Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Million Dollar Prize for Math proof of NP problems
Million Dollar Prize for Math proof of NP problems
<snip>

<snip>

One of the deepest questions in computer science is called P vs. NP, and answering the question would earn you a million-dollar prize. P vs. NP is one of the Clay Mathematics Institute Millennium Prize Problems, seven problems judged to be among the most important open questions in mathematics.

P vs. NP is about finding algorithms, or computer programs, to solve particular math problems, and whether or not "good" algorithms exist to solve these problems. Good algorithms allow a computer to come up with a solution to a problem relatively quickly, even if the size of the input to the problem is very large. Problems for which computer scientists have found good algorithms are said to be in the "complexity class" P.

However, there are a large number of problems for which the best-known algorithms are not efficient, and can take an extremely long time to run on even the fastest computers. Some of these problems have very important applications to computer and industrial design, internet security, and resource allocation. Problems that have a good algorithm for checking a given possible solution but that don't necessarily have a good algorithm for finding solutions are in the complexity class NP.

The million-dollar question is whether the two complexity classes P and NP equal each other. P is contained in NP: Any problem that can be solved quickly by a computer can also have a particular possible answer quickly checked by a computer. The reverse — whether NP is contained in P — is unknown: We don't know whether problems that have a good algorithm for checking answers also have good algorithms for finding answers.

Most computer scientists and mathematicians think that the two classes are not equal: that there are some problems in NP that are not in P. Yet this has never been mathematically proven. Finding efficient algorithms for the hard problems in NP, and showing that P = NP, would dramatically change the world. On the other hand, finding a proof that no such algorithms exist, and that P ≠ NP, would likely involve a huge leap in our understanding of the nature and limitations of computers.
RE: Million Dollar Prize for Math proof of NP problems
The answer is 7. Where do I collect my money?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, I've heard of this. It's a bloody hard question.

Security measures often rely on problems being "hard to solve", and if it was actually discovered that they aren't as hard as they seem, there would be big issues. The prize money is nothing compared to what would have to be spent to deal with the consequences!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'd rather do the lottery.
I have faith that the answer is six. I know it is true because my family has believed it for generations and my uncle was beat up for it, and you know, no one ever takes a beating for a lie! I have an old math book that has tonnes of sixes in it and several of it's equations have been proven true as well. How can anyone doubt that six is the answer unless they are corrupted by evil?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Bleen
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3186 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5281 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1022 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6918 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1902 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13685 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5895 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1458 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10793 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13630 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas