Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Existential Fallacy
The Existential Fallacy
I learned a new fallacy today.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/existent.html
I'm going to try to put this into my own words. The existential fallacy is when a class is assumed to not be empty.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: The Existential Fallacy
Right, that's a good one.

Sort of connected to the loaded question? Which God is real?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think it may be more connected to begging the question.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
.. or argumentum bullshittery.
Wow, that website is everything that I pretty much learned in my Introduction to Logic class this past Wednesday. Actually, some of my homework that I was going to do today is just that. Basically, the ancient philosophers came up with these diagrams to express the relationships in which the categories of all claims fall: universal affirmatives, universal negatives, particular affirmatives, and particular negatives. In simpler terms, All S are P (A-type), No S are P (E-type), Some S are P (I-type), and Some S are not P (O-type). The idea of existential import basically means that when S is a subject that does not exist in some veritable manner, the relationships between the different categorical propositions (alternation and subalternation) break down so that the only thing left to differentiate them is contradiction, or rather: statements about non-existing entities fall either to the proposition that All S are P or No S are P, of which both can be stated as true.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: I learned a new fallacy today.
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/existent.html
I'm going to try to put this into my own words. The existential fallacy is when a class is assumed to not be empty.

Your summary is accurate. But most of the people stating premises using this fallacy won't understand it. How about:

The ability to define a thing or things, does not cause that thing or those things to exist. Nor does defining a real thing or things cause the antithesis of that thing or things to exist.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The jury is still out on whether or not pointing out universes in the multiverse that are not part of the multiverse destroys them.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Existential Inertia vs. Sustaining First Cause GrandizerII 8 1141 August 24, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Fallacy List Foxaèr 12 3714 May 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  Dealing with existential nihilism Angst King 113 17902 April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  fallacy ref! - funny and informative drfuzzy 3 1007 November 17, 2015 at 11:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Deliberate use of fallacy bennyboy 40 6988 April 9, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Existential Import Mudhammam 9 1969 April 5, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Does this work express the feelings of existential angst shakuntala 1 821 November 21, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  The naturalistic fallacy and masturbation Clueless Morgan 22 3671 October 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I am coining a new fallacy - the Wiki fallacy Simon Moon 8 2555 August 10, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Existential comics CapnAwesome 7 3536 December 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon