Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rejected] - iFrame
[Rejected] - iFrame
How about an iFrame tag so we can insert web pages into our posts without having to redirect people away with links etc.

I haven't thought this through so feel free to point out any obvious problems.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: iFrame
I'm just going to ignore Darwinian's obvious descent into madness.
Is it really that bad Confusedhock:
Ok, so apparently you were being serious. Tongue

1) Iframes are annoying. You are loading another page inside an already loaded page, which means more HTTP connections, more downloading, etc. It goes against every principle of web design as well...when people want to view a web page, they'll click on the link or type it in. They don't want to be forced to download / view other pages.

2) Iframes can be exploited. You can set an Iframe to a malware site, or a site with malicious javascript. Instead on depending on people clicking the link, you know that everyone viewing the page will get to the malware site. I once co-wrote a recursive Iframe exploit that managed to crash several browsers (notable exceptions were Firefox and Safari).

3) What the fuck is wrong with a link...especially in modern tabbed browsers.

4) Oh yeah, and Iframes are a pain to navigate as well. Pages are meant to be rendered as standalone things, not in the limited area of an Iframe.
I'm going to sit in a corner now and rock slowly back and forth... Panic
I hate iframes with a passion.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(March 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm just going to ignore Darwinian's obvious descent into madness.

I laughed out loud. Well played.
(March 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I hate iframes with a passion.

And I didn't even know what they were :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Me neither but they sound lame and I trust Adrian's nerdtastic code knowledge.