Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Chapel Hill incident hypocritical of Anti-Thiests?
Question 
Is the Chapel Hill incident hypocritical of Anti-Thiests?
So I have been talking to an agnostic friend recently and he had a point and Id like to see your points of views on it!
So if you don't know recently a supposedly anti thiest went out onto the street and shot up 3 muslims because he thought they were wrong, Now heres the question, with the shootings in Paris which was caused by a bunch of militant muslims, a bunch of people blamed Islam and there teachings on it!

But is that wrong? Considering an anti thiest shot 3 muslims, no matter how much anti-thiests hate religion, I highly doubt a lot of you want to kill people who believe in it! so should we stop summing up religious based shooting with religion? What do you think?

Link to the article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...38126.html
RE: Is the Chapel Hill incident hypocritical of Anti-Thiests?
I will allow you to post a link to the relevant news story, it pertains to the discussion.

As to the rest, Atheists or anti theists are human just like enyone else.
Well yes. The difference is that atheists, or even anti theists, don't have a book that they pretend is the word of God that clearly has extremely cruel and violent edicts in it. So every muslim is supporting the idea that this evil book should be revered. No atheist is in any way supporting anything to do with another atheist who goes nuts.

Of course I don't blame anyone but shooters for any shootings, but anyone who supports any kind of ridiculous notion of faith and magic books keeps these dangerous ideas alive.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Atheism does not have teachings. We don't have a holy book that tells us to kill people who don't share our beliefs. When a muslim kills a non muslim, he can point to a book that tells him his god wants him to do that. When an atheist does it, it's just because there's something wrong with him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't think it's surprising that vehement anti-theism can feed into obsessive and destructive behavior. Anything that has the potential to make someone think they're better than others, and that others are the enemy carries that risk. Whether that's anti-theism, theism, nationalism, etc.

What makes atheism and anti-theism different is that there isn't a cult of personality surrounding it. There's no mechanism that codifies that kind of hate, nor rewards them for acting out on it. That's why things like this are done by lone wolf types. I'd say the majority of anti-theists are also secular humanists, the kinds of people who want to remove religion through education and thinking critically rather than violence. I know I sure am.

But, yeah... anyone can take a belief to violent ends. Atheists and anti-theists aren't immune to that.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(February 15, 2015 at 3:01 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Atheism does not have teachings. We don't have a holy book that tells us to kill people who don't share our beliefs. When a muslim kills a non muslim, he can point to a book that tells him his god wants him to do that. When an atheist does it, it's just because there's something wrong with him.
(February 15, 2015 at 2:48 pm)robvalue Wrote: Well yes. The difference is that atheists, or even anti theists, don't have a book that they pretend is the word of God that clearly has extremely cruel and violent edicts in it. So every muslim is supporting the idea that this evil book should be revered. No atheist is in any way supporting anything to do with another atheist who goes nuts.

Of course I don't blame anyone but shooters for any shootings, but anyone who supports any kind of ridiculous notion of faith and magic books keeps these dangerous ideas alive.

I agree, but surely the Quran doesnt teach them to kill everyone who betrays Mohammed? The muslims who did this are unlike most muslims and shouldn't sum up every single muslims, althought many can be batshit crazy!
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/...-islam.htm

Islam comes from the same vein as Judaism. Allah and Yahweh are the same person, and Yahweh is one of the most violent people in recorded history. He'll kill you, or have you killed, for just about anything. What makes you think there aren't verses telling muslims to kill people for insulting the Islam equivalent of Jesus?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm)Chad32 Wrote: http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/...-islam.htm

Islam comes from the same vein as Judaism. Allah and Yahweh are the same person, and Yahweh is one of the most violent people in recorded history. He'll kill you, or have you killed, for just about anything. What makes you think there aren't verses telling muslims to kill people for insulting the Islam equivalent of Jesus?

Damn thats fucked up, you win.
Also, it needs to be pointed out, that the motives for these murders seems to be over a parking spot, not because they were Muslim, or because the shooter was an anti-theist. I am not saying that it wasn't motivated by either of these factors, I am just saying that the evidence suggests that it wasn't.

By all accounts this was a heinous crime. I don't think it was completely religiously motivated. That article leaves out a lot of information.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 15, 2015 at 3:04 pm)coolfunkDJ Wrote: I agree, but surely the Quran doesnt teach them to kill everyone who betrays Mohammed?

Sure it does. You're supposed to kill everyone who isn't in the religion with you, including people who leave. This isn't a particularly uncommon command either; christianity has it too, it's just that christians are less likely to take that part literally. They've entered the stage of their religion where all the inconvenient things are to be interpreted, which doesn't appear to be a stage that has fully swept over the younger islamic religion just yet.

Quote:The muslims who did this are unlike most muslims and shouldn't sum up every single muslims, althought many can be batshit crazy!

Here's the thing: there's a difference between the religion, and its adherents. The French shooting doesn't sum up the character of every muslim, but it does sum up the core concepts of that religion. Those muslims that are good people, of which there are many, are that way because they are applying their rationality and compassion to their religion, in varying degrees, and excising those parts of it that conflict with those senses, not the reverse; Islam isn't instilling them with anything moral, they are subtracting the immoral teachings from islam until they produce a religion they find moral.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2246 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2003 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18638 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1114 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25226 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 159138 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15549 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17259 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? ketameankitty 887 161116 December 4, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Cyberman