Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Non profit" "org" really a gas lobby group.
"Non profit" "org" really a gas lobby group.
This shit needs to stop. This Orwellian bullshit is is allowing old fuel technology to continue to hurt our planet.

https://www.facebook.com/Energy.Tomorrow

Please feel free to go to their website and tell them to knock it off.
RE: "Non profit" "org" really a gas lobby group.
I don't understand what is the problem. Care to explain? Isn't marketing your products valid?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

What the fuck?

No not when your product causes damage to the entire planet. Scientists are saying we have been burning fossil fuels far too long and at an unsustainable level. This has nothing to do with improving technology, it is nothing short of corporate greed.

Protecting business "just because" is as bad as protecting religious claims "just because". It isn't a matter of getting rid of either. It is a matter of accepting the pragmatic reality that you need to leave the past behind and work to a better future. Our species cannot afford to continue using fossil fuels.

It took several decades for scientists to convince the fuel industry to remove led from gas. It took forever for the car industry to adapt better safety standards. It should not take humans forever to adapt to better data.

Corporate "scientists" really are nothing more than apologists, not problem solvers. The most important thing in scientific method is to go where the evidence leads, not justify excuses to do damage to make a profit.
I actually think that the worst aspect of current fossil fuel use isn't the damage, but the waste. Fossil fuels represent tremendous amounts of energy in a breezily consumable form that took a very long time to accumulate. We might do better with these substances then set them on fire to push our buggies or keep our 8 tvs on all night.

Add that to your arsenal, so that you can argue against fossil fuel use even with people who demand that you accept the value of fossil fuel. Agree with them, and then shake your finger at them for squandering such a precious resource. What do we want from oil, for example....a short run of powered buggies or an endless number of iv bags?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Even if it were not polluting the planet, which it is, it is still using old technology. It would be like insisting on using rotary phones in an age of cell phones.
Has Orwellian become a word that has lost its meaning? Since when did private citizens organizing to petition their government become Orwellian?

There are only two viable alternatives right now: steep conservation and nuclear power. When was the last time you saw a concerted effort given to conserving energy? Anything said about it is lip service anyway, historic demand for power demonstrates this. Unless we jack up prices through outragous taxes, demand won't change out of concern for the environment. It's an addiction, but even many of those concerned don't make a concerted effort to change consumption habits.

Nuclear power is a viable alternative if the concern is really the environment; however, the general/ignorant populous are afraid of nuclear power which means that most governments don't have the political fortitude to approve new generation. Other technologies simply aren't ready or are the wrong course of action. Solar, wind, and tidal simply couldn't put a dent in demand, particularly if there is any mass transition to electric transportation in the near future. Biomass is a dangerous game because we will then directly affect the availability of staple food crops.
(February 3, 2015 at 3:43 pm)Cato Wrote: Has Orwellian become a word that has lost its meaning? Since when did private citizens organizing to petition their government become Orwellian?

There are only two viable alternatives right now: steep conservation and nuclear power. When was the last time you saw a concerted effort given to conserving energy? Anything said about it is lip service anyway, historic demand for power demonstrates this. Unless we jack up prices through outragous taxes, demand won't change out of concern for the environment. It's an addiction, but even many of those concerned don't make a concerted effort to change consumption habits.

Nuclear power is a viable alternative if the concern is really the environment; however, the general/ignorant populous are afraid of nuclear power which means that most governments don't have the political fortitude to approve new generation. Other technologies simply aren't ready or are the wrong course of action. Solar, wind, and tidal simply couldn't put a dent in demand, particularly if there is any mass transition to electric transportation in the near future. Biomass is a dangerous game because we will then directly affect the availability of staple food crops.

It is not a matter of giving one shit how many don't care, it is up to the ones who know it is a problem to convince those in power to care.
Yeah, this is not Orwellian.

The website is priceless, though. It reeks of propaganda.

(February 3, 2015 at 3:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is not a matter of giving one shit how many don't care, it is up to the ones who know it is a problem to convince those in power to care.

You see, this is why I can't take your online activism seriously, Brian. You don't even understand what you're up against.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 3, 2015 at 3:54 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Yeah, this is not Orwellian.

The website is priceless, though. It reeks of propaganda.

(February 3, 2015 at 3:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is not a matter of giving one shit how many don't care, it is up to the ones who know it is a problem to convince those in power to care.

You see, this is why I can't take your online activism seriously, Brian. You don't even understand what you're up against.

Yes I do, "do nothing because they are bigger". Look man I don't care, if I motivate enough people to raise their voices I have done my job. Do nothing, get nothing. I don't care how big they are.
Except delusionally trying to do something in an uninformed manner is no better than doing nothing.

Look, it's not about how big they are. It's about how you, or anyone else for that matter, are of absolutely no threat to the big oil companies if you can't affect their consumer base. As long as the demand for their product is there, it will be business as usual.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Endfamilyfire.org Gawdzilla Sama 2 272 April 25, 2020 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Thumbs Down Gun Control Crowd Safer? - and a control group onlinebiker 131 9702 April 21, 2020 at 5:24 am
Thumbs Up Last Non-winter onlinebiker 110 4342 April 6, 2020 at 4:12 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 743 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  New Gun Regulations In The US Would Be Really, Really Stupid BrianSoddingBoru4 135 11944 May 6, 2019 at 4:55 am
  Non-discrimination for atheists Dr H 33 4361 February 26, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Saudi group posts photo of plane about to hit Toronto's CN tower... ReptilianPeon 17 2548 August 10, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Non-religious countries experience greater economic growth Foxaèr 1 319 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A non-scientist has been appointed head of NASA. c172 7 1098 April 23, 2018 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  German non-Muslim runs over a crowed, killing 3 WinterHold 28 4118 April 9, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII