Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dinner Party Of The Dead
Dinner Party Of The Dead
Here's yet another time-travel thread.

Assume you have a one-way time transporter - you cannot travel though time, but you can bring people back from the past. What ten dead people (or eight or fifteen, whatever you like) would you have to a dinner party? They can be famous, infamous, unknown, long dead, recently dead, anything you like. The only stipulations are that they must be historic figures (no fictional people, please) and they must be dead. Here are mine, paired up for lively conversations.

-Christopher Hitchens
-Mother Theresa

-Vlad Tepes
-St Francis of Assisi

-Mark Twain
-William Jennings Bryan

-George Carlin
-Pope Alexander VI

-Bishop Ussher
-T.H. Huxley

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Dinner Party Of The Dead
Can they speak English?

There's not much point in bringing Genghis Khan to the present if I can't speak his tongue.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Love your list, Brian. :p

Have to add - Isaac Newton & Robert Hooke
(February 10, 2015 at 7:11 pm)Cinjin Wrote: There's not much point in bringing Genghis Khan to the present if I can't speak his tongue.

I'm sure he'd still be an interesting guest.
I'd bring back the founding fathers just because they would actually get something done.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Screw it - I'll just assume that everyone at my dinner party can speak fluent English and communicate flawlessly with each other by some means of magical/scientific time travel blah blah blah ....

My list would very likely include:

Galileo Galilei - Because I'd want to blow his mind with what we now know about his theories, etc.

Edgar Allen Poe - because he's was probably a really weird dude who would talk about really weird stuff.

Emperor Constantine - Because I want to ask him how he REALLY felt about Christianity

Jesus - So me and Constantine could smack him in the mouth and make him eat at the kiddy table with Muhammad and Adolf Hitler

Adolf Hitler and Muhammad - to hassle the dirty hippy, Jesus

Albert Einstein - I don't know. He just always looked like an interesting fellow.

Napoleon - Common, arguably the greatest conqueror who ever lived. That's worth a dinner chat.

Plato - I sorta want to play devil's advocate to some lively debate he cooks up.

Joan of Arc - Because every dinner conversation should have a fiery chick. (sorry, bad pun)

Benjamin Franklin - because every party needs a bad-ass party animal!

I was just doing this the other day on FB. I think maybe at Atheist Republic. Anyhow, this is fun, and bears redoing probably daily (plus, on FB, they could be live).

Van Gogh (painter)
Jeff Smith (frugal gourmet)
Carl Sagan (the dude!)
Tchaikovsky (composer)
Lem Tucker (CBS newsreader)
William E. Boeing (aviation pioneer)
Alexander Gorsky (early Nutcracker choreographer)
George Ellery Hale (astronomer)
Hilary Grivich (gymnast)
Eva Markvoort (subject of 65 Red Roses movie).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I would just bring women from different time periods and create a harem.
(February 10, 2015 at 7:38 pm)FlyingSpaghettiMonster Wrote: I would just bring women from different time periods and create a harem.

Ummm, buddy, you don't need a time machine to get women.
Get a bank account and a nice ride.

(February 10, 2015 at 7:11 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Can they speak English?

There's not much point in bringing Genghis Khan to the present if I can't speak his tongue.

My badski - I clearly forgot to mention the well known linguistic side effect of time-dilative corporeal extraction.

No, they will not speak English. However, you - as the operator of the machine - will be able to understand everything said to you by the people you bring forward. A further side effect that I just made up is that ALL your guests will be able to understand you as well as each other.

Good catch.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funeral or reveal party? c172 57 7358 August 14, 2023 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Ultimate Dinner Party onlinebiker 10 929 October 23, 2019 at 11:05 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Party like it's 19999? The Valkyrie 47 8814 April 18, 2018 at 4:25 am
Last Post: KittyAnn
  party like it's 399? SaStrike 14 2071 April 17, 2018 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What are you making for Thanksgiving dinner? Joods 85 10233 November 24, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Rainbow Flamboyance in rainbow colors for a party-HALP J a c k 23 2101 August 19, 2017 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Athene
  Dinner for a Francophile girl mcolafson 10 2268 September 26, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A Third Party Candidate? SteelCurtain 14 1342 June 5, 2016 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Your Top 5 favorite users on AF forums you want to have dinner with ErGingerbreadMandude 294 38354 February 25, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Forum game: who from AF would you invite to your party? emjay 301 29687 January 9, 2016 at 6:45 am
Last Post: Longhorn