Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parker's Pie
Parker's Pie
I was in the mood for pizza last night, and out here in the middle of nowhere you're not going to be calling in a delivery, so that means a little kitchen-work is in order.

So the first thing I wanted to do is get my sauce going. I don't make my sauce from scratch for pizza -- it isn't worth the trouble. What I do is grab a couple of 8-oz cans of unsalted tomato sauce from the market, and add to that about half a good Roma tomato, diced fine, a couple of thin slices of red onion, again diced fine, and three or four cloves of garlic, minced.

[Image: 2ymcegw.jpg]

To that I'll add about a tablespoon apiece of fresh basil and fresh oregano, both chopped fine. I put that on the stove, on low, throw in a dash of Worcestershire sauce, some seasoned salt, and grind some pepper into it. Raise it to a boil, then drop it to dead low, cover and let it simmer for twenty or thirty minutes. That gives you time to chop your toppings.

Me, I like sweet Italian sausage, cubed dry salame, mushrooms, green peppers, lots of cheese, red onions, zucchini, and green and calamata olives.

[Image: ev9aus.jpg]

I brown the sausage in a little olive oil so's I don't get worms and whatnot:

[Image: xdh92o.jpg]
Pic from an earlier pizza, not last night's.

Then I prep my dough. Sometimes I use Pillsbury's canister pizza dough, but tonight I used Krusteaz's flatbread mix. First time, experiment, and it really wasn't bad. Still too doughy for a pizza crust, but anyway, mix it up, and --

[Image: b9dsb6.jpg]

[Image: 295bw55.jpg]

... and then top it:

[Image: 2moxvz8.jpg]

[Image: 34zmte9.jpg]

Into the oven for fifteen minutes at around 400°F, with the last minute raising your oven to a broil:

[Image: 3522g4p.jpg]

It's probably too much work, but goddamn, it tastes better than anything brought to your door.

RE: Parker's Pie
Dayum, when can we come for dinner? Hungry
Fucking shit I'm hungry now. Not cool Parker, not cool.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Why why do you americans put so much stuff on your pizzas ?

(jk it looks very nice, good job buddy)
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(February 11, 2015 at 3:08 am)Lucanus Wrote: Why why do you americans put so much stuff on your pizzas ?

It's not just Americans. Our Italian friends also complain about our pizza being too busy. It's just a different kind of pizza, a bit like german and belgian beer. It's both called beer, but in the end one has 1000 ingredients, the other 4.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Pizza is also good if you cook it on the grill. We put a few bricks on the rack and put the pizza pan on the bricks so that the bottom of the pizza won't burn.
(February 11, 2015 at 8:06 am)Alex K Wrote:
(February 11, 2015 at 3:08 am)Lucanus Wrote: Why why do you americans put so much stuff on your pizzas ?

It's not just Americans. Our Italian friends also complain about our pizza being too busy. It's just a different kind of pizza, a bit like german and belgian beer. It's both called beer, but in the end one has 1000 ingredients, the other 4.

I guess that makes sense Tongue

Though I like my pizzas simple, metaphorically speaking, in a less is more kind of way
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

(February 11, 2015 at 8:20 am)Lucanus Wrote: Though I like my pizzas simple, metaphorically speaking, in a less is more kind of way

That's like, the first time this week that the phrase actually makes sense Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

[Image: IMG_20150211_134038617.jpg]

That's an appropriate oven Tongue right before my eyes every day!

Pizza dough is actually fairly simple to make from scratch ( and delicious). It's pretty easy too, I use:

100ml warm water
1 pack yeast (7g)
150g strong flour
teaspoon of oil
teaspoon of sugar ( not heaped or it will taste too sweet)
teaspoon of salt ( not heaped)

Knead for 5 mins then leave in a bowl in a warm place with a cover on the top for 30mins to an hour.

As for the tomato base, a good passata does the job very nicely.

IMHO you can't beat good authentic Italian pizza, althoguh American style is good for a filthy treat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Cherry Pie ShaMan 10 1291 September 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  I have just cooked my first pie. Violet 17 2441 January 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Violet