Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theism in animal minds
Theism in animal minds
I've heard that belief in God is just an extension of capabilities used in social interactions. A person must imagine the mind of the other person (motivations, feelings, etc.). Sometimes a person must imagine the mind of another person even when that person is not present. And it is just one more step to imagine the mind of a person that never has existed - God.

So it seems likely that social animals like cats, dogs, birds would become theists. The tendency to imagine God requires less cognitive ability than the ability to realize there is no God.

Instead of thinking that the default condition is atheism, it seems to me that the default condition is theism, and atheism is the next step in human evolution.
RE: Theism in animal minds
Dennett argues that theism is an extension of the tendency to assign agency to certain objects around you, which is a very important ability which we share with other animals. It lets us recognize companions as well as predators. When this sense runs wild, a dog will bark at a random noise, and we will think the weather has a will of its own.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

We're clever enough to ask the questions but dumb enough to think we can answer them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 7, 2015 at 1:19 pm)robvalue Wrote: We're clever enough to ask the questions but dumb enough to think we can answer them.

The life of the theoretical physicist in a nutshell Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(February 7, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Alex K Wrote: Dennett argues that theism is an extension of the tendency to assign agency to certain objects around you, which is a very important ability which we share with other animals. It lets us recognize companions as well as predators. When this sense runs wild, a dog will bark at a random noise, and we will think the weather has a will of its own.

There's a bit of a leap in barking at the wind and attributing the actions of that wind to an all seeing all knowing deity. This Dennett guy sounds like he's talking a bit of shit to me.
If it sounds unconvincing or wrong, it's surely becauese I failed at giving a coherent 1 line summary of a book I've read 5 years ago... Dennett is a very smart guy.

I think I understand what he's saying. It's just, to me, there's a giant difference between attributing a mind/personality/whatever you want to call it to an object, and then suggesting the idea of a deity that is behind that object. But maybe I don't understand it.
One of my cats definitely sees me in a servant role. A tragically and hopelessly flawed servant.

The other one, however, really does acknowledge me as a superior being. While cute and endearing, it is pretty silly, it's just when he looks up at me, I can tell the little hairball is about to burst with admiration. It would really be nice if the OTHER cat could at least try to fake that sentiment once in a while.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Dogs - "humans feed me, love me, shelter me. They must be gods.

Cats - "humans feed me, love me, shelter me. I must be a god"

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I seem to have a mutual worship thing going on with my dog.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36027 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6158 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4110 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5274 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 15672 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1543 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3402 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheism and Theism Comparison The Joker 86 11989 November 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Benefits of atheism and theism robvalue 9 3007 January 13, 2015 at 9:57 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theism/Atheism - Real Definitions Forsaken 26 6246 January 6, 2015 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Dystopia