Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meaning of Life -_-
Meaning of Life -_-
I have seriously been assigned this as an essay. It's due in 2 and a half hours. I cannot even start because I'm constantly changing issues and my views. It's quite frustrating. I might post what I've written when I'm done. Anyone care to share their views or sources to other ideassss.??

What if I'm Nihilst!?
Then what? Tongue
RE: Meaning of Life -_-
Would be a short essay for me. I see no evidence that here is one. I am interested in reading what you wrote though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Wrote in about 40 mins. Short essay for me too. -_-;

The Meaning of Life

The meaning of life is indefinite. It is unique as must be defined by a person for and by themselves. This question has been asked by many different philosophers, religions, and scientist. There have been many theories and beliefs as to what the purpose is. There is even a belief of Nihilism, or those who believe life is without a purpose, meaning and contains no significance. Religions give a reason for pain, love, and ultimately a reason. The antiquity perspective usually consisted of mostly self-devotion; the meaning of life was meant to reach the highest level of self fulfillment to reach an afterlife. During pre-modern perspectives, universal religions such as Christian and Muslim faiths consisted of devotion and all-inclusive salvation, meaning the right to heaven or an afterlife was by the “grace of God”. This leaves room for questioning the meaning of life and therefore the idea of simply believing and having faith was necessary to reach this final destination and gave a meaning and/or purpose. Eastern religions moved from the self fulfillment idea to more abstract ideas which gave a place for ideals such as love, compassion and suffering. The early modern perspectives took place during the Enlightenment. During the Enlightenment, many philosophers came up with theories, most having to do with social order. The most radical views are during the contemporary era. As technology advanced, many previous beliefs were proven wrong with scientific reasoning. Humanism and existentialism were created as way to almost make a meaning to life.
I believe there isn’t a meaning to life. I believe there a factors that lead to self satisfaction but that is not the same as meaning. I believe in a purpose to living but the meaning itself is nonexistent.
“Life has no meaning, but as humans we try to associate a meaning or purpose so we can justify our existence” - The Real Meaning of Life
“There is no point in life, and that is exactly what makes it so special” - The Real Meaning of Life
“You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life” - The Real Meaning of Life
Where is the applause smiley when I need one? Smile

Great essay, even if it is short.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: Where is the applause smiley when I need one? Smile

Great essay, even if it is short.

Thank you. Smile
I kinda want to write a whole lot on my beliefs, ideas and questions. I just don't want to take the time to actually put it to text. Someday I will though.
This essay is two characters long:

'Nuff said.
Yes, the question "what is the meaning of life?" is akin to asking "what does a brick sound like?".
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
This is why I love being an atheist,I don't have to waste my time trying to search for meaning in a meaningless universe.There is no meaning to life why ask why?
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Bloody Hell! That essay's just made it crystal clear to me that I'm a nihilist!

I'm in shock.

Kyu
I'm agnostic to the idea of being a nihilist, there could be a meaning to life but what's wrong with admitting we don't know, it's the same as saying you know there's no god, how could we know for sure. It's not an admission of unintelligence to say we don't know in fact it's quiet the contrary. Why does man always think he has to have all the answers, that's what I dislike about religion.
Atheist = Realist
Theist = Arealist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2983 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3618 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 24717 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1383 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] What gives your life meaning? EgoDeath 30 3025 October 28, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2060 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3100 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2881 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 9896 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 6823 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger