Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we going to be able to stop Climate Change?
It seems that there are too many people who live in a fantasy world where there is no Climate Change, and whenever we show them evidence to the contrary, they give bogus rebuttals that have no legitimacy. I'm literally scared for the lives of my nieces and nephew, and my kids if me and my girlfriend ever decide to have any, probably not, but no rush. Will we be able to stop Climate change from killing us before we pass the tipping point?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: Are we going to be able to stop Climate Change?
Of course not, climate has been changing for thousands of years, if not millions, we are so obsessed with the weather, its like going back to the times of cave men thinking the gods are mad lol.
(February 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm)IanHulett Wrote: It seems that there are too many people who live in a fantasy world where there is no Climate Change, and whenever we show them evidence to the contrary, they give bogus rebuttals that have no legitimacy. I'm literally scared for the lives of my nieces and nephew, and my kids if me and my girlfriend ever decide to have any, probably not, but no rush. Will we be able to stop Climate change from killing us before we pass the tipping point?
Hopefully the effects of climate change are not out right catastrophic and maybe with the weather turning gradually worse, people will wise up and try to change the problem.

But the real problem at hand is obvious there are not enough pirates

I have seen no real evidence that there is a major climate change in our near future. There very well may be though, as it has been changing for eons and there is no reason that it would not continue. It is unlikely that we could stop it as the numerous variables involved are beyond the scope of present day computer forecasting. We cannot forecast the weather for more than three days, maybe a week with luck.

The present information is based on trends and trends are just that. They can change at any time. Stock markets have trends. It goes up until it goes down.

Other planets in the solar system are experiencing 'global warming'.

And IF, a BIG IF, mankind had any effect, it would be because of technology and mankind is not going to give that up. Are the 'green people' giving up their cars and electricity and A/C? Are the lawmakers giving up their technological comforts?

What will be, will be and we will just have to deal with it like mankind has done in the past.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I'm not sure where any tipping point might be. I've heard 300 ppm carbon in the atmosphere is the safe line, and we're quite a ways above that.

My view is that even if the current warming trend is not anthropogenic -- and I'm reasonably convinced it is -- but even if it is not, it behooves us to minimize ghg output to avoid driving the natural cycle into a feedback loop that could be catastrophic. Better safe than sorry.

(February 6, 2015 at 11:20 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: My view is that even if the current warming trend is not anthropogenic -- and I'm reasonably convinced it is -- but even if it is not, it behooves us to minimize ghg output to avoid driving the natural cycle into a feedback loop that could be catastrophic. Better safe than sorry.

This. It doesn't matter if it's anthropogenic or not. The impact of greenhouse gases is undeniable (*). The Earth's climate will change for the warmer eventually, at least on the timescale of tens of thousands of years or more, but let's not rush it, m'kay?

(*) if you're not an idiot, that is.
Nah...we're fucked.

Glad I don't have grandchildren.
I like climate change. I hate the cold.
During the 50's and 60's we were having below normal temps. Also we were having above average snow fall and people were crying about a mini ice age. Now the temps are on the rise, mostly at the poles and the ice is going. Cycles are a norm in weather.
As for what man can do, not much. What can we really do clean up our own mess, reduce pollution stop wasting energy and stop playing politics. It could still get warmer, but at least we would have a cleaner place to bake.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 7, 2015 at 12:11 am)KUSA Wrote: I like climate change. I hate the cold.

That's not how climate change works, though. Pumping more energy in the atmosphere can lead to extremes in both directions.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When did this change? onlinebiker 6 428 October 4, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Going to buy a gun onlinebiker 46 2453 October 17, 2021 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Spooky
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1112 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 618 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 802 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2332 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1513 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  It's going to be a WARM winter onlinebiker 8 929 October 9, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I am going naked on here to challenge my wife to do the same. funcouple 19 1645 August 31, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are you going to let him do that? onlinebiker 4 1059 August 22, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath