Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible.
Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible.
Oklahoma state rep Todd Russ wants to make it so only religious officials can officiate legally binding marriages, as a way of dodging same sex marriage laws.

Under his proposal, judges and county clerks would be unable to sign marriage licenses that have not first had the approval of a religious representative, who in his world would just deny all gays that right as a matter of course. Evidently, non-bigoted religious denominations (though one has to imagine Russ is only thinking that christian officials would be able to do this, his proposal would not possibly succeed if he outright said this) don't exist in his world.

But it's his rationale that really stands out:

Quote:“Marriages are not supposed to be a government thing anyway,” he said Wednesday.

Having had this thought, Russ promptly proposed government legislation dictating how marriages could be performed. Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible.
(January 23, 2015 at 4:54 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Oklahoma state rep Todd Russ wants to make it so only religious officials can officiate legally binding marriages, as a way of dodging same sex marriage laws.

Under his proposal, judges and county clerks would be unable to sign marriage licenses that have not first had the approval of a religious representative, who in his world would just deny all gays that right as a matter of course. Evidently, non-bigoted religious denominations (though one has to imagine Russ is only thinking that christian officials would be able to do this, his proposal would not possibly succeed if he outright said this) don't exist in his world.

But it's his rationale that really stands out:

Quote:“Marriages are not supposed to be a government thing anyway,” he said Wednesday.

Having had this thought, Russ promptly proposed government legislation dictating how marriages could be performed. Thinking

You can't fix stupid, but apparently you can elect it to office.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Is this guy for real? This is ridiculously dumb.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
M'urica
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(January 23, 2015 at 5:06 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: M'urica

[Image: hungary2011-meme-generator-i-don-t-want-...25255D.jpg]

This is low, even for 'Murica... or is it? I'd like to think so, but... Confusedhock: ...I don't know anymore. I know the religious right is dumb but... oh, who am I kidding! It isn't possible to underestimate the stupidity of some people. You know what they say: if you make something fool-proof, someone will create a better fool.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
What's funny about this is that the proposed legislation is in protest to the way the courts have supposedly usurped the proper legislative function. In the vanishingly small chance that this nonsense would ever get passed into law, take a wild guess how well it would fare when taken to court. The representative proposing the bill is mentioned in the article as being an Assemblies of God minister, so I don't expect much in the way of rationality from him; but you might think that some little bit of grade school civics would have adhered to his pea-sized brain -- enough that he would understand how ridiculous and doomed this proposal is, no matter how popular it might prove to be in Okieville.

Then again, the religious right in this country is all about grandstanding and the appearance of action. I doubt he really thinks his brain fart will fly. It's all about pandering to the same idiots who elected him in the first place.
How about fuck the institution and ill just say oh hey i guess i am married now no preacher needed i gave the person i love a ring and they gave me a ring back.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Fatuous dimwits like the one in the article seem to have a problem grasping how democratic institutions are supposed to operate.

1. Attempting to set aside court decisions meant to prevent discrimination (in this case, discrimination against homosexuals) by proposing legislation that proffers discrimination (in this case, against secularists) isn't the solution to a problem, it IS the fucking problem.

2. I haven't read the bill, but I strongly suspect that clergy of religions that either a) support gay marriage or b) don't really care that much about it won't be qualified to sign off on the marriage license. More discrimination.

3. People like this yammer head go about shrieking about 'the will of the people' and that a majority of voters don't support gay marriage. So fucking WHAT?? Democracy isn't about majority rule, it is about law, and about keeping the majority from running roughshod over the rights of the minority. Court are SUPPOSED to strike down unjust laws, that what courts are for, fer fuxxake.

As an aside, the pol in the article is an Assemblies of God minister. These people are Pentecostals in sheep's clothing, and can give Free Presbyterians a rough going in the World's Whackaloon Competition.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Oh, they've got the other side covered, too, Boru. They aren't ashamed in OK to literally try to legislate hate directly.

Oklahoma State Rep. Sally Kern Files Three of Most Bigoted Anti-Gay Bills You’ll Ever See

Sally Kern Wrote:HB 1597
No business entity shall be required to provide any services, accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods or privileges related to any lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender person, group or association.

Sally Kern Wrote:HB 1598
The people of this state have the right to seek and obtain counseling or conversion therapy from a mental health provider in order to control or end any unwanted sexual attraction, and no state agency shall infringe upon that right. Parents may obtain such counseling or therapy for their children under eighteen (18) years of age without interference by the state.

Sally Kern Wrote:HB 1599
No taxpayer funds or governmental salaries shall be paid for any activity that includes the licensing or support of same-sex marriage. No employee of this state and no employee of any local governmental entity shall officially recognize, grant or enforce a same-sex marriage license and continue to receive a salary, pension or other employee benefit at the expense of taxpayers of this state. No taxes or public funds of this state shall be spent enforcing any court order requiring the issuance or recognition of a same-sex marriage license.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Sounds like that will just put even more pressure on religious leaders to officiate marriages, if that's the only way marriage can be officiated. And when that pressure gets put on them, he'll whine about discrimination against religious leaders, despite the fact that he wanted a law passed that mandated it be done by them.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republicans are redefining marriage Foxaèr 5 652 August 26, 2020 at 10:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 1990 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3962 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Interracial Marriage and the Bible strawdawg 163 32174 March 3, 2016 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Pope decries gay marriage and advances Christian persecution complex Aroura 28 3829 February 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christian marriage in 2015 drfuzzy 14 4370 November 1, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The Gaypocalypse[Bringing back Traditional Marriage] Heat 17 5787 October 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Okay Girls.....Jesus Wants You to Fuck Like Bunnies Minimalist 133 25484 July 19, 2015 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 364549 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Catholic diocese refuses to sell land out of fear of gay marriage, but... Esquilax 14 4735 April 15, 2014 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Esquilax