Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell?
How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell?
Today, I went to my girlfriends house. Her cousin was there too. He brought up the area of the bible that mentions the rapture and said non-believers will stay here and believers will be raptured. He wasn't actually trying to threaten me with eternal damnation or whatever though (he's not really all that religious himself), he just wanted to know what I thought of those areas of the bible.

I responded:

"To me, it's just fear mongering. The people who say these things are actually presenting an argument from intimidation fallacy by saying you either need to believe this, or this will happen to you."

Since he brought it up, it made me think of the religious nutjobs who say that we're gonna burn in hell for lacking a belief in a God(s), and so I decided I wanted to talk about this. How do you guys handle religious people who threaten you with eternal agony in a pit of lava if you don't convert?
If pinkie pie isn't real, then how do you explain the existence of ponies, huh? If ponies are real, then that's proof that Pinkie Pie is real. Checkmate, christians!  Heart

-- Book of Pinkie Pie 7:3
RE: How do you deal with people who tell you you'll burn in hell?
Tell him that god doesn't exist. It pisses them off pretty badly. Alternatively, tell them that if hell exists then 99.9% of the population is going to hell if we account probabilites
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I tell them to fuck off. You don't get to threaten me without realizing exactly what you've done.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I simply respond with this:
"That's ok. They've got a better band and an open wet bar."
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I usually ask them if they're ready for Ragnarrok.

Wink Shades
Dying to live, living to die.
Only happened a couple of times but I just grin/laugh. Its too ridiculous to take seriously.
I generally tell them to settle down or they will be there long before I will. Devil
Auntie Kookoo
Disclaimer: Wacky
(February 8, 2015 at 10:49 pm)kookookachoo Wrote: I generally tell them to settle down or they will be there long before I will. Devil

New person!

Where's my gun??

Just kidding. Welcome!

Cool Shades
Dying to live, living to die.
If someone tells me I'll burn in hell if I don't accept Jesus, I say I can't accept Jesus because he burns people in hell for eternity. When they say Jesus doesn't send people to hell, I tell them he created a place for people to go that don't beg him to not send them there. I mean Hitler may not have personally shoved anyone in a gas chamber, but the concentration camps were his idea. The devil's in the details, as it were. When people want you to accept Jesus as your lord and savior, you need to think about exactly what that means.

If someone is ok with all that, like my grandmother is, there's nothing I can do about it. I don't find it acceptable, and there's not really anything I can do about it. Especially when you get into the discussion of which hell you mean, since both christianity and islam preach hell. And islam's version of hell is apparently even worse than christianity's.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Put fist through his face
But seriously tell him to "it's better than kissing immoral ass who burns people for not liking him."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 619 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Deal alert -- just bought The God Delusion for $3.73 Jehanne 5 718 March 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Peterkin
  Do you tan or burn? Or both. EgoDeath 39 3027 February 8, 2019 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1289 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to deal with crooked people onlinebiker 54 7339 January 22, 2019 at 3:19 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 970 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  (Yet Another) Tell Us About You Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2581 September 12, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  a New Way to Deal with an Old Problem Rhondazvous 9 1321 June 13, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20259 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9149 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus