Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
Hey guys. I know I've chosen to post this question, but how do I know if whether or not I have been preprogrammed to post this? It's not like I can go back in time to rethink my decision and choose another option. Does free will actually exist? Are all our actions just a product of time? Is there a way to actually test if whether or not we have free will? Thanks a bunch.

This is probably a stereotypical question (maybe even viewed as dumb by some), however I want to know what your thoughts are on the subject anyway.
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Does Free Will actually exist? Is there a way to tell?
Can you try to offer a more precise definition of the concept of free will you have in mind?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

free will
noun
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
What about an action that is constrained through choice but a choice is still available? In other words, if I'm told to pick a letter but I can only pick A, B, or C, is that choice free? How does that fall into your definition of free will?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Further complication, suppose that I can pick letter a, b, or c - but factors can be identified which allow someone to predict, to varying degrees of accuracy, which I will "choose"? Say...for example, I have a pathological fear of the letter A, and it's wednesday... I never pick C on wednesdays? Is my picking B, out of the already limited options available, "free will"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This should answer that question for you.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I am more inclined to think we don't have free will. The more I realize how biological, psychological, social, cultural, moral, economical, philosophical, political, ethical and political limitations we inherently have from birth I am more prone to think that at best, we might have a tiny margin of decision - And that is saying much.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(January 26, 2015 at 3:06 pm)IanHulett Wrote: free will
noun
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion

That doesn't go deep enough.
The question obviously must be how it is decided what it is I want to do.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm)IanHulett Wrote: Hey guys. I know I've chosen to post this question, but how do I know if whether or not I have been preprogrammed to post this? It's not like I can go back in time to rethink my decision and choose another option. Does free will actually exist? Are all our actions just a product of time? Is there a way to actually test if whether or not we have free will? Thanks a bunch.

This is probably a stereotypical question (maybe even viewed as dumb by some), however I want to know what your thoughts are on the subject anyway.

Since free will on this site is exclusively discussed with religion in mind I'll address it that way. Just because a moral system dictates the way one should act doesn't mean one has to responded to it. If one is commanded to be a suicide bomber, commanding one first of all says the one has a choice, the choice can be accepted or rejected. God commands through the scriptures one should not practice homosexual acts, that doesn't mean there are no homosexuals, to the contrary, a commandment wouldn't be necessary if there were none. One has the right to accept this command or reject it. The law of this country and the law in scriptures say do not murder, one has the choice to or not murder, people are not destined to be murders, if they were why would there be a command not to murder. If we knew people were predestined to murder or not there would be no need for the command. Commandments and law says free will exists.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I think "free will" is such a slippery term as to be as useless. To me it implies some sort of process going on in "us" which is seperate from the pure physics involved. But I feel there is no "us" apart from the physics.

(January 26, 2015 at 3:39 pm)dyresand Wrote: This should answer that question for you.

This is a very good and punchy video. I'd like to add a few thoughts:

What he said about Einstein, that he thought predetermined crimes should still be punished, was stupid. I don't know if he is quoting correctly here or not. But such a position makes no sense; if we accept determinism, there is no "should". This scenario implies we have one agent with free will deciding whether or nor to punish another agent who has no free will.

With regard to QM, I'm only just learning about it, and it is scary as fuck. I would however be cautious about saying that QM shows things are truly unpredictable. That may well be the case, but I have a voice of caution telling me that we may just not have the full picture. So I would be more comfortable saying that QM appears to show us that there is randomness. Anyone can feel free to kick my arse on that point, as I'm very ignorant so far on the subject.

This is where the slipperiness comes in. Is a bunch of random outcomes a "choice"? Doesn't sound much like one to me. Sounds like we're at the mercy of physics, just in a random way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The right way to be and the wrong way to be Ahriman 57 4500 April 29, 2022 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1117 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Cold - either way. onlinebiker 12 610 January 23, 2021 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 581 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do femicides really exist? Macoleco 27 1760 September 21, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Sal
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 619 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 774 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  This is how bored I actually am Cod 0 372 October 2, 2019 at 7:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1765 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  On my way now... Brian37 53 2878 March 30, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: fredd bear