I wouldn't bother.

(March 6, 2010 at 7:20 pm)Soyouz Wrote: How come there has never been any evidence of any miracle ever? Why hasn't an arm or leg grown out? Why is it always something that might've gotten better anyway?

Because then God would be provable and that's not the nature of God.
fr0d0 Wrote:Coz it makes you feel good. It's something selfless. Whatever happens as a result you're reliant on what God wants, and not you

I am interested in your belief on this matter...sorta.

What I wonder is, it makes you feel good - but it's selfless? So would good come from it if it didn't make you feel good? If not, how is it selfless? Is it really altruism? Does it just make oneself feel good (I'm guessing from the placebo effect alone but let's not get into another tedious evidence and faith argument that goes on forever) - if so, where does the selfLESS part come in?

Just...just curious.

EvF
It's internal thought but entered into, thinking an external mind is listening in. Giving to charity is selfless, and giving till it hurts more so. There's always a positive aspect to doing something not for yourself/ it isn't possible to do something selfless that doesn't.. unless you can think of an example.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1080 75352 7 hours ago
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24785 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4603 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16999 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8777 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 663 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1404 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1343 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 15471 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
  How to tell if a religion is B.S. onlinebiker 43 5442 November 25, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus