Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The God Delusion: Your opinions on it?
The God Delusion: Your opinions on it?
Hey guys. I have bought the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins from Ebay, and it's due to show by next friday the 30th. I can't wait. Have you read it? Is it a good book? What are your views on it? Thanks a bunch.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: The God Delusion: Your opinions on it?
It's very good. It helped me a lot when I was 18 and I read it.

It is a polemic, which is a little off-putting for me now. There are better books out there, but it is still very good. Hitchens is still the best, IMO.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I think it's a pretty good book, nothing mind blowing or anything, but then, I read it as someone without a history of believing god claims. Who knows how it might seem to someone inured in a religion?

It's not as good as anything by Hitchens, whom I think is just the stronger writer of the two. That's why I find all those shrill christians going on about the God Delusion to be so funny; ultimately they're getting so worked up about a book that's only okay.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
What a waste of time and money! There are better books out there which give you the true meaning of life.
(January 21, 2015 at 10:43 pm)IanHulett Wrote: Hey guys. I have bought the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins from Ebay, and it's due to show by next friday the 30th. I can't wait. Have you read it? Is it a good book? What are your views on it? Thanks a bunch.

AWESOME SAUCE!

I would also recommend "God The Failed Hypothesis" by Victor Stenger and "The New Atheism" by Victor Stinger, and "God Is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.
I never got around to reading that one. Instead, I read:

Sam Harris' Letter to a Christian Nation.
Sam Harris' The End of Faith.
Christopher Hitchens' God is not Great.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 21, 2015 at 11:18 pm)JesusChristLover Wrote: What a waste of time and money! There are better books out there which give you the true meaning of life.

Like what? A 2,000 year old bronze age book containing no science and and nothing more than a gang manual giving humans an excuse to kill over a fictional sky hero?

No, I think that was really well spent money and damned sure worth the time.
(January 21, 2015 at 11:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 21, 2015 at 11:18 pm)JesusChristLover Wrote: What a waste of time and money! There are better books out there which give you the true meaning of life.

Like what? A 2,000 year old bronze age book containing no science and and nothing more than a gang manual giving humans an excuse to kill over a fictional sky hero?

No, I think that was really well spent money and damned sure worth the time.

Have to poke in your nose with your no cent worth of comment, don't you?
I said its a waste to time and money, so it is!

And FYI, I didn't refer to quran which you seem to mention in your reply.
(January 21, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Esquilax Wrote: I think it's a pretty good book, nothing mind blowing or anything, but then, I read it as someone without a history of believing god claims. Who knows how it might seem to someone inured in a religion?

It's not as good as anything by Hitchens, whom I think is just the stronger writer of the two. That's why I find all those shrill christians going on about the God Delusion to be so funny; ultimately they're getting so worked up about a book that's only okay.

Are you nuts? Dawkins doesn't speak in $50 dollar dog whistle code. Hitchins "God Is Not Great" and "The Portable Atheist" were his easiest reads for me. All the other stuff like Hitch 22 he spends too much time name dropping historical figures no one has ever heard of. Not knocking his education, but most of his books were written for PHD historians and not a general public.

The God Delusion is an awesome book. And an easy read for a layperson.
(January 21, 2015 at 11:40 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 21, 2015 at 10:59 pm)Esquilax Wrote: I think it's a pretty good book, nothing mind blowing or anything, but then, I read it as someone without a history of believing god claims. Who knows how it might seem to someone inured in a religion?

Are you nuts? Dawkins doesn't speak in $50 dollar dog whistle code. Hitchins "God Is Not Great" and "The Portable Atheist" were his easiest reads for me. All the other stuff like Hitch 22 he spends too much time name dropping historical figures no one has ever heard of. Not knocking his education, but most of his books were written for PHD historians and not a general public.

The God Delusion is an awesome book. And an easy read for a layperson.

I disagree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European Opinions Foxaèr 0 191 September 27, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 719 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  Your opinions are required regarding this project . Enlightened Ape 7 1228 April 28, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My schizophrenic opinions on sex segregation in gyms paulpablo 6 1264 August 30, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Regina
  So, I did it. Opinions needed Joods 31 2414 August 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions abaris 20 2729 March 7, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Your opinions, please Thumpalumpacus 40 4486 December 12, 2015 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Opinions wanted Sejanus 20 3171 September 5, 2014 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Unconventional opinions Sejanus 192 19981 April 19, 2014 at 5:08 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  To buy or not to buy? Opinions needed! Clueless Morgan 4 1500 January 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist