Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalam argument under attack
Kalam argument under attack
Most of us are familiar the Kalam's cosmological argument and its flaws. It is still used today because science says the our universe had a beginning. This might not be the case anymore.

Quote:Using the quantum-corrected Raychaudhuri equation, Ali and Das derived quantum-corrected Friedmann equations, which describe the expansion and evolution of universe (including the Big Bang) within the context of general relativity.
[...]
In cosmological terms, the scientists explain that the quantum corrections can be thought of as a cosmological constant term (without the need for dark energy) and a radiation term. These terms keep the universe at a finite size, and therefore give it an infinite age. The terms also make predictions that agree closely with current observations of the cosmological constant and density of the universe.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum...e.html#jCp

This model is still in hypothesis stage. If it is confirmed, it will remove all scientific support for Kalam's argument.

Here is the link to the actual paper for those who are interested.
RE: Kalam argument under attack
Those are a lot of words that I understand about half of. Is there a really dumbed down version of it?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Well I read it understood all the words individually but in that order....
I think I need someone to dumb it down a tad.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Does science really say the universe had a beginning at the moment? I thought it said that what happened prior to a certain point is unknown.

Kalam is a terrible argument, anyway. It doesn't even get to god, let alone a favourite god.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 9, 2015 at 2:10 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Those are a lot of words that I understand about half of. Is there a really dumbed down version of it?

Yes: Kalam is dumb. Big surprise. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 9, 2015 at 2:10 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Those are a lot of words that I understand about half of. Is there a really dumbed down version of it?

Not so great minds think alike.Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

There's no need to scientifically refute the Kalam argument. It fails on its own just fine.

Still, it would be kind of neat to rub something like this in WLC's face.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

I second this. I'm usually pretty in-the-know, but...

(February 9, 2015 at 2:08 pm)Surgenator Wrote: Most of us are familiar the Kalam's cosmological argument and its flaws.

Could you define "Kalam's cosmological argument". Or, alternatively, "most", "us", and "are".
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Oversimplified version: The authors applied a quantum mechanics corrections to general relativity. This ellimanted the Big Bang as a infinitely small point with all the mass and energy in it. It produced a finite size that is infinity old i.e. the universe had no beginning.
(February 9, 2015 at 2:16 pm)Surgenator Wrote: Oversimplified version: The authors applied a quantum mechanics corrections to general relativity. This ellimanted the Big Bang as a infinitely small point with all the mass and energy in it. It produced a finite size that is infinity old i.e. the universe had no beginning.

Define 'oversimplified'...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dyson Sphere under construction? Mr Greene 64 12405 October 14, 2017 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Entropy, Kalam, and First Cause GriffinHunter 69 10078 March 19, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Olympus sized vulcano found under the pacific. Anomalocaris 5 3110 September 11, 2013 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Minimalist