Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question to atheists
A question to atheists
Okay so I don't want you to be confused by the title of this thread, I am agnostic.

So here's the story. A while ago I was arguing with my mom about what we both believed in. She is a very religious Catholic. She was telling me a story about how one time she went into a church and suddenly, the priest or whatever from that church came to her and told my mom that she should get back in a relationship with Mary (Jesus' mother). Funny enough, my mom was a bit "distant" ( I don't know how else[/size][/font] to describe it) with Mary at that time. For example she didn't pray to her and things like that.

The question is: When arguing with a religious person, how does a non-religious person respond with something "supernatural" like that??
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."
RE: A question to atheists
It's such a vague statement that probably any christian would find a way to have it apply to themselves. Especially as Mary isn't usually the focus of attention.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
There's no need for a response at all: without any indication that the topic under discussion is extant, there's no need to seriously consider it. That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. If you're really looking to move the conversation along, "why?" is always a good choice; "why do you believe that?"

The paucity of content in the answer you get should be most enlightening.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Indeed. I was going to write that too but then I realized what an extremely easy con this particular one was. I think I may have even heard of it before. It's cheap trickery.

Funnily enough, I'm going to be tackling this exact kind of topic on my blog soonBig Grin

And no matter what, no one can ever demonstrate supernatural causality. That is impossible. Even if no one in the world can come up with a rational, natural explanation, all that means is that we don't know. Any supernatural explanation can't possible be verified, and any made up one is as good as any other. He was possessed by a special mind reading dragon from China. A metaphysical truth seed nudged his brain. There's no way to distinguish between these and "God told him stuff". Just because he made the prediction and was "right" that doesn't mean he is also right if he starts driveling about supernatural things. It's still up to him to demonstrate that supernatural event, which of course is impossible. So it should be dismissed, along with all other unfalsifiable claims (anything supernatural).

If he says that exact line to a hundred christians he's probably going to get at least 90% finding a way to apply it to themselves and that's good enough for con boy.

Also, people have a tendency to want to make things apply to them. It's why horoscopes continue to fool people. Check this out from Derren Brown, it kind of engulfs this priest example:

http://youtu.be/2bCjzLij54k
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
It's the priest's job to express vague sentiments to people who really want to believe. The ones that don't "fit" are quickly forgotten. The few that do - are blown out of proportion by the recipients. It's the same trick used by frauds who claim to predict future, or talk to the dead - throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I mean, priests are professional con artists. It's their job to get people to believe ridiculous stuff every day.

Index of my best videos
It would be less predictable if he had suggested Krishna or Athena. There's nothing supernatural about a catholic priest advocating a strong relationship with Mary.

Also, lets consider that your mother had been praying to Mary and the priest said the same thing to her. Either she would agree that her relationship could still be better, seeing as feeling of inadequacy are common themes among the faithful, or she would think to herself that it was odd and forget all about it.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Poor priest, he's been hit with the sceptic hammer. Now hit him with an actual hammer for being a tool of evil and a fucking liar.

He knows he's making shit up. (Unless he's actually insane.) Especially this cheap line.

Index of my best videos
Asking "why" and questioning everything that comes across the table is a really good way to think, but acting on it in everyday conversations with people you interact with on a daily basis could get ugly. The important thing is that you learn to think critically, and to choose your battles wisely. Basically what I'm saying is I don't advise arguing with your mother. Some times a smile and a nod is all you need to get through the day.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I had this a couple of years ago. A friend of a friend found I was an atheist (cheers, Shell!) and insisted I explained some 'miracle' experience he'd had. I listened, like I had a choice anyway, then said that I wasn't going to respond to this line of discussion - such as it was - for the simple reason that I wasn't there to share his experience and all I had to go on was the information he was providing. The whole exercise is pointless speculation in a perfect vacuum and I'm not into that. Not with him, anyway.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4620 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13587 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2192 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 56066 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 20365 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21429 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11906 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22552 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11275 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Question for Atheists WonderStruck 51 13655 August 28, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless