Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charity
Charity
Which charities do you give to and why?

We give to:

1) Educational and research organizations: NPR; college scholarships (usually where we went out of sentiment); research medical and space usually.

2) Organizations designed to give a hand up rather than out: Habitat for Humanity; Doctors without Boarders; and organizations making very small capital loans being our current favorites.

3) Bright children we know and believe in through anonymous scholarships. Pure sentiment, but we like and believe in particular kids. And while the kids may not know where the money comes from, we do and we see the results and smile. So far we've sent three kids to music events they could not have gone to and two to community college that could not have gone.

4) Arts organizations.

5) Organizations that prevent poverty, Planned Parenthood being a prime example.

We give to better the world as a whole and more honestly, to make ourselves feel good.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Charity
A local food pantry.

I volunteer quite a bit of time for a couple of municipal projects too. For a small town, however, there sure is a lot of assholes . . .
(January 20, 2015 at 6:52 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: A local food pantry.

I volunteer quite a bit of time for a couple of municipal projects too. For a small town, however, there sure is a lot of assholes . . .

Assholes abound.

What kind of municipal projects? And reason you contribute to particular ones?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
When I was an Air Force member, I gave to the Nature Conservancy as a small percentage of my monthly check. I have given lump sums to Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the American Civil Liberties Union and People for The American Way.

I did this for obvious reasons - personal convictions that this was a good thing. The donations to the latter organizations was entirely from the tax cut/refund given by Bush Lite.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I've done some low voltage wiring in community buildings and other odd jobs. Heck, I've taken my own Weedeater and chainsaw in and massacred invasive weeds and shrubs.

I need to stay busy, some things just stand out and look annoying to me.
I'm curious what this has to do with the subject of philosophy.
What does philosophy have to do with anything?
(January 21, 2015 at 12:24 am)bennyboy Wrote: I'm curious what this has to do with the subject of philosophy.

I'm curious as to where you think it should go.
I just click on 'Today's Posts', anything misfiled I don't even notice.

As for deeper motivations for my charitable presence, it just doesn't go much past me not liking sitting around all day.
I don't have a lot of money, but I do donate to NPR, ASPCA, and Teach For America.

I am a very active volunteer with Middle Tennessee Golden Retriever Rescue. I transport dogs, foster, do home visits, volunteer at a local non-profit pet store.

It makes me feel good. It makes me feel connected to my community. I love people and dogs, and if I could make any person's or any dog's life a little brighter, that's cool.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---