Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many churches in your town?
How many churches in your town?
Recently I noticed how many churches we have around.

In any of the bigger cities there are something like 4 churches per district. In my hometown of something like 20,000 people there are 3 churches. A nearby town of 125,000 people has 6 churches. This seems excessive to me. I also can't seem to find the logic behind it. Wouldn't it make more sense to have one church per town instead of multiple which always fight with each other for parishinoers?

I'd like to know if this is a local phenomenon or is it common for christians everywhere. So, how many churches in your hometown?
RE: How many churches in your town?
I live in Houston currently, and there are 4 churches I pass just on my 2.5 mile walk home from work.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
We have a church on every other block in my town. In my original hometown we just had two on one street, which was called Church Street. We had one more on the other side of a highway as well.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I live in a town of roughly 40,000, and the closest I can come to estimating is by saying there are dozens.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There are two Baptist churches on my street. The buildings are about three miles apart from each other.

I don't want to give away my exact location but I looked up the churches in my town. There are 13 Baptist Churches, 3 Methodist Churches, 2 Presbyterian Churches, 8 Pentecostal, and 18 Christian-Other Churches.(That was the heading they were listed under.)

I used this to find all the churches in my community

http://www.churchfinder.com/

According to the internet, there are only about 13,000 people in my small community
Living in Charlotte, NC...lets just say we have more churches than starbucks plus all the indy coffee shops combined Angry
(January 28, 2015 at 10:34 am)Xeno Wrote: Recently I noticed how many churches we have around.

In any of the bigger cities there are something like 4 churches per district. In my hometown of something like 20,000 people there are 3 churches. A nearby town of 125,000 people has 6 churches. This seems excessive to me. I also can't seem to find the logic behind it. Wouldn't it make more sense to have one church per town instead of multiple which always fight with each other for parishinoers?

I'd like to know if this is a local phenomenon or is it common for christians everywhere. So, how many churches in your hometown?

What state or country do you reside? I want to move to a place with so few churches. In the Southern USA, churches are everywhere.

edited because I swear that I really do understand the difference between are and or. Tongue
(January 28, 2015 at 10:41 am)Nope Wrote: There are two Baptist churches on my street. The buildings are about three miles apart from each other.

I don't want to give away my exact location but I looked up the churches in my town. There are 13 Baptist Churches, 3 Methodist Churches, 2 Presbyterian Churches, 8 Pentecostal, and 18 Christian-Other Churches.(That was the heading they were listed under.)

I used this to find all the churches in my community

http://www.churchfinder.com/

According to the internet, there are only about 13,000 people in my small community

Shit, that's a LOT.

(January 28, 2015 at 10:42 am)polar bear Wrote: Living in Charlotte, NC...lets just say we have more churches than starbucks plus all the indy coffee shops combined Angry

Well that definitely sucks.

Wow, I guess I should stop complaining, then! And here I thought we had a lot. It's still too much though. Around 0 would be perfect.
First and foremost, since we were the capital of Europe from '800 on, we have the imperial chapel of Charlemagne, now a cathedral
[Image: 181_621372.jpg]

and 76 others, for 250000 inhabitants. Of course, barely anyone actually goes to church any more on sundays.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 28, 2015 at 10:44 am)Nope Wrote: What state are country do you reside? I want to move to a place with so few churches. In the Southern USA, churches are everywhere.

The bestest country in the whole wide world. [/sarcasm]

It's the ass-end of Europe known as Poland. There might be less churches, but you still don't want to move here. Trust me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1335 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 4967 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 16831 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  What to do with all the empty churches? I_am_not_mafia 22 4403 March 30, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 28600 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4831 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18073 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How Many People Would Have To Die? Nope 29 3727 April 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Yeah....Way Too Many Fucking Morons Running Around Loose in this Country Minimalist 37 8357 February 3, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How many has god killed? IATIA 48 9295 December 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: robvalue